Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Iron Oath - turn-based strategy RPG with awesome pixel art

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Zzz, show me the money.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The art is really, really familiar with Duelyst's. I wonder if they have the same devs

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Darkest Dungeon done right in world simulation on CK2 level and we'll get Battle Pixel Brothers we've never got!

At least that's my hope for the game and from dev diaries it seems that's devs vision too. Also am I the only one who gets this high-magic Conan vibe from artstyle & setting? Whenever they realese new devdiary or gif I wanna SMASH! something out of excitment

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't add the video from my phone.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...th-dark-turn-based-tactical-rpg/posts/2640474

September Update
cb7a98460c5a9d60787ecb1ffad5a089_original.png

Posted by Curious Panda
CreatorOctober 2, 2019

Hey everyone! Another thirty days have passed by and we're back to show you some of our work from the month of September. We don't have too much to share this time around, as the majority of our workload from this past month is a bit of a secret and not something we're ready to reveal quite yet ;) You'll have to wait a few more months for that but it's something we think is pretty cool and hopefully you will all feel the same!

Earlier in the month, Chris spent his time implementing new enemies and creating sound effects to go with it. You can see a small sample of this below:

6ead0698d74fe3347fd3b8b1936dfeca_h264_base.jpg

...and a few gifs from other abilities!

d2ba4901aa3053473a431f44f5c8c6d2_original.gif

5cbeecfc3dfc2e6da9416f9ecfc74a93_original.gif

d879bbf77cc5d127fa0a5e8f67d3bcf9_original.gif

3b433d7ee1e436e0b1a3324c95945c5e_original.gif

bee3f9a207fd3b22926147ec510a5894_original.gif

Next month's update will have a bit more to showcase. The dialogue windows (including player responses/choices) have received some love this past month but there's still a little bit more cleaning up we'd like to do before we show it off. We've also begun work on prototyping and implementing some new environments, so we'll be looking to share some of that next month as well (might even make it a subject for a dev video!). It's our intent to make combat environments more varied and less straight forward (with more obstacles and hazards that are unique to each environment, requiring careful attention!), so we hope you'll like the direction we're taking with that.

See you next month, and as always, if you haven't already done so, please add us to your wishlist us on Steam as it helps to boost visibility and awareness! Thanks as always for taking the time to read :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...th-dark-turn-based-tactical-rpg/posts/2640504

October Update

Time for a belated October update! The last month has been a hectic time for us as we were crunching to meet certain deadlines, and thus didn't have the time to put together a proper update. Not going to share just yet what the crunch-time was for...we'll see in a month or two how things pan out and hopefully we'll have some good news to share :)

In this month's update we wanted to talk about our new direction for combat environments, and illustrating the point with a brand new tileset that we've created and implemented this past month. In the environments you've seen so far, a typical combat area has rarely been much larger than 5-6 rows high, as shown below:

3acb2a5234efbdaca72a15dbf4b2cb74_original.png

While the narrower corridors allowed for more streamlined exploration, they made combat encounters a bit too cramped, and didn't allow us much room to place terrain obstacles and hazards without suffocating the playfield. This resulted in combat areas not having much variety to them, which is not ideal!

With this new tileset we've greatly increased the size of the playfield(up to 10 rows high at points). The base tiles are completely empty aside from the ground and back wall, as seen below:

2d8ef901cbcad4f53297806e695a9613_original.png

With this much space, we now have a lot of room to work with for creating many different and tactically interesting layouts, populated by the terrain and hazards that are attached to this tileset. This includes a variety of rock formations, holes, falling rock obstacles, dangerous spikes and more. Here's some of the terrain objects for this tile, still need to complete a few more:

afc6a4c939669e3a44484e167c7824c8_original.png

Each "layout" will be hand made, as we think it's preferable to randomly generating them. We're not quite sure how far we'll go with the quantity, but we'll be shooting for at least 100 unique terrain layouts per environment. Here's a look at one section's layout in-game:

7e23a8d5bbb9cdf3b1206d4aaf5bf250_original.png

For the existing tilesets, we'll be going back and revising them a bit as well in order to add more space. Though in some cases, certain environments will be less open than others when it makes sense.

Another thing we wanted to show off was the in-dungeon dialogue system which has received some work lately with additions such as portraits, text fade-in and auto scrolling. Of course you can skip through this all by left-clicking as well if you're a quick reader or just want to breeze through it! We're still not 100% done with it, but we're pretty happy with the current state for now. The example below is from the opening mission/introduction to the game :)

And a small bonus gif of something that occurred while I was recording some footage. I didn't think this action through very well :( lol

f9b86022113a5b782eb8caf91f2298ef_original.gif

Sometimes a plan can backfire >.<

Lastly we wanted to give a shout-out to our friends at Shadow Knights Studio who just entered early access on Steam with their game: The Lighthouse. If you're a fan of atmospheric horror/thriller games we highly suggest checking it out!

The rest of November will once again be a fairly busy time for us, so the next monthly update will be fairly light, likely just some timelapses, character art and some new in-game enemy gifs. But it should be on time at least :) Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom