Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by MapMan, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Drakortha Learned

Drakortha
    Yeah, I actually wish they would reduce the population of hostile mobs in the open zones, in PoF specifically. Combat is way too dull to be pulling mobs from everywhere anytime you step a few feet in any direction. Exploration is the games strong suit and I want more instances where I can do that unhindered.

However, it seems they've purposely gone out of their way to put a hostile mob on every inch of the map to the point where you cannot avoid combat no matter how hard you try. You can only wade through them with the raptor so far, because you get flung off and forced to fight another trash veteran mob that has 100000 health, does 100000 damage, and drops nothing when you kill it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. krilcebre Educated

krilcebre
    How many people are still playing this? I'm kind of interested in starting it again, but I don't want to play in mostly empty zones. Also anyone else interested in starting again?

^ Top  
  3. ProphetSword Arcane

ProphetSword
    I'm still playing. I never see empty zones. The world is still pretty well populated.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. anden Literate

anden
    Yeah it's still alive, i'm playing structured PvP from time to time for fun.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    This thing DIDN'T HAVE build templates??

???????????

what a fucking joke holy shit

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Jesus, and they expect you to pay for more than 6 account-wide slots?

*reads bullshit*

No, they expect you to pay for more than 3 account-wide slots. You get 3 free if you log in in an short timerframe to "enjoy" this new addition.

:badnews:
    But then you can still copy and paste the generated code to save and retrieve your "builds" from an infinite number of slots in notepad, so what's the FUCKING POINT?

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Naraya Arbiter

Naraya
    Water is wet.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    In 2019 a statement like this on the Codex is almost as brave as saying that Fallout 1 > Fallout 3.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Steamboat Willie Savant

Steamboat Willie
    Older Game > Newer Game

Marvel at my profound insight and shower me with praise now.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Not like builds matter.

^ Top  
  12. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    Is this worth playing?

• No No x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. raw Arcane Patron

raw
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    no.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    GW2 is for eRPing a pwetty Charr pwincess in Lions Arch. That's literally all people do now.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. fork Cipher

fork
    And it's so fucking sad.

They had something really special with GuildWars, and they threw everything that was good about it out the window.
    Fucking retards. Everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. raw Arcane Patron

raw
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Because Anet had rotating swastikas dollars in their eyes when they decided that World of Warcraft is the first MMO, the only MMO and the last MMO when they decided to make yet another World of Warcraft Addon.

[​IMG]
    ArenaNet contemplating whether World of Warcraft is the Ubergame.

You have to understand this. Anet was formed by the critical Blizzard Talent behind all of Blizzard's smash hits, most notably Patrick Wyatt and Jeff Strain. They left Blizzard precisely they saw WoW as the treasonous pile of yak dung that it is. Since that fateful day in February 2000, Blizzard has been clinically dead for all intends and purposes and just hemorrhaged more and more talent each year. Meanwhile at Anet, the ex-blizzard talent went on to make the best competitive team game (ESPORTS!!!) to date, long before that festival for imbecile faggots DotA was even a thing. Anet made the mistake to let itself be acquired by NCSoft halfway thru GW1 development, and the asian whores demanded - how could it be any other - yet. another. World of Warcraft addon for a sequel. I can still hear the brains imploding in rage and frustration when the Blizzard/Anet talent was told that they have to make fucking world of warcraft yet again.

Sadly that talent is now scattered far and wide or has quit the industry altogether. But I am fully convinced that if someone brought these fine people together again, gives them money and tells them to execute a good fucking game, they would deliver. Not a single doubt in my mind.

It's a tragedy, but so is life.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Stokowski Arcane

Stokowski
    1 Zerker build
    1 Condi build

What are more slots needed for?

^ Top  
  18. what am i doing Learned

what am i doing
    Mostly a different team that made GW2 compared to the team that made GW1. It wasn't an overnight staff change, but you can sort of see how GW1 was drifting in that direction over time. Initial release, heavily PvP-focused game. First year or two it's getting polished and better and better for PvP, Factions tries to get even the PvE-focused players into some form of PvP via FA/JQ/AB, then Nightfall comes out with minimal PvP integration it its campaign, heroes, lots of PvE-only skills. Then PvP and PvE skills start getting split. Then full hero parties. EotN comes out (by this point the studio is mostly different from Prophecies) and serves mainly as a way of shoehorning shit that isn't part of GW's lore like Asura, "muh good Charr", Norn, etc into GW1 so they can claim all their new trash lore was totally part of the original game and not a massive dump/retcon on the original game.

I don't think the GW2 team could have made a good Prophecies/Factions-style GW1 game if they wanted to, they just inherited something great, pooped on it a little, and then made their own game and naturally it had not much to do with the original game because it was made mostly by different people, including some who had never even played GW1.

Note that I don't think GW2 is a bad game. I think as MMOs go it's actually one of the better ones. It's complete rubbish as a Guild Wars game, because Guild Wars means something and GW2 ain't it, but in and of itself it's not bad.

^ Top  
  19. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    Pat Wyatt's new company formed earlier this year: https://www.onemoregame.com/ No word what they are doing, except something online.

^ Top  
  20. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    this thing is the lead designer of GW2
    [​IMG]

what do you think the answer is?

• honk honk! x 2
    • Rage x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Naraya Arbiter

Naraya
    I listen to the OST quite often, it's so beautiful. :desu:

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    red flags. red flags everywhere.
    yet i'd dick that.

oh, you meant "playing gw2"...

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)