Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The horror...FO3 to be Games for Windows Live "enabled&

DemonKing

Arcane
From Gamespot's recent preview:

In fact, the Xbox 360 version of the game (and the PC version of the game, which is being planned to include Games for Windows Live Functionality) will have achievement points that will require you to play through more than once.

This title is truly doomed. GfW Live is a complete abomination and a blight on PC games.

I just give thanks I was never the world's biggest FO fan because if I was I think I'd be slitting my wrists over this one.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Huh? This doesn't really seem different from the achievements on the Orange Box PC version. Please elaborate.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Re: The horror...FO3 to be Games for Windows Live "enab

DemonKing said:
that will require you to play through more than once.

huh what?
I thought beth ultimate goal was to make you complete the game less than once

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Forgive me for being ignorant of Microsoft's post-WinXP shenanigans, but what exactly does this GfWLive do and why is that so bad for PC gaming? (I'm guessing it's a bloated pile of crap with nearly zero new functionality being forced down people's throats, but maybe there's more to it.)

Raapys

Arcane
Haha, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse. And what the fuck's with the ridiculous achivement system every stupid game features now a days.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
a measure of e-peen. Can you use it ? Nope. But it sure is damn cool to have a big number next to it.

to be a bit blunt: it's a next gen version of top-scores. They used to be so popular on arcade shooters but now they put it on EVERY genres imaginable.

Crichton

Prophet
I played Gears of War with the silly LIVE! thing enabled (live tag: dorfsforlyfe) and I never noticed any problem with it. It downloaded patches for me and every now and again it would give me an attaboy for doing something banal (completing a chapter, x many kills with weapon y). I've heard that it's awful for multiplayer, but I generally don't play shooters with other humans (I'm so bad that the computer generally provides enough challenge) and I don't recall hearing about FO3 being multiplayer anyway. So why all the "cancer killing pc games" drama?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
exactly. as long ppl don't use it, they'll shut it down.

DemonKing

Arcane
pkt-zer0 said:
Forgive me for being ignorant of Microsoft's post-WinXP shenanigans, but what exactly does this GfWLive do and why is that so bad for PC gaming? (I'm guessing it's a bloated pile of crap with nearly zero new functionality being forced down people's throats, but maybe there's more to it.)

Games for Windows is actually a half decent iniative - it's basically is a set of standards that PC games have to meet if they want the GfW branding to be applied to their packaging (eg must work under both 32bit and 64bit versions of Vista, must support widescreen resolutions etc).

It's when you add "Live" to the end of the GfW tag that the problems begin. GfWL is basically a subscription service ala what you get on the XBox. If you don't choose to purchase a "Gold" susbscription your product is basically neutered, especially with regards to multiplayer functionality. I guess if you own an XBox it probably doesn't matter as the subscription will cover both PC and XBox titles, but if you're a dedicated PC gamer you're basically being forced to pay for something that you've always got for free and that is done a hell of a lot better by other companies in any case (eg Blizzard's battlenet, Relic Online, Steam etc)

Annonchinil

Scholar
From what I remember Relic Online was not that good. Anyways GfWL is basically a poor 360 port, Steam feels much more PC centric and suprisingly less buggy, I could not even play GeoW online despite having a legitimate copy do to how poor its service is. Who knows, this combined with the UT3 browser and gamespy maybe EPIC is heading into a new direction?

crakkie

Arcane
GfW also paves the way for (non-free) DLC and $60 pricetags for PC games. Fallout 3 will feature both.

Dolar

Novice
Post about this on the Beth forums:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=831324&st=0

Anyone else know GFWL is on XP as well? I sure as hell didn't. And Microsoft sure does not advertise that fact.

And I think its really cute that unless you install the GFWL program, your game won't run single player or multiplayer. I guess there is some DRM garbage built into it as well.

From the WIKI:
It should also be noted that any Games for Windows - LIVE game requires at least Windows XP Service Pack 2. This has drawn attention because if the runtime refuses to install with the purchased product, the entire game, regardless if the player wishes to play the single player element or not, will be completely locked out.

mjorkerina

Scholar
Microsoft is dreaming of getting PC users to buy into the micro payment trend and they will prolly use the GfWL initiative for that effect.

We first person shooter players on the PC always took for granted to have hundreds of free maps to play on the intarweb. Xbox kiddies are actually spending money to buy small map pack. Microsoft is selling 3 maps for Halo3 for 800 points, more or less equivalent to ~10 euros.

Bethesda will be happy to have a platform to sell their horse armor for Fallout 3.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Not to mention that GfW (if you want to go multiplayer) won't let you because only the choosen countries can participate (USA, GB... bla, bal, bla, Poland can go fuck itself) - you have to "cheat" so you can use it - Register in GB or elsewhere.

It's the God damn internet, why can't I regiseter in my country legally?! FUCK M$!

Herbert West

Arbiter
Raapys said:
And to think they blame pirates for loss of sales.

Well, they are culpable to a degree- they give you choice.

EDIT: And if you're in a country with nazi copyright laws, government&media droids give you consequences :wink:

Midwinter

Novice
I don't see the problem. Sure, it's another sign that Bethesda is very focused on the Xbox, but that's hardly news. Does Fallout 3 even have multiplayer? And who cares about achievements?

Nightjed

Liturgist
i played gears of wars (in wxpsp2) without using live , it only forced me to "put a user name" and never bothered me again (it did try to call home all the freaking time but i blocked it with the firewall), i dont think you can install the game without gfwl tho

i wonder if theyll surprise us with fo3 going vista exclusive soon ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom