Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Heresiarch, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    I always have fun killing those hordes of cold wights. There are only three or four of them, so you're almost through.

^ Top  
  2. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Smaug, take good advice when it's given. You're experiencing first hand what a lot of IE vets take for granted - a ton of the item/spell/encounter mods for the IEs are shit. They massively unbalance the game in various ways, providing challenge through dumb means (like you're experiencing right now) or trivialize significant challenges with the introduction of xp/spells/items.

We are quite lucky to have people like DavidW, Avenger, and others putting together high quality content - but don't confuse them with the rest. 99% of the mods are shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Btw guys, my Icewind Dale commentary has a new index page. Enjoy.

• nice x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    I offed the necromancer controlling them before wiping the last one, there's 4 actually. Sadly, when you aggro the 4th one, it still gives you the default dialogue which implies the necromancer is still alive and speaking through the large skeleton. :balance:

^ Top  
  5. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    smaug I installed Auril's Bane to check out the stats of these Death Knights and I can't even find their creature in near infinity. I can see a "Lord Maluradek" (Level 9 AC -4 THAC0 8) but that's a Trials of the Luremaster-only guy who certainly shouldn't be appearing in base IWD. I also didn't see any death knights in Kressalack's tomb, and I teleported to all of the areas with skeletal mages while on insane difficulty. There are plenty of Spectral Knights (level 5 AC 7 THAC0 13) but no Death Knights.

Where exactly did you see the death knights? What mods did you install? Post weidu.log.

^ Top  
  6. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    // Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~DDRAWFIX/DDRAWFIX.TP2~ #0 #2 // DDrawFix -> Use WineD3D's DDraw Library: v1.0
    ~AB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Auril's Bane - Heart of Winter Version
    ~AB.TP2~ #0 #1 // Icewind Dale No-End Patch
    ~AB.TP2~ #0 #2 // Heart of Winter No-End Patch
    ~AB.TP2~ #0 #3 // Grog's IWD Fixes
    ~AB.TP2~ #0 #4 // Level 40 Rules Pack

The rest of these mods didn't say anything about new encounters. Unless I missed it.

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    Jesus Christ, things are ramping up pretty damn fast... Dragon's Eye level 4, what the hell was THAT all about...

And 20 feet into level 5, my dwarf who is at AC 0 is getting hit 100% of the time by the archer enemies.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. smaug Arcane Patron

smaug
    I can’t wait to get there.
    :bounce:

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    Shit is getting INTENSE! I was trying to cheese a room with a summoner but while figuring out how to do it he called in more trolls and I was fresh out of fire arrows so I had to kite them back to a bunch of NPCs that had fire swords! :D

Dragon's Eye level 4 was probably the most intense and satisfying combat encounter I've had in an IE game so far.

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Archery in IE games are weird to the point of broken. They hit far more often than melee attacks for some bizarre reason, and in BG, you can practically stunlock a mob with a party of machinegunners. It is by no coincidence that Kivan and Coran are considered borderline broken and both are archers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    It goes both ways too those fucking Kobolts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Yeah. I usually hide and scout and use counterbattery fire to get them first. My party always have at least 1 missile weapon handy.

^ Top  
  13. Harry Easter Learned

Harry Easter
    Agree, Kivan is a killing machine, the highest killcount after CHARNAME. Just let him shoot at Sarevok while you run and it will be done in seconds.

Yeah, the Kobolts are horrible. Funny thouggh, everyone I know has this one story to tell: if they finished the game, the always hated the Kobolts the most. If they didn't, they did it because of the Kobolts. Those little fellas are the true test of character.

^ Top  
  14. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    Holy shit, I have no idea if it's a random drop but in the last level of the Dragon's Eye, I got a longbow that does a fixed 3 attacks per round. Even though it's just a +1 bonus to thac0 and damage, the elf archer ranger was already wrecking ass, now with this thing I can pretty much 100% stunlock any caster, I think my thac0 is down to 1 maybe?

^ Top  
  15. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Wait until you find the Hell Bolter and the Doom Bolter in IWD2. You'd need a new pair of pants.

^ Top  
  16. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    I had moderate success getting IWD2 to run in a way that doesn't hurt my eyes but I am not too keen on it, in the eternal absence of an enhanced edition.

^ Top  
  17. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    It's fine the only thing you'll miss is the zoom thingy.

^ Top  
  18. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Ah. You are one of those.

^ Top  
  19. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    For better or worse, I am. I only played Baldur 1 when the EE came out, I missed it back in its day and could not bring myself to mod that thing once I saw an official, out of the box widescreen 1080p version was being worked on.

Let's not turn this into another one of THOSE, though. I use the EEs literally because I like the ease of use and the modern visual options. That's it. I don't care what the original interface looked like or all that other assorted
    minutiae, I just like playing games.

• retadred retadred x 5
    • popamole popamole x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    The fact that you refuse to play IWD2 because of lack of EE proves otherwise.

The fact that you didn't even say that all EE did was to import BG2 graphics to earlier games, something that a mod already did 20 years ago, is also telling.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. the_shadow Arcane

the_shadow
    I've played through IWD half a dozen times, and never encountered a Death Knight there. Like you said, it must be Auril's Bane or the random monster generator went wacky.

The first few levels are always the hardest in IE games, because you have few tactical options due to lacking any decent spells/equipment. The game gets way easier after Yxunomei, and even Yxunomei is pretty easy compared to a lot of mob battles beforehand (cold wights) because you've finally got some decent items.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Maggot Prophet Patron

Maggot
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Is the 3E thief sneak attack setting worth using for IWD1?

^ Top  
  23. Sinatar Arbiter

Sinatar
    It removes the stealth requirement from backstabs, but that applies to the enemies as well.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    IIRC the 3E sneak attack can only happen once per round, so it's largely useless, since it does much less damage than a backstab.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Proof that IWD2 stealth works:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can hang around there all day within sight of 3 different enemies and no problems. In fact, I used stealth to get around them to open the gate. Saved the Invis potion.

People who claim it doesn't work is full of shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)