Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Wulfstand

Prophet
Definitely gonna buy this baby when it hits the shelves, can't fucking wait. It's exactly what I wished for GW besides all it already had. And oh God are the graphics beutiful, I mean fuck me those nordic regions in Eotn left me breathless, but this looks to be even better!

Raiding, more varied pvp, a larger persistent world, the same awesome graphics design, the classes seem to be way more fun than ever, and no subscription fees. Ho boy! I wonder if it'll ship before newyear?

edit: presuambly the human starting zone:
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30947

MapMan

Arcane
Oh well, maybe the no healer class thing is not so bad after all? Maybe if all classes get good and varied healing skills the figts will get really interesting, with everyone paying attention to partys HP and what kind of heal is currently needed. I guess we'll only find out after we play. I wonder how will the "I Win" skills work in PVP? :p

In competitive PvP everyone is on equal footing in every aspect, so the idea that someone will win because they have more potions than you in competitive PvP is right out. If potions are part of it, it will be in the skill of how you use them not how many you acquire.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-guild-wars-2/703347

Wow, this sure looks like every other fucking mmo in existence. Seems that magic is now all about CHARGE LAZOR + dodge around like a retard.

:decline:

Black

Arcane
So Risen for example had pretty much combat like every mmo in existence?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
GW1 didn't, however.

And given the hundred million billion hp stuff has later on, I doubt this will be a 3-hit-kill Risen combat, BTW

Wulfstand

Prophet
Darth Roxor said:
GW1 didn't, however.

And given the hundred million billion hp stuff has later on, I doubt this will be a 3-hit-kill Risen combat, BTW

Late game maybe not, but early on, it was. And this is footage from early on content. I don't really like the fact that the level cap is up to 80, but oh well.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
yeah that's too low, should be like 100.

Black

Arcane
AFAIK levels will be in a way that makes you need as much exp to level up from level 3 to level 4 as from level 79 to 80.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
If I decide to play this I'll be max level within half a week anyway.

Tycn

Savant
MapMan said:
Oh well, maybe the no healer class thing is not so bad after all? Maybe if all classes get good and varied healing skills the figts will get really interesting, with everyone paying attention to partys HP and what kind of heal is currently needed.
The cool thing about GW1 PvP was that instead of just heals you'd have a multilayered web of defenses which was sustained by every player. A well placed Diversion or some timely snares could mitigate shitloads of pressure and is much more tactical than a +x health spell. Mandatory heals only cuts down on this versatility.

MapMan

Arcane
1282590000367.jpg

1282591034949.jpg

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Mangoose said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHngeccY1KQ&feature=player_embedded

Interview with our resident Annie :D

Annie, stop by and comment!

Just got back from GamesCom this morning, been trying to tweak my sleeping schedule back to US time and still a little punchy. The show was busy as fuck but MAN - it was amazing. Lines 6-8 bloody long in places for people wanting to play... with a 40 minute demo. Incredible - as a dev it strips the jadedness and tired right off of you like paint thinner to see that kind of dedication. Humbling, too.

The funny thing is that video was taken maybe 30 minutes after the show opened on Wednesday - the press-only day. It started out relatively lower sound and throughout the week, booths basically keep upping the volume until you have to yell and cup your hands around your ears like a deaf person to be able to hear any answer. I also tried to recall the German I knew, but the best I was able to say is "Excuse me/I'm sorry, I can only speak English" and look apologetic, but thankfully 95% of the attendees could at least ask me questions all the same (which, most of the time, involved asking me where they could get a GW2 bag or a shirt like mine [which were for the devs only] but thankfully some were genuine).

So yeah! I'd offer to answer questions here, but there's so much info out there I'd just be repeating what others have said elsewhere, and after over 24 hours without sleep that would be a risky venture. Feel free to bug me with questions, though - between getting to work on GW2 and ZRPG I'm just about the luckiest fucking designer in the world. /strut!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'm mostly interested in plans for PVP and endgame, but you're probably not allowed to answer those.

The dynamic events are the other thing I'm interested in, but I don't really have questions about it anymore - more-so just want to see its implementation and proof that it works.

Shannow

Waster of Time
This "persistent" (really bad wording) world and its dynamic events: I still have a hard time imagining how those will work. Will outposts be overrun again and again will players holding the attacks off again and again? What if the noob areas empty out and people don't manage to hold the attacks off. Will the outposts be lost? Will the npcs stay dead without being simply replaced by other npcs with different names?
Will GW1 stats make a reappearance or will GW2 use more traditional stats?
Will the races differ mainly in appearance, story and racial skills or will they also strongly differ on stats(if those are different from GW1)?

And on a personal note: I ordered GW:EN recently because I'm itching to play. I was wondering what bonusses I can transfer to GW2. I don't really care about titles and pets. So, anything else?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Many game mechanics are still in development/under NDA so I'll just ask one thing - why the huge numbers?
If lvl40 charr necro has 8k hp then lvl80 warrior would have 25k if not more. That's just bad taste :>

Also energy bar values go into thousands - how spell costs work? Are they scaled to level or cost fixed percentage of energy? I like that in GW spells don't change their energy cost so you can quickly decide which spell to cast when getting low on energy etc.

And on a personal note: I ordered GW:EN recently because I'm itching to play. I was wondering what bonusses I can transfer to GW2. I don't really care about titles and pets. So, anything else?

I was interested in this too. Will be those rewards simply cosmetic or will they have some in-game use? Like having cartographer titles in GW would reduce map travel cost or would give a map from your grand-grand-father showing hidden treasure, stuff like that?

Wulfstand

Prophet
Yeah, I really hope we won't get into Wotlk territory of stats, having like 20k hp and 15k mana (or energy) when you hit the level cap.

Tycn

Savant
Is the tactical depth of the game damaged by the removal of secondary professions and the addition of a bigger and more restrictive skillbar, or do the yet to be announced new mechanics make up for these changes?

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
HIGH LVL STUFF AND ENERGY MANAGEMENT: I'm not directly involved in the decision-making stuff for this particular choice, but I'm going to bet that we wanted to make a nice long, lush game, and didn't want you feel like getting to your next level will be a horrible grind. ALSO you might like to know that ourleveling times remain linear, i.e. time to get from lvl 4 -> 5 = time to get from lvl 58 -> 59, and so on, so you're not staring at your xp bar like COME ONNN THIS IS TAKING FOREVURRRR and the like.

Also we have different ranks of weapon skills that move up in power, so I'd be willing to bet the energy cost goes up too. And did I mention the dodge rolls in the 4 main directions? Those cost some energy as well so you've not back-rolling constantly (however fun it may be to do so). I admit that occasionally I'll just spend time strafing and rolling around and saying things like "yay" and "wheeeeee" just because it's such a joy to move around in the world.

TACTICAL DEPTH: In a single phrase - heck yes it's tactically deep. Your weapon choice changes your skill bar, so axes and swords feel different, daggers and staffs, etc. - and there's the cross-profession combo thing, so if I'm a warrior and someone slaps down a fire wall, I can double-axe Eviscerate through that bad boy and throw fire everywhere as I pass through it. That's one example, and I've got tons more. Say I'm a warrior and I see someone shooting an arrow at my peep the elementalist, OH NOES - I can dart over and take that arrow instead, or Shield Block it if I'm quick enough. Or hey there's a tree branch over there, why don't I pick it up and see how it changes my skill bar - maybe I'm gonna break that branch against that ettin's head, or maybe I'll just throw it at his buddy over there. There's tons of examples, and those are the ones we can list right now. You can bet there's gonna be more.

OLD GW STUFF CARRYING OVER: you'll have the forgive the jetlag as I'm a bit sketchier in the exact details of this, but yeah, we definitely want to give recognition to those who played a lot of GW1. I got to meet a ton of fans at GamesCom, and holy crap, they're the most dedicated bunch of folks I've ever met (and a lot of fun to talk to). We'd be a bunch of jerks if we didn't give that proper recognition, and we're not jerks, so yeah. Check out the details about the Hall of Monuments on the ArenaNet blog, and I know there will be a way to reserve your GW1 character name for GW2, and actually Eric Flannum (the lead designer) dropped some new info about it on the Q&A panel he did on Sunday, which I couldn't hear directly since I was out on my lunch break at the time, and the PoisonVille booth (directly behind ours) was so loud on the bass that you halfway heard the talking on the NCSoft stage and halfway just heard the OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ sound of their speakers. But the info exists. So the short answer there is - Hall of Monuments. Awesome stuff. Details to come.

STATS: I believe GW2 uses different ones from GW1. We definitely have new stats when it comes to the dialogue system.

RACES: I dunno about skill points being different between the races, I don't believe we've discussed that as much - I'll look into it (again, Annie in different department). Definitely the story will be a major difference between them - charr's opening questions deal with what legion they're in, for example, while human's deal with what social class they're part of... something relevant to each race's cultural background. And yeah they'll have special racial skills, like the human's Hounds of Balthazar skill and the norn's transformation (nornbear FTW!). So yeah.

EVENTS: I don't work on events directly, and again, jetlag, so I'm going to wuss out and link Colin (content design lead) and Eric (lead designer) talkin' about em - I'll try to rustle someone up to talk about them.
ERIC TALKS
COLIN TALKS

Also I should add - if you guys are really, REALLY hungry for questions, I wouldn't think it amiss if you collected some questions and bugged DarkUnderlord to bug ArenaNet about getting a proper interview with our lads and lasses underway (ESPECIALLY if any of you are going to PAX and will be able to meet us and play our demo in person). I'm looking at you, Codexians. Ask us all formal-like and we will respond!

(also I'll try to keep answering questions as best I can, jetlag or no)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Thanks, Annie!

The thing I'm worried about the "easy grind" is if there is enough things to do at end-game. I worry because a lot of the interesting concepts in GW2 are during the leveling phase - dynamic events and stuff - so I really don't mind a long leveling process. So if the curve is flat, I wonder if at level 80 I'll have to reroll a new character, or will there be lots more dynamic events I'm still motivated to participate in? In addition to of course the famous PVP from GW1.

I think Colin and Eric have done a great job describing the events already. There isn't much for me to do but to wait to see if the final implementation actually works in being different from the typical mold, or if it just ends up being a gimmick.

If I had one question for you to weasel out of them about the event system, it is this: How significant - or "in your face" - are the events? As in, do I have to go out of my way to find them, or will they actually affect my playthrough? For example, I would prefer the latter; In WAR there was the similar public quest system, but you had to run out of your way to find them so that after the initial leveling rush nobody really does them anymore. It would be much more interesting if in GW2, I wanted to buy stuff from the armor merchant at a main village, but then the bandits attacked so that I - and the crowd of people also needing the NPCs - have to fight them off in order to do about my needed business. In this way the dynamic events actually dynamically affect my gameplay instead of me needing to access them proactively.

Some other questions:
x) There is of course no healing class and every class has healing. Do different classes have different types of healing spells, so that there is still some strategy in healing and support choice?
x) WvWvW. I haven't read much about this. How is this going to work? Is it going to be like the persistent PVP border areas in DAOC? Are the 5 races divided or will there be three Human "nations" with three Divinity's Reaches?
x) What department are you actually in, so we can ask you more pertinent questions?

But again, thank you very much, Annie, for answering our questions.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
HALLO I ANSWER UR QUESTIONS <3 OK, last batch for the moment, then I'm going to get some lunch and read the GW2 novel, Ghosts of Ascalon. That's not shameless promotion, it actually IS what I'm going to be doing! Also the novel is quite good FO REELZ.

EVENTS: I like this! A question I can answer, and with specific examples! Whee!
Okay so - you're running by a field of wheat and you hear a farmer yell in panic that bandits are burning his hay. Maybe you help and put out the hay with water buckets, and you kill the bandits. Or maybe you're like "hey man, I'm an adventurer, and I got shit to DO" and you run right by - thus the bandits torch all the hay, and when you go into Shaemoor and you talk to the baker, she's like "hey, sorry, I can't sell you bread - we're fresh out since bandits torched all the wheat." Or a fisherman screams about a huge broodmother down by the dam - if you don't kill that critter, they can't fish down there, and you can't buy stuff from them.

Or how about this - there's a waypoint at the Shaemoor Garrison (which can be used to fast travel for a small fee). An event fires where centaurs attack the garrison. If they're not fought off, they'll knock out and imprison the Seraph protecting the fort, and take it over - thus deactivating the waypoint there. If you want to go to that Garrison and/or buy stuff from merchants there, you've got to retake it from the centaurs (which you can do alone, or join the force of NPC Seraph dispatched to try and take it back) Once you've got it back, that waypoint activates again, and you can revive the downed merchant to buy stuff from them.

These events aren't hidden, NPCs react to them happening, and their effects chain and spread throughout the world. You could level to max and then go back and look at different areas in the game, and very likely event chains that you'd never seen before would be happening, simply because when you played it before, maybe, say, you stopped those centaur from taking over the garrison, so you never needed to take it back. Maybe you prevented bandits from poisoning the water of Shaemoor so you never had to collect an antidote for it. These are small chains I'm talking about here - some of the ones you see in the world are like 5, 10+ events long, and branch in different directions.

...So yeah, it's pretty sweet ;)

OMG HEALING: Each class's method of healing is absolutely different. Necros can summon a blood fiend, which does ranged damage to their foes until a hurt necro decides to reabsorb them as health. Rangers have Heal as One, a skill that heals both them and their pet. Warriors have a skill that gives them adrenaline as well as healing. And they can get different heal skills!

Also say I'm an elementalist and I'm killing the heck out of some dudes with my fire attunement. Then a friend comes along and is like "hey man let's take on some really tough ettins or something," and I'm like "eff yeah," and I swap to water attunement (which is more about life regen than fire's sweet, sweet damage), and now I have skills like Healing Rain that I can drop on an area to heal all friendly critters in that range. That's not even a specific Healing-slot skill, it's just a skill I've got on my staff that HAPPENS to heal.

WvWvW: This probably has the best info current about it. We're not separating it by race, since we don't want to punish friends who don't all want to play as one race type. Also, the human nations have either fallen almost entirely (Ascalon is basically toast, the only thing remaining being the fortress city of Ebonhawke, which is basically under Krytan rule) or inaccessible (Palawa Joko took over Elona and cut it off from outside contact, and Cantha has been out of contact from the outside world for over a hundred years) - so human citizens of Divinity's Reach are simply counted as Krytan citizens (although their racial background may differ from the Krytan norm).

WHAT I DO: I was keeping coy about it before, but since I could give details at GamesCom, I can tell you all about it now - I'm working on the personal story part of the game (along with some incredible developers - which, hell, is in line with the rest of ArenaNet, in that EVERYONE there is amazing at what they do!). So when you play the demo (if you have at GamesCom or you will at PAX) and you go "oh hey, human storyline" - that's me and my team what did that. I'm using human here as a specific reference since it's what's out there on walkthroughs and such on the internets, but in general the development of the personal story for the player is what I'm doing. I loves it, I does :)

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Thanks for your answers.

I would guess that PAX will bring even more reveals about GW2?

Black

Arcane
I just hope there won't by any retarded titles from GW1 such as drunkard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom