Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The (in)compatibility of gaming experience

Maxie

Let's say that there are two games developed by two different companies, called Game A and Game B. You're familiar with Game A, having played it to an extent - you feel quite comfortable playing it. Then you check out Game B.

There are, in my opinion, two possible outcomes;

1. you find yourself quite at home and proceed to play Game B with gusto, achieving much and quickly,
2. you find yourself somewhat lost and, not fully aware of your own possible agency and your goals, you end up losing.

It is quite natural that games sharing a genre overlap gameplay-wise, hence picking up Game B could result in Outcome 1. You don't really expect much more from a war shooter than to shoot people at war, this comes naturally if you've played any game akin to this one in the past.

In my opinion, genre mixing led to this particular point in history where playing any game at all will end up in you being a natural in another game. There is no longer this sense of utter strangeness you encounter while exploring outlandish gameplays, there is no longer any territory for getting good at a game. The ideal scenario for me is being quite clueless for the first few hours, only to figure out the inner workings of a game and proceed, having fun in the process of learning the rules and applying my strategies according to the ruleset. Frankly, the last time it happened to me was while playing King of Dragon Pass, when I legitimately had to teach myself how to play the game.

Which of the two possible outcomes appears favourable to you? Are you perhaps of another mind on the matter?

I don't think I am a huge fan of getting lost early in games. The first hours of playing a new title are always kind of awkward for me - relying mostly on experimentation, trying this or that without a real sense of direction. But after the initiation phase, you finally get a feel of the game; New things are still thrown at you, but now you have ways to fight back besides trial & error - reliable data on how the systems work; The best part of a game for me is usually the middle, having a solid idea about what I am doing but still quite far from mastery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom