Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Heresiarch, Jan 18, 2011.

1. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    I will probably have to savescum critical hits cause I can’t do shit beyond that. Wish me luck.

^ Top  
  2. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Good luck, bud. Seems like a crazy way to do it. How about just turn down the difficulty until that part is over?

^ Top  
  3. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    I’ll probably do that. After all it is a mod addition so I don’t feel as bad.

^ Top  
  4. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Better than hitting a wall and giving up on the game :D

^ Top  
  5. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I played IWD with Auril's Bane, but I don't recall Death Knights (or am I thinking of Doom Knights?) so early in the game. Do you have a screenshot of them?
    And have you tried backstabbing?

^ Top  
  6. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    I can’t upload a picture cause my internet is fucking crazy shit right now, but yes their called “Death Knights” and I read an old thread on Sorcerers, someone asking the same question, from what they said it’s RNG, just hope you can kill or turn difficulty down. I don’t have the tools or gears to deal with them at level 4/5.

^ Top  
  7. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    If the Death Knights were set to be too higher level than your party, Turn Undead simply dont work. I found that out in IWD2 Heart of Fury mode, and I imagine it's the same if that is a mod you install on IWD1.

I dont play your game so I dont know but

1. Send in waves of summons to wear the DKs down. When 2-3 down you summon the new batch to help the old batch.
    2. Or you can invisible 2-3 characters and block the death knight from going near the rest. Then wear it down with ranged attack. They dont resist bullet/arrows/bolts, right?

^ Top  
  8. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    I shot them with 40 arrows 2 hit for 1 damage and I can’t buy +1 arrows. I’m about to cheese with difficulty settings because waves of summons doesn’t do shit to them. The problem is not singling him out, that’s easy it’s just 1 of these damn knights can kill my waves of summons and all my party memebers.

^ Top  
  9. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    He is level 4. There is no way he will be able to handle something that even a full party of level 8s with all the crazy loot BG throws at you would have trouble handling.

Remember in Gold Box, a Death Knight would wipe the floor with a full party of 6 level 14s.

^ Top  
  10. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    In which case you might risking it with this

1. Get user of crushing weapons like hammer, throwing hammer, warhammer, staff... Skelly class are weak against crushing and strong against piercing/slashing.
    2. Send that one in to hit once, twice. Withdraw it immediately once it's hit to heal.
    3. Repeat.

It is a risky business because DK use 2hand sword and thus has longer range, higher damage.

What's your level, anyway?

^ Top  
  11. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    Even on the easiest settings his AC his to high. I can’t hit him no matter what.
    Is there and external way to kill him because I think I’ll be stuck on this part forever.

^ Top  
  12. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    If you enable cheats, Ctrl-Q (or was it Ctrl-Y?) was the kill button in BG, I think. Might be worth a shot in IWD.

^ Top  
  13. pomenitul Learned

pomenitul
    When you're playing a classic game for the first time, you should always go vanilla, since you're bound to come back to it later anyway.

^ Top  
  14. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    Aurill’s bane adds some new stuff but I didn’t know it would do something like this.

^ Top  
  15. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    Holy hell, I used the instant heal key to kill
    One of them and they give 14000 XP. But I won’t take their XP, the kill command doesn’t give it to you thankfully.

^ Top  
  16. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    Level 4.

^ Top  
  17. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    A 14k XP mob at level 4 is pretty retarded dungeon design. Two of them plus more points to the maker being a sadist with psychopathic tendencies.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    So, what level are these guys meant for?

^ Top  
  19. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Let me put it this way: Driz'zt was 12k XP and he is a level 16 Drow Ranger (so about level 18 because of drow bonuses and abilities) with very high end equipment including the equivalent of a scimitar +6.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Did you install a mod meant for original IWD on the EE or something? I've used Auril's Bane before and I'm fairly certain that shouldn't happen. Maybe something mixed up and you got a spawn meant for HoW mode in regular difficulty?

^ Top  
  21. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    Someone said that as well. I’m not on EE. I’m not sure the only other mod I have is Item upgrade. Plus their was a thread on Sorcerers back in 2004 asking about death knights so it’s definitely not an EE thing.

^ Top  
  22. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Can you leave that Death Knights part and return later on?

Because the only thing a level 4 party can use to hurt that sucker is a heal scroll, which either you (can) buy or loot.

^ Top  
  23. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    No, I had to cheat kill him. I could not go anyway else.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Another method is invisibility. have your entire party waltz through those hostiles.

The easiest way is your wizard memorize and cast on all of you. The other way is potions, assuming you have any.

^ Top  
  25. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    Jesus fucking Christ, you can really tell Sawyer made this thing...

"FEAR MY LEGION OF THE UNDEAD!" *resource-draining annoying encounter follows*

*1 minute later*

"YOU KILLED MY LEGION, BUT HOW ABOUT THIS NEW LEGION!" *literally the same encounter follows*

*1 minute later*

"AH, I SEE YOU ARE STRONG, BUT WHAT ABOUT THIS COMPLETELY NEW LEGION!" *LITERALLY THE SAME FUCKING ENCOUNTER FOR THE THIRD TIME*

I sorta quit at that spot, if I have to do this shit one more time, I'm deleting the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)