Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
IWD2 does not support hardware acceleration (despite the nVidia logo being shown during startup), why would anyone want to switch it off?

There are several kinds of hardware acceleration. All of the IE games that use DirectDraw (BG1, PS:T, IWD2) instead of OpenGL (IWD1, BG2) have graphical glitches on modern hardware.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
IWD2 does not support hardware acceleration (despite the nVidia logo being shown during startup), why would anyone want to switch it off?

There's a system patch somewhere that enables 3D acceleration on IWD2 (maybe that's what you meant), thus smoothing the buggy fog of war and getting rid of the numerous lags. I'll try to find it for you guys...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's a system patch somewhere that enables 3D acceleration on IWD2 (maybe that's what you meant), thus smoothing the buggy fog of war and getting rid of the numerous lags. I'll try to find it for you guys...

Uh I just linked it above

It doesn't "enable" anything new though. Just reroutes the DDraw calls.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
There is also a nice post on GoG, where you can tweak the IWD2 with some microsoft tool, making it fast as lightning.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There is also a nice post on GoG, where you can tweak the IWD2 with some microsoft tool, making it fast as lightning.

I'm pretty sure that's unnecessary if you use the mod I linked to. Unfortunately, for some reason, not many people know about it, and lots of guides have proliferated recommending that people use that cumbersome MS tool instead.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Actually it was pretty simple. As i recall you just open the exe with it or something and change the renderer option. That's it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Actually it was pretty simple. As i recall you just open the exe with it or something and change the renderer option. That's it.

It's cumbersome because Infinitron knows a better and more obscure way.

I was thinking of the "Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit" seen in this guide: http://zeckul.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/icewind-dale-2-ultimate-installation-guide/

I've used it, and it's kind of complex as you can see.

Exar Kun

Scholar
They do the same thing. I went through all this crap last month. The patch Infinitron link is the easiest method.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
The important thing is that there is a way to properly enjoy the game :)
First i started up IWDII i was totally disappointed with performance compared to the IWDI - so i was glad, i could fix it so easily.

Exar Kun

Scholar
Apologies in advance for this OCD question.

I've noticed IWD has a much slower scroll speed (as in scrolling around the map) then BG, PS:T and even IWD2. Is this because of the way I have it set up or is it intended?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MVPs for IWD2 were a cracked moon the barbarian/fighter and Winterfox the paladin. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

2u4nf9c.png

kchv75.png

IMO Lesi, skyway, and Volourn have it all wrong, 2>1. Though I believe Lesi's reasons for disliking it don't have much to do with how it plays. Her and skyway's claim that challenge only comes from being swarmed with monsters is a bunch of nonsense that doesn't match with reality. I'd say of all Black Isle's RPGs this is the one with the strongest core gameplay. Smooth out the rough edges, give it agency on par or exceeding Fallout's and you have a nigh-perfect RPG like Eternity will be.

Apologies in advance for this OCD question.

I've noticed IWD has a much slower scroll speed (as in scrolling around the map) then BG, PS:T and even IWD2. Is this because of the way I have it set up or is it intended?
You can and should adjust the speed in the options.

Good to see another that agrees IWD2 > 1 :hero:

When can we expect the second sawyer review IWD2 fight-by-fight walkthrough IWD2 review?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good to see another that agrees IWD2 > 1 :hero:

When can we expect the second sawyer review IWD2 fight-by-fight walkthrough IWD2 review?
Soon I think. It's almost twice as long. There's also less Sawyer-chat and a bit more review. I'm sure my opinions are still going to upset certain people, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Regvard

Arcane
I've just gotten past docks at IWD 2 for the first time with a popamole paladin 2/sorceror x Aasimar. I'm too old to control 6 characters on Infinity Engine anymore.

baturinsky

Arcane
I usually stop playing IWD2 at around ice temple, where my solo drow cleric stops getting combat exp.

Shadenuat

Arcane
How do people roll with their bards? Do you multiclass them or?
I want to replay IWD2 on Insane. I want to try a party of thief/cleric (any advice on perks? it just seems like a fun concept), druid (whenever I tried to take another classes for druid it did't end well, I think it's one class in 3d which is alright as it is), sorcerer, bard and some sort of a tank (also something exotic and tricky, well, as far as a tank can be).

Erebus

Arcane
How do people roll with their bards? Do you multiclass them or?

I avoid bards whenever I can. Horrible creatures. :P

I want to try a party of thief/cleric (any advice on perks? it just seems like a fun concept)

It is, but I'm not sure it can be very efficient with 3rd Edition rules.
You should probably have him focus on trap removal. Scouting is also important, but other characters can take care of it.

, druid (whenever I tried to take another classes for druid it did't end well, I think it's one class in 3d which is alright as it is),

Druids are decent in the first half of the game, but they become pretty weak afterwards compared to clerics.

some sort of a tank (also something exotic and tricky, well, as far as a tank can be).

Okay, but tanking with a monk isn't going to be easy on Insane.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just never played with a bard far enough to even see what songs he'll get, sorta interested.
Monk, no, I love equipping my characters with tons of shining things. Some sort of fighter/cleric/ranger/paladin/ hybrid, just not cookie cutter fighter.

:lol: Premade parties are lovely, Sisters of Blood or something, with drow priestess of Selune leading a gnome and two halfling sisters into battle, smash the patriarchy! Every character there has a full biography written with such care.

Erebus

Arcane
Monk, no, I love equipping my characters with tons of shining things. Some sort of fighter/cleric/ranger/paladin/ hybrid, just not cookie cutter fighter

A barbarian/ranger, maybe ?

:lol: Premade parties are lovely, Sisters of Blood or something, with drow priestess of Selune leading a gnome and two halfling sisters into battle, smash the patriarchy! Every character there has a full biography written with such care.

I was surprised at how developed and non-generic some of the characters turned out to be (and they often have awesome names). I would never use a premade party, but a few of the ones available in IWD2 almost tempted me (especially this one).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Check dis kool IWD2 char out:

aQrWlFQ.jpg

Seu-Sa | Strongheart Halfling | Female Monk voice set
(3) Monk / (x) Sorceress
6 Str
20 Dex
18 Con
4 Int
10 Wis
18 Cha

Will dump stats into Str so she can carry more stuff (using a 4man party).

Using dual-wield ss/dagger with ambidex, two-weap fighting and weapon finesse (to utilize dex).
The voice-set goes perfect with the character portrait.
While a relatively bad character, it's probably the best in terms of uniqueness that I've made (while remaining somewhatuseful),

With this I have a (4)Fighter/(x)Paladin, (?)Cleric/(?)Rogue Drow, (4)Fighter/(x)Ranger.

I am considering re-starting though. Only done first bit of Targos anyway. I am considering a Rogue (just traps until ~100%) then turn it into Druid, and skip the Cleric.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
All I remember from IWD2 is how much I disliked the 3rd Edition rules.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom