Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Iron Oath - turn-based strategy RPG with awesome pixel art

sennin

Curious Panda Games
Developer
Remembered to back this yesterday...looks like it could be fun. Let's hope it falls over the line with the funding.
Thanks man! We got a few more tricks up our sleeve that will hopefully ensure the campaigns success :)

Good stuff. I love the age brackets that mean that thieves and fighters retire young, but wizards only get stronger with age.
I'm glad you like it :) We wanted to have something that was a little bit unique(and played into the passage of time aspect) without straying too far from a traditional rpg leveling system.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...th-dark-turn-based-tactical-rpg/posts/1972448

Character Progression: Part 2

We’re past $36,000 and are steadily approaching our goal, your support continues to be amazing, thank you! Today for part 2 of Character Progression we’ll be talking about Traits, Injuries and Illnesses. While classifying Injuries and Illnesses as “progression” may be a bit of a stretch, they’re still kind of related and it felt necessary to include them here :)

Character Traits can be long lasting(some being permanent) or temporary. For a fresh recruit, most of the traits they begin with will be determined by their backstory, and these traits can be both positive and negative. Let’s say for example that a character’s backstory mentions that their house burnt down when they were young. This could give them the Pyrophobia trait which makes them vulnerable to fire damage, in addition to having a small chance to retreat from their position during combat whenever an enemy uses a fire-based attack. A trait like this is long-lasting but not necessarily permanent, and there would be a chance that they could eventually overcome their fear and lose the trait. A rare trait like Genius(granting a bonus to intelligence) would be an example of something that is permanent. Additionally, it is not one that could be taught or acquired later in life. A character would have to be generated with that trait in order to have it.

Backstory traits aside, most traits will require some sort of parameter to be met in order for them to be applied to a character. This parameter could be something that is capable of being met within a single mission or it may be require the character to continually perform certain actions over a longer period of time. The easiest example of the former would be the death of a character during combat. Depending on Affinity and Spirit levels, most characters will have some type of reaction to this event and it may result in the application of a negative trait for your party members. A temporary trait like Fearful could be applied in this circumstance, but given that it’s temporary, it may not last much longer than a single mission(especially if you are able to power through and “avenge” the fallen character).

02accc22f24d9984babb3b6259a4960a_original.gif

While you’re not able to directly control what traits your character acquires, we have a few ways to give you some influence over the process. The first is the Mentor system which we mentioned briefly in yesterday’s update. Once a character reaches the rank of Master, they can become a mentor to a lower ranked character of the same class. By doing this, some of their more positive traits will get passed on to the apprentice, allowing you to sort of groom your characters if you wanted to.

The other method that we’d like to implement is part of the Guild Council stretch goal, specifically involving the Master at Arms and Archmage. Essentially, you would be able to assign each of your characters to study a specific subject, and each subject would have a number of traits associated with it. Over time, and depending on the skill of your Master at Arms and Archmage, your characters would adopt a few traits from their chosen category. So if you had a character with strong leadership traits that was close to retiring, it would be a good idea to task a younger character with the study of “Battlefield Command” so they could eventually serve as a replacement. Overall, character traits help ensure that each character in your roster is unique, while also adding an extra layer of strategic considerations, both in and out of combat.

Injuries and Illnesses function in a similar fashion to traits, in that they can both be temporary or permanent, and require certain parameters to be met in order to fire. They mostly occur during missions, and can come from both combat and non-combat scenarios. During combat, if one of your characters falls to 0HP and gets knocked down(but still survives), they may suffer some internal bleeding as a result. Outside of combat, your party could step on an unstable piece of the ground, fall through to a lower floor and suffer a couple injuries of in the process. Or perhaps you instruct one of your characters to inspect a rotting corpse, and they instead become afflicted with a terrible sickness.

929d096f7db21fb41130a536ddff7930_original.png

Whatever the case, most ailments will start out as nuisances that your characters will be able to shrug off and continue on with the mission. Afterwards however, it’s important to seek the counsel of your physician and decide the best course of action. Both injuries and illnesses can progress into more serious complications if not treated properly, and in dire situations you may need to send your characters to an infirmary at a nearby city. Of course, you will need to pay fees in order to stash a character at an infirmary, so it sometimes may be worth the risk of letting an injury or illness resolve itself. Characters that are recovering in an infirmary will not be available to you for missions, and only once they recover will they begin to make their way back to your guild’s caravan.

4082fff788fdc62c1650b6a504b41ef5_original.png

Hopefully you found the two parts on character progression interesting(or enjoyable even lol), we would be happy to discuss things further if any of you have any questions! We have something a bit different planned for tomorrow’s update that we hope you’ll like, and following that we’ll be telling you about character customization and gear. Thanks again to all of our awesome backers, your support means everything! :)

--

Be sure to check out Lona here on Kickstarter. They’re nearly at 50% and have some beautiful art to boot.

Lona: Realm of Colors is a heavily stylized adventure art game about Lona, a girl trapped inside her drawings inspired by life hardships.

The core of the game is designed to deliver a beautiful and relaxing art combined with a stunning music that is made exclusively for each scene.

To find out more, visit their Kickstarter page: here.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Like the game's prospect so far a lot and its mixture of Battle Brothers and Darkest Dungeon, if comparison really needs to be made. Hope you'll reach the funding goal asap so that you'll be able to start reaching those stretch goals as early as possible. Both ones so far shown are interesting, can't wait to see new ones. Oh, also devs' game preferences (among others CKII) give me reason to believe that game might take inspirations from right sources and gameplay in overworld mode will be interesting one too (hope that CKII mention means politics of it will be fleshed out).

Questions for devs: Can our guild choose its flag and name? I hope selection of flags will be large one or that we will be able to make custom ones just like in CKII with custom banners. Will our guild be able to build its guildhalls in different regions and cities and have somewhere its main headquarters? With different rooms, which have different purposes, being able to upgrade them and build new and I guess we should first be on good terms with local lord in order to be allowed to build one and continue to be buddy with him otherwise he might seize them and then we would have reason more to aid side who's attacking him so that we can reclaim it etc. Presence of guildhalls in certain regions would make logistics and costs of operations there much more bearable too. Or even building or being granted a castle somewhere in countryside as base of operations. Would sieges of cities (defending or attacking with defensive/offensive siege equipment) be a thing in the game? Could any of these things be a stretch goal if they aren't already planned as such?

Wish you luck either way!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Love the art in this game. Check out the creepy skeletons!

Update #12

Aug 26 2017

The Animation Process

Hey everyone! As mentioned yesterday I have something a bit different planned out for today's update: a look into how I animate all the characters in the game. Hopefully some of you find it interesting or helpful :)

2166f8746b743f0315526fd15f704594_original.gif

Rough Sketch: The first part of my workflow is to just do a really rough sketch of the animation that I have in mind. I begin first by doing 3 key-frames for the starting position, anticipation and follow-through. Once I have the key-frames sketched out I then duplicate the layers, make small changes to each and I end up with a very rough version containing some in-between frames. If I'm happy with how everything looks I then move on to refining the shape of the key-frames.

44661fd2924ee2ddb1a278de5e9e0c6d_original.gif

Key-frame Shape: This is probably the most important step. If your silhouette doesn't read well the whole animation is going to suffer. I like to take my time here and really make sure I get the shape of each body part correct. If I'm struggling with something, I find it helpful to stand in front of a mirror and recreate the pose that I'm going for. In this instance I actually ended up recording a video of myself that I referenced on occasion.

f0842c005e2a65722ea6df2a6f2dad60_original.gif

Detail: Once the shape is refined, the detail step is a lot easier to handle, though it still takes the longest amount of time! I begin by first separating out each body part onto its own layer, and doing the same for each piece of gear that I add. The gear is done in the same fashion as the Shape step, I start with a color that stands out for each piece and make sure the silhouette reads well before I actually begin to detail onto it. Using references here is again helpful for making sure the detail on the muscles is more or less correct.

797bd7feed4b4f6a5512417abd6f1a78_original.gif

In-Between Frames: Adding in-between frames really smooths out the animation and adds a lot of life to it. It's something that I was always afraid of doing because it seemed like it would take a lot of time, but in actuality it only took about 2 hours for the above example(the entire process took 12h). For this step, I do my best to recreate the in-betweens that I roughed out in the sketch step. You don't need to have a ton of frames here to trick your mind into seeing a fluid motion. The mantra to follow is "ease in, ease out" which basically means you want to add frames that are easing in, and then easing out of your 3 keyframes. Some of the in-betweens might end up looking a little silly on their own, but as long as it looks good in motion it doesn't really matter!

Here's another workflow for a necromancer cast animation which took about 16 hours:

b18740c4335be4a6b050e4583732ed06_original.gif

I also created two timelapse videos which you can view on youtube. They're a little bit long, but hopefully it will be instructive for those of you who are interested in animation & pixel art! :)

Bounty Hunter Youtube Timelapse

Necromancer Youtube Timelapse

I've created a gallery post on imgur detailing the same steps. If you have an account we would appreciate it if you could take a second to upvote it. It would really help our campaign out! http://imgur.com/gallery/ZrJz2

Thanks again everyone, we hope you have a terrific weekend!

sennin

Curious Panda Games
Developer
Like the game's prospect so far a lot and its mixture of Battle Brothers and Darkest Dungeon, if comparison really needs to be made. Hope you'll reach the funding goal asap so that you'll be able to start reaching those stretch goals as early as possible. Both ones so far shown are interesting, can't wait to see new ones. Oh, also devs' game preferences (among others CKII) give me reason to believe that game might take inspirations from right sources and gameplay in overworld mode will be interesting one too (hope that CKII mention means politics of it will be fleshed out).

Questions for devs: Can our guild choose its flag and name? I hope selection of flags will be large one or that we will be able to make custom ones just like in CKII with custom banners. Will our guild be able to build its guildhalls in different regions and cities and have somewhere its main headquarters? With different rooms, which have different purposes, being able to upgrade them and build new and I guess we should first be on good terms with local lord in order to be allowed to build one and continue to be buddy with him otherwise he might seize them and then we would have reason more to aid side who's attacking him so that we can reclaim it etc. Presence of guildhalls in certain regions would make logistics and costs of operations there much more bearable too. Or even building or being granted a castle somewhere in countryside as base of operations. Would sieges of cities (defending or attacking with defensive/offensive siege equipment) be a thing in the game? Could any of these things be a stretch goal if they aren't already planned as such?

Wish you luck either way!

Thank you, we're closing in on 90% so it's lookin good! Our overworld politics is mostly influenced by CK2 and Game of Thrones, hopefully you like what we do with it!

Yes you'll be able to name your guild and choose its flag. The plan is to do CK2 style banners as you mentioned, we'll have to see how that works out. If not we'll definitely be shooting for a large selection of preset ones. We do have plans for being able to build a guild keep/city that is tied to politics, but for now it remains a stretch goal as it's a pretty big undertaking. Participation in city sieges is another thing we'd like to do but it adds a pretty big scope to the game. For now your participation will be limited to small scale tasks & skirmishes that aid your ally during big sieges and wars.

sennin

Curious Panda Games
Developer
New update today talking about character customization & gear. Wanted to post it yesterday but Kickstarter was having some troubles with uploading images. Thankfully it's resolved now.

Update 13: Character Customization & Gear
Eight days to go and we’re nearly 95% funded! Our community continues to be amazing and we are so grateful for all of your support! As soon as we hit our goal, we’ll be unveiling the 3rd stretch goal, but for now...let’s talk about character customization. We’ve already discussed a few aspects of customization such as ability skill trees and the mentor system, and now we’re going to dig into a few more :)

Probably the most basic way to customize your characters is by renaming them, which you can do at any time in the overworld. There are a few rare exceptions to this however: some recruits may be part of a noble House, or their backstory may require their name to be locked for continuity sake.

Gear is the most impactful form of customization. It can be purchased from city vendors or traveling merchants; looted from chests, corpses or enemies; or given as a reward for completing a mission. Each character possesses 6 equipment slots for you to fill out. Some gear will be unique to a specific class, while others may be shared across multiple.

8714cb7a0d7926d5e935062914977304_original.png

• Armor: We’ve consolidated all the typical armor pieces into a single armor slot. All armor types are sorted into 3 categories: Light, Medium and Heavy with each class in the game being restricted to a single category. (eg. Pyrolancer can only use Medium)
  • Main Hand: Categories for the main hand slot include swords, axes, polearms, lances, staffs, wands, daggers, bows. There are also some unique main hand items such as the Lute for the Troubadour class. Like armor, classes are restricted to certain categories.
  • Off Hand/Accessory: The off hand(or accessory) slot can be a weapon, shield or another unique item type depending on the class you are outfitting. The Paladin uses a shield, while the Nightstalker uses a quiver.
  • Amulet: Amulets are free of class restrictions, and you may equip them onto any character you wish.
  • Ring: Like amulets, rings also do not have any class restrictions.
  • Artifact: Artifacts can offer unique enhancements for classes, and as such are restricted to a specific class.
Our focus is going to be on less, but more more meaningful drops. We want it to feel good when you find a piece of gear, as opposed to stockpiling a bunch of junk to sell off to a merchant. The loot itself will be very much Diablo-like, with a few different tiers of rarity, and multiple special properties that make every drop unique. The highest rarity is Legendary, and these items will be hand-crafted, possessing unique properties that no other piece of gear can have.

f3ab3202c910d8f1cf1a94c4744e9cf3_original.png

The last thing to mention is that for now, we are not planning on having any level restrictions on gear. Any new recruit could use that shiny Legendary item you just found(provided there are no class restrictions), and we feel this will help minimize the negative effect of character deaths. And as an added bonus, you won’t need to save sets of inferior gear for your recruits.

There are a few other customization options for characters that we would like to add, but we cannot yet guarantee they will make it into the game at launch without hitting the necessary stretch goals:

• Skins: As mentioned in a previous update, we’re so close to unlocking 8 Social Goals which will give every class one alternate skin. However, we would really like to add a lot more!
  • Races: Our world contains multiple races of people, but for now each class will be locked to a specific race. If we get to add multiple races for every class, we will also be introducing unique racial traits on top of that.
  • Hairstyles(or Helmets): We’d like to be able to add a choice of hairstyles and helmets(when applicable) for every class to further differentiate them.
  • Gender: This is the most difficult one, as it is essentially doubling the art workload for the classes we plan to offer.
As stated, the above options will all be stretch goals as they will require us to hire even more artists. Hopefully we can hit them, but regardless we’ll still try do as much as we can before(and after) launch.

Fan Art Contest
We’ve only received a few entries so far for our Fan Art Contest, and so we’ve decided to extend the deadline until Wednesday September 6th at 12am EST.

It’s open to everyone and we’re giving away prizes to the top 5 entries. For more information, read this update.

Community Forum
One of our backers, Sinistar, asked if he could start up a community forum for fans to engage in discussions about The Iron Oath. Since we haven’t set anything up yet we thought it was a good idea! You can find the forum HERE and we encourage you all to sign-up. Chris and I will try our best to drop by as often as possible, but most of our attention will still go towards the private Discord server.

Social Goals
I’ve updated the Social Goals graphic, and we’re so close to unlocking alternate skins for every class! Head to the Social Goals section on the campaign page and find out what you can do to help!

Thank you for reading, and once again thank you for your support! We hope you’re all ready for the stretch goals :)

Ruchy

Scholar
This looks really promising game-play wise but the art direction is what is really selling it for me. Backed.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Having no level restrictions is totally inclined; it's just an artificial way to balance stuff when you can't be arsed to do it properly.

sennin

Curious Panda Games
Developer
This looks really promising game-play wise but the art direction is what is really selling it for me. Backed.
Thanks so much :)
Having no level restrictions is totally inclined; it's just an artificial way to balance stuff when you can't be arsed to do it properly.
We couldn't really think of any reason to include it other than the fact that other games do it. Glad you agree!

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Curious Panda said:
Character Traits can be long lasting(some being permanent) or temporary.
This was a great idea in Darkest Dungeon that they really screwed up. In DD, Traits come and go with such speed that I never really thought about them. Although I had a number of characters I came to think of as my "special guys", I couldn't tell you any of their Traits. Traits just weren't memorable, new ones "pushed out" prior ones, and the ones that were a real pain in the ass were easily cured.

sennin, please make sure that Traits in Iron Oath are substantial and memorable, hard to acquire and hard to get rid of. I want them to define the characters who have them. If they get "cured", it should be a big deal. Don't make it just another notification you click through.

sennin

Curious Panda Games
Developer
Curious Panda said:
Character Traits can be long lasting(some being permanent) or temporary.
This was a great idea in Darkest Dungeon that they really screwed up. In DD, Traits come and go with such speed that I never really thought about them. Although I had a number of characters I came to think of as my "special guys", I couldn't tell you any of their Traits. Traits just weren't memorable, new ones "pushed out" prior ones, and the ones that were a real pain in the ass were easily cured.

sennin, please make sure that Traits in Iron Oath are substantial and memorable, hard to acquire and hard to get rid of. I want them to define the characters who have them. If they get "cured", it should be a big deal. Don't make it just another notification you click through.
Can't disagree with you there. I liked the idea and types of traits in DD, but the execution could have been better. As you say, they didn't help to define a character since they changed so often, and were easily removed by just throwing them into a building. When I think of traits for our game, it's much closer to CK2 in terms of duration, and how you had to work around and with the traits of your ruler to get the most out of them.

Infinitron

It still have a week left and almost reach it goal, wanna do a fundraiser? We can aim for the 1 k one and design a quest

I like the sound of that :P

Iznaliu

Arbiter
and how you had to work around and with the traits of your ruler to get the most out of them.

This will be interesting; however, CK2 doesn't do much with this since traits mostly boil down to bonuses.

sennin

Curious Panda Games
Developer
Thanks so much guys, funded with one week remaining! We're really excited for these stretch goals, hope we can make a few happen!

Update #14: We're funded! (+Stretch Goals & Add-Ons)
We're funded! (+Stretch Goals & Add-Ons)

We did it! We are absolutely blown away right now, and really did not expect to get funded this early in the day! Thank you so much to all of you for your incredible support on this journey so far. We are so damn happy right now and we cannot wait to get back into full-time work on The Iron Oath, but we still have one week to go here and we're not done yet! Let's get started on some stretch goals, shall we? :)

8cc8934feabe35f798bcaedb1ae11439_original.png

Guild Council($55K): Council members can be recruited from all over the world, but not all will be equal in ability. Each member will offer you advice and has a number of tasks that they can perform for the guild.

The Master at Arms is in charge of your warrior classes, he or she is able to train them either as a group or individually, and you can also send them on missions to various destinations to find promising new recruits. The Archmage functions in the same fashion, but is instead charged with your mages.

The Emissary is your guild’s chosen representative for improving your reputation with other factions. When assigned, they will slowly increase your reputation over time with the targeted faction. In addition, they will bring a variety of missions to your attention that the target requires assistance with, allowing you to further increase your reputation and get rewarded in the process.

The Master of Intrigue is your main advisor and functions as your eyes and ears throughout the land. They will bring important matters to your attention that you may otherwise never hear about(such as a plot to kill a liege) in addition to any unsubstantiated rumors that may be worth looking into. They also have the ability to disrupt relations between factions of your choosing, potentially providing the spark that leads to an all out war.

As a bonus, when a character of yours retires from active duty, you will be given the chance to keep them around by offering them a position on your council. If their loyalty rating is high enough, they will likely accept the job.

Sea Travel & Encounters($65K): Every major coastal city will be given a port from which they can trade and send troops along numerous sea-routes. You can pay for passage across these routes in order to save time, but much like on land, there is a possibility of Encounters. Many different types of sea encounters exist, such as being boarded by pirates(in which combat will take place on the ship’s deck), spotting a tradeship, or even crossing paths with an entire fleet.

Purchase your own vessel($70K): If you gather enough coin, you may purchase a vessel of your own to do with what you wish. The ship will act as a separate unit for you to command in the overworld. You may leave it behind at a port while you continue on land, and order it around the map as you see fit. Paying for its crew, upgrades, and maintenance can get costly. Fortunately, owning a vessel will also present some unique opportunities for you to profit. A merchant may approach you and offer payment to transport their goods across the sea, or a family seeking refuge in a new city may pay for passage.

If you so desire, you can turn to piracy on the high seas, stalking trading lanes and taking what you want by force. Being branded as pirates will have its own set of consequences(and opportunities) however, so you best be prepared to deal with them.

$85K: This stretch goal will be revealed once the Guild Council is unlocked!

We're incredibly excited about all three of these stretch goals, and we really feel they will add a large amount of depth to the overworld and guild management. We hope that you feel the same!

Add-Ons
If you'd like, you can now pledge a higher amount to receive additional rewards.

0a58b682ee1da0d8485aecc366c29bfd_original.png

Click on the 'Manage your pledge' button at the top, and then increase your pledge in the 'Pledge Amount' box. Add the price of reward you want(listed below), and you can tell us later in a survey what you raised your pledge for (do not change the tier that you are currently pledged at).

• Additional Digital Game(Steam or Humble): $15 per copy
  • Digital Art Book: $5
  • Digital Soundtrack by Alex Roe: $10
--

A big thank you once again to everyone. Whether you pledged or just helped spread the word(or both!), your support has been amazing and we are so grateful to each of you. Let's keep it going now and unlock some stretch goals together! :)

sennin

Curious Panda Games
Developer
Congratulations. Curious Panda's marketing and social media game was on point and a good example for any indies looking to do kickstarter. Now we just hope your design and development game is also on point.

Thanks man :) We'll do our very best not to let you guys down! So hyped to get back to work on everything, it's been tough having to focus on the marketing side for so long.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Backed. This looks really pretty, a rare accomplishment with pixel art.

I like the apparent depth of character progression, and the variety of classes. I hope you guys can pull off making each class feel distinct.

I could wish for non diablo-based loot, but no one's perfect :D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
This game just doesn't look good. No dwarves yet they dare call it a 'fantasy' game. The comabts creen looks awful. Specific character classes seem to be forced to use specific equipment. Only 6 active skills +2 passive ones. WTH.

At best it would be playable at worse. Nah.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
One of the best Kickstarter video game campaigns this year by far! Everything about it was executed very professionally and with much style. Well organized, communicated and displayed campaign made it possible that in the decline age of Kickstarter when overall money raised is constantly dropping you reach your funding goal. If only some other devs (like Demiurgos, hope they try it again) had your marketing skill there would be much less failed Kickstarters. I mean it shouldn't be hard to market such an interesting and promising game but it is necessary and you knew how to do it.

One other thing which I really like about your campaign is the structure of your stretch goals. First and foremost you knew how to set realistic funding goal which will actually hep yuu cover at least part of your expenses and won't seem neither too high nor too low in current Kickstarter climate. Every single stretch goal so far revealed seems to be meaningfull and to actually improve the game. Benefit of that is backers actually being motivated to increase their pledges or pledge for first time simply to reach for example being able to have vessel or sea encounters and trading instead of your usual if we get 100k more we'll add Chinese localisation. Look, I like China, nothing personal, their food is great, their localisation could boost the sales but to be frank with you - I couldn't care less about it just like Chinese wouldn't about French localistion etc. On the other hand all of us are looking forward to having Guild Council ala CK2 Council and playing as pirate guild on high seas.

Also I think that though your battle/fighting system and mechanics are great what really sets your game apart from competition (like Darkest Dungeon for example) is overworld layer of gameplay, guild management, world and various faction politics simulation and sandbox gameplay in that world. We have all encountered and been members of countless guilds in our RPGs but rarely any if any of them gave us this amount of control over guild management. Was Council from CK2 inspiration for Guild Council, cause I'd say it was? This game seems to be giving us all the stuff we expected Battle Brothers will become with dlcs which never came, at least when it comes to world simulation and giving us as much room and possibilities for different interactions with said world. Archmage Rises is another promising project with similar goals but trying to accomplish them on different level - focus being on single character, improved Daggerfall with only mage class almost.

You might want to update your social goals cause I think today you reached 500+ followers on Facebook which means we're 7/8 until unlcoking additional skin for every class. Is it really possible that no major gaming publications (2+ according to social goals) posted anything about your campaign? 'Journalists' of all kinds including gaming ... why did I even have any expectations from them. Would you perhaps consider additional campaign for any unreached stretch goals on Indiegogo once Kickstarter is finished? Ancient cities dev did this recently and it was huge success for them. If present stretch goals are anything to go by I can't wait to see future ones and I wish you to unlock as many of them as possible.

sennin

Curious Panda Games
Developer
One of the best Kickstarter video game campaigns this year by far! Everything about it was executed very professionally and with much style. Well organized, communicated and displayed campaign made it possible that in the decline age of Kickstarter when overall money raised is constantly dropping you reach your funding goal. If only some other devs (like Demiurgos, hope they try it again) had your marketing skill there would be much less failed Kickstarters. I mean it shouldn't be hard to market such an interesting and promising game but it is necessary and you knew how to do it.

One other thing which I really like about your campaign is the structure of your stretch goals. First and foremost you knew how to set realistic funding goal which will actually hep yuu cover at least part of your expenses and won't seem neither too high nor too low in current Kickstarter climate. Every single stretch goal so far revealed seems to be meaningfull and to actually improve the game. Benefit of that is backers actually being motivated to increase their pledges or pledge for first time simply to reach for example being able to have vessel or sea encounters and trading instead of your usual if we get 100k more we'll add Chinese localisation. Look, I like China, nothing personal, their food is great, their localisation could boost the sales but to be frank with you - I couldn't care less about it just like Chinese wouldn't about French localistion etc. On the other hand all of us are looking forward to having Guild Council ala CK2 Council and playing as pirate guild on high seas.

Also I think that though your battle/fighting system and mechanics are great what really sets your game apart from competition (like Darkest Dungeon for example) is overworld layer of gameplay, guild management, world and various faction politics simulation and sandbox gameplay in that world. We have all encountered and been members of countless guilds in our RPGs but rarely any if any of them gave us this amount of control over guild management. Was Council from CK2 inspiration for Guild Council, cause I'd say it was? This game seems to be giving us all the stuff we expected Battle Brothers will become with dlcs which never came, at least when it comes to world simulation and giving us as much room and possibilities for different interactions with said world. Archmage Rises is another promising project with similar goals but trying to accomplish them on different level - focus being on single character, improved Daggerfall with only mage class almost.

You might want to update your social goals cause I think today you reached 500+ followers on Facebook which means we're 7/8 until unlcoking additional skin for every class. Is it really possible that no major gaming publications (2+ according to social goals) posted anything about your campaign? 'Journalists' of all kinds including gaming ... why did I even have any expectations from them. Would you perhaps consider additional campaign for any unreached stretch goals on Indiegogo once Kickstarter is finished? Ancient cities dev did this recently and it was huge success for them. If present stretch goals are anything to go by I can't wait to see future ones and I wish you to unlock as many of them as possible.

Thank you so much, absolutely brings a big smile to my face to read these types of comments :)

Really glad you like the stretch goals. Things like localization are obviously nice to have but we definitely just want to focus on the game's features for now, and if we decide that's something we want to closer to release then we'll always have the option to look into it. The CK2 Council was indeed the inspiration for the Guild Council and that's probably the one I'm most excited about. It's just an extra layer of strategy and a way for you to further influence the world around you.

Thanks for the reminder on the Social Goals, I'll update it now. The biggest article we have had so far was from PCGamesN, I think TechRaptor would be the 2nd biggest. We were thinking major sites would be like Destructoid, Kotaku, Rockpapershotgun, PCGamer and the like. But now that you bring it up I think I'll make an exception and mark that first goal as completed ;) As for additional funding, we're going to be using BackerKit after the campaign and allowing people to still pledge or do add-ons. Not sure how long we'll leave it open for or how much we can expect to get, but hopefully we can squeeze out an extra stretch goal that way!

Iznaliu

Arbiter
This game just doesn't look good. No dwarves yet they dare call it a 'fantasy' game. The comabts creen looks awful. Specific character classes seem to be forced to use specific equipment. Only 6 active skills +2 passive ones. WTH.

Fantasy doesn't have to have fantasy races, as long as it has magic and stuff.

Zombra

Patron
Fantasy doesn't have to have fantasy races, as long as it has magic and stuff.
As long as there's a suit of plate armor out there that has exposed thighs, even magic can slide. Iron Oath delivers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom