Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Tigranes

Arcane
Again, how often would you ordinarily spend more than a round in enemy vision? And how many times would you do it, and lose stealth, before suspecting that something is wrong?

I suppose everyone in the frozen north rolls 20 spot...

laclongquan

Arcane
http://www.mediafire.com/file/o5a3jikfx57l5k3/000000002-Quick-Save.rar

in the temple. there's a bunch of enemies left in the Cook section and northwest section.

My deep gnome rogue4 fighter 4 has no problem sneak into the back of a corridor guardian. Eventually his stealth failed, possibily as you say beyond 1 round, possibly longer. I have to say I dont notice the legnth is anything strange. Possibily because we play this hard game too long and familiar with the limitation.

I dont believe it's a bug. More like an IWD2 feature.

Cael

Arcane
In IWD2, I stealth ran straight past all of the guys in the three caves in the Horde Fortress tunnels. Past the spiders, past the trolls, and straight to the drum, which I blew up, before gaining entry for the rest of the party and kiling everyone there for the XP bonus (gain entry without alerting any of the 3 camps). If stealth were to fail on line of sight, then I would never have been able to run past the first cave.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just try one thing if you (anyone) thinks stealth is working: hide and then move towards an enemy as if you are going to backstab them. Then wait for the next hide check as you are standing genitalia to buttock with them. If hide is a success, then I might try this game again and assume you arn't trolling me. But I wont keep spamming this thread like an autist. I was hoping Lilura would put her 2 cents in, but I suppose she's busy.

Cael

Arcane
Just try one thing if you (anyone) thinks stealth is working: hide and then move towards an enemy as if you are going to backstab them. Then wait for the next hide check as you are standing genitalia to buttock with them. If hide is a success, then I might try this game again and assume you arn't trolling me. But I wont keep spamming this thread like an autist. I was hoping Lilura would put her 2 cents in, but I suppose she's busy.
You can't get that bonus XP otherwise, you cretin. You HAVE to sneak through the CENTRE of the first camp in order to get to the twerp who gives you the password to the Orog area. That is the minimum to get to the next level without alerting all three camps.

Don't blame the game if you are too unskilled to do it, because I do it all the time when I was playing the game.

Stealth works.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's a combat centric game, so I am not surprised that stealth got nerfed compared to BG1/2 or IWD1. And these days I am discussing this game with the sorcerersnet crowd, which is way too hardcore than me, so it's also no surprise that no one notice this nerf.

Codexers in general just are not very tactical, I am afraid.

NOTE: IWD2 only, but a good build can last way beyond their level range and very useful. In my uploaded save above, my deep gnome rogue4/fighter4 is useful into the Chult just as scouting sniper, and trap disabler. What I never use him for is melee backstabber, meaning he never have to stay in his target's close range more than 1 round. If his stealth fail, he's already out of that visual range and can safely try again. As a master bowman, he earn around 1/3 of kill xp, top of the six, more than the halforc F/C or the Aasimar Pa/F4, or the divine/arcane caster full levelup.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
It's a combat centric game, so I am not surprised that stealth got nerfed compared to BG1/2 or IWD1. And these days I am discussing this game with the sorcerersnet crowd, which is way too hardcore than me, so it's also no surprise that no one notice this nerf.

Codexers in general just are not very tactical, I am afraid.
While I agree with the last sentence to some extent (mainly from my experience with FOT compared to others here and the FOT LP on this site), I run at least one stealth scout character in all my IWD2 parties. The stealth scout character allow me to accurately target massive alpha strikes as needed. As you may have noticed from my FOT write-up, I am a big fan of stealth and ambushes.

I have never noticed a problem with stealth in the game.

You may also be aware of a fairly famous LP of IWD2 that also did not have any problems with stealth and it was used quite a bit by the LPer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would very much like to believe that it is just broken in the starting map, or that using cheats breaks the script, or whatever - but I do remember stealth being broken throughout the game without using cheats. Unless I'm just trolling everyone and doing this for fun (which I'm not) is it really possibly that just XP'ing in a few characters to the start level and ranking them up is somehow different from playing the game?.
Care to weigh in O Lilura Dungeon Master of yore? It takes less than 20 min to install the game, get the console going and test my theory on the first enemies of the map. Unless the Codex is conspiring to make out this is just a problem unique to me...because that would actually be some serious trolling.

Why bug Lilura? Let's ask Josh Sawyer.

I can't get stealth to work in laclongquan's save. Aggroing a single Hasta-whatever the fuck still has hide fail very quickly after getting in LOS. Let's not pretend this is some kind of "git gud" situation, it's an RPG where you press the hide button and (at least if working as intended) you wait for the game to roll a number vs. your character skill to see if you stay hidden.

I do recall being able to stealth though the area Cael mentions, but keep in mind we're not talking about stealth failing immediately on LOS, it fails within a few seconds afterwards ("hide failed" in log).

Still can't rule out it being some weird problem with newer systems though. I swear roughly half of all the old windows 98-era games will have some kind of weird bug introduced somewhere if played on anything other than the original OS/directx version/graphics cards.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still can't rule out it being some weird problem with newer systems though. I swear roughly half of all the old windows 98-era games will have some kind of weird bug introduced if played on anything other than the original OS/directx version/graphics cards.

Heh maybe somebody should check if this isn't also happening in IWD1 and BG1-2!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm playing through BG1 with a Cleric/Thief atm, but haven't noticed anything fishy with stealth. Will definitely test it when I can.

Still can't rule out it being some weird problem with newer systems though. I swear roughly half of all the old windows 98-era games will have some kind of weird bug introduced if played on anything other than the original OS/directx version/graphics cards.

Heh maybe somebody should check if this isn't also happening in IWD1 and BG1-2!

Definitely doesn't. Hiding in sight of IWD1 goblins worked just fine when I tried it on up to date hardware and software a week ago after testing IWD2. I'm also 100% certain that if hide was broken in BG2 we'd have noticed it by now.

IWD2 however is a really butchered half-port of the Infinity Engine with way more compatibility issues on modern systems already. Even trying to run IWD2 a few years after release I recall having choppy performance and graphical issues on Windows XP/Directx 9-era systems that BG2/IWD1 ran flawlessly on. Just loading laclongquan's save I get the infamous Chult stutter bug that I only heard about people getting previously.

laclongquan

Arcane
There's probabbly something to do with your system. Either win10, or computer has too much cpu/ram whatever. Because I run my gnome to "genitalia to buttcheek" with a yuanti archer and it is several seconds before my hide failed. The length of time is noticeable.

A round is 6 seconds. If you fail in that time then hide is broken. If hide was working you should be able to stay hidden indefinitely.

Cael

Arcane
I can't get stealth to work in laclongquan's save. Aggroing a single Hasta-whatever the fuck still has hide fail very quickly after getting in LOS. Let's not pretend this is some kind of "git gud" situation, it's an RPG where you press the hide button and (at least if working as intended) you wait for the game to roll a number vs. your character skill to see if you stay hidden.

I do recall being able to stealth though the area Cael mentions, but keep in mind we're not talking about stealth failing immediately on LOS, it fails within a few seconds afterwards ("hide failed" in log).

Still can't rule out it being some weird problem with newer systems though. I swear roughly half of all the old windows 98-era games will have some kind of weird bug introduced somewhere if played on anything other than the original OS/directx version/graphics cards.
In the LP, the player hid in front of the Yuan-Ti teacher for several floating dialogues. You can see it in his screenshots.

I have stood in front of the fella with the password for several minutes while I was busy doing something else before coming back to the game. Stealth didn't break. I am on a Win7 system.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I would very much like to believe that it is just broken in the starting map, or that using cheats breaks the script, or whatever - but I do remember stealth being broken throughout the game without using cheats. Unless I'm just trolling everyone and doing this for fun (which I'm not) is it really possibly that just XP'ing in a few characters to the start level and ranking them up is somehow different from playing the game?.
Care to weigh in O Lilura Dungeon Master of yore? It takes less than 20 min to install the game, get the console going and test my theory on the first enemies of the map. Unless the Codex is conspiring to make out this is just a problem unique to me...because that would actually be some serious trolling.

Why bug Lilura? Let's ask Josh Sawyer.

Maybe the Codex could do a retrospective? Or a IWD2 vs Fallout:New Vegas vs POE interview on how Josh Sawyers games have evolved over the years? Because we all know they've evolved for the better. Then sneak in my foggy memory of him saying he wanted to give stealth more urgency in IWD2?. That is; he didn't want people setting their parties up to backstab key enemies before a battle, as it made the game too easy. Ok, I might be reaching on the last part, but that was the idea.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

In the LP, the player hid in front of the Yuan-Ti teacher for several floating dialogues. You can see it in his screenshots.

I have stood in front of the fella with the password for several minutes while I was busy doing something else before coming back to the game. Stealth didn't break. I am on a Win7 system.

Only asking because you've got the dumbfuck! tag - but were those two characters hostile?.

Cael

Arcane
Only asking because you've got the dumbfuck! tag - but were those two characters hostile?.
Or you can just admit you are a fucktard who refuse to admit you were wrong rather than try to hide behind something that infinishit does for his own personal vendettas. I mean, sure, Dark Underlord is really a dumbfuck too, eh?

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Or you can just admit you are a fucktard who refuse to admit you were wrong rather than try to hide behind something that infinishit does for his own personal vendettas. I mean, sure, Dark Underlord is really a dumbfuck too, eh?

I swear every post I've ever seen you make is you whining like a faggot about something lol.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
@AverageManatee I'd like to thank you for taking the time to understand and appreciate a question that has been bugging me for 16 years. And not assuming that after ... let's see; 8 iterations of IE games - BG1>TOTSC>PST>IWD1>TOTLM>HOW>BG2>TOB - that I am too retarded to press the stealth button correctly on the 9th, or that I am a whiny faggot for asking the question. For taking the time to install the game, replicate my problem, and then load up laclongquan's (legit) savegame , you have actually answered my initial question.
You are a monocled Codexer and a scholar. Thank you.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
IWD2 however is a really butchered half-port of the Infinity Engine with way more compatibility issues on modern systems already. Even trying to run IWD2 a few years after release I recall having choppy performance and graphical issues on Windows XP/Directx 9-era systems that BG2/IWD1 ran flawlessly on. Just loading laclongquan's save I get the infamous Chult stutter bug that I only heard about people getting previously.

And yet, in my recent solo Sorc retrospective, I had no performance issues whatsoever. Because, I'm not a 'tard.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

And yet, in my recent solo Sorc retrospective, I had no performance issues whatsoever. Because, I'm not a 'tard.

Lilura; no fucks given as she flips the switch to make the train derail completely and crash, while flinging shit in slow motion bullet time at the passengers asking for its destination.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The Infinity Engine games have some issues running on modern hardware unless you are using patches, compatibility modes, and DXWND (if you play in windowed mode at the original resolution like I do). The only Infinity Engine game I haven't been able to crack is Baldur's Gate II, as there are some graphical glitches present should I enable 3D Acceleration for nicer effects.

But other than BG2, all others (PS:T, BG, IWD, IWD2) work perfectly fine on my Windows 8.1 machine.

Tigranes

Arcane
Every IE game runs fine for me and has for decades, you just have to spend 10 minutes doing simple fixes every now and then.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Guise, I just fired up again Icewind Dale Compete Edition on Windows 7, but it crashes immediately. It didn't do anything like this before (on the same Windows 7 installation), and I have no problem with other IE games.

I've already tried the direct draw fix, experimented with compatibility settings, turned graphics acceleration on and off, assigned either Intel integrated graphics or Nvidia card, and all the combinations of these.

I'm out of options, any ideas?
After trying literally everything, I manage to make Icewind Dale Complete edition work. Thing is, it only works if I disable my Nvidia card from the Device Manager: simply forcing the Integrated Graphics setting in the Nvidia Control Panel still makes it crash when starting. All drivers are up to date, and as I said I have no problem with any IE game.

Has anybody ever experienced anything like this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom