Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Journey Down - Chapter 3 out now

hello friend

Arcane
The Journey Down, an episodic adventure game, set in a fictional Carribeanesque place. Initially a one man AGS project. Cool art, nice jazz soundtrack. Just finished Chapter Two, which came out not long ago.

I must say, this is the best adventure game to come out in recent years imo. Puzzles are a bit easy tho. Anyone else played this? Thoughts?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I only played the free version back when it was released on the AGS site, but I remember it being one of the better adventure games I'd played in a while. Reminded me of the early parts of Grim Fandango. I'll probably pick up the new chapters sometime soon.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The commercial version is better than the already very good free version. The game is really solid in terms of art, sound, and pacing, and I think some of the writing is very good, too. Its only shortcoming was with the puzzles, which I think have clearly proven to be the hardest part of the "golden age" of adventure games to replicate. Even the old designers who could do them seem to have lost the touch.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thanks, Crooked Bee.
The chapters released thus far flat out ooze that elusive, irresistible semi-"LucasArtsy" charm without feeling like a cheap knock-off or a mere competent imitation, which is a huge accomplishment in and of itself. Combine that with an enjoyable plot progression plus excellent production values and you get a package no self-respective Codexer should miss. I might agree with the notion some puzzles could use a bit of... ingenuity? wackiness (in all the right ways)?, that's a valid complaint, but such issues barely detract from the overall enjoyment of pointing 'n' clicking through such a lavish, lovingly crafted world. Excellent stuff.
Definitely backing the third part, here's hoping SkyGoblin still have a few aces up their sleeves.

Ivan

Arcane
Hey guys, just finished playing Chapter 1 and I gotta say I really enjoyed myself.

My only complaint (as with the genre) is those instances where the pc won't pick up or find something in an area unless the game deems him too. I can search a book and not find anything in it, but when I receive a fetch quest now I can find stuff in it. I'm not partial to that design.

However, it sounds great, it looks great, has the charm. It does feel like Monkey Island+Grim Fandango.
It is incredibly short but I hear Ch2 is quite lengthy.

:4/5:

Ivan

Arcane
The Journey Down Chapter 2 is a fantastic sequel to the brief, but still very solid, first chapter. The catchy Jazz soundtrack is as soothing as before, the rooms are beautiful with detail, a rainy afro-noir city and a blooming beachside are particular treats. While I’ve always enjoyed the charm of the characters, what really impresses me about this series is the consistency of its puzzles. Seldom do adventure games flow so smoothly as they do here, save for that blasted final puzzle that left me scratching my head. Anyway, I wholeheartedly recommend that you check out this series. I place it in the empyrean of the genre.

:5/5:

Boleskine

Arcane
Chapter 3 comes out on August 25.

TJD3 gets a release date!
6 Comments
"" data-evaluation="true">
20 likes

4b9956ccc01b2d56d197627dce334d0d_original.jpg

Mathias, Henrik, Theo and Arvid at the SkyGoblin office
Hi my name is Arvid and i'm currently an intern here at Skygoblin. I'm writing this update while the others are busy working on JD3. An official release date has finally been set, the 25th of August 2017.

It seems like the game is getting togheter pretty good even though it needs to be polished in some places. German text localiation has been added to chapter 1 and 2. Plenty of bugs has also been fixed in chapter 1 and 2.

Here is some nice new GIFs!

5cc606bc34c0938cf16182c15e691afd_original.gif

Sankara town has come to life!

12910ad8bd8fae5489a04959338af1a6_original.gif

Explore the tropics in TJD3!

cdff997c98b33f2e2aeda4e38c0e875d_original.gif

In TJD3, Lina is also a playable character.

And by the way, while the others has been busy making TJD3 i've made a game about flying trees. It's pretty cool right?

f9f94ebcafd178c22a3cb9ba635fe343_original.gif

My flying trees game

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I finished the first chapter a few days ago. It was awful, short and nothing really happened. No real puzzles, too. I was about to give up on this, but decided to play the chapter two.

It's so much, much better. It even has a few puzzles and more location than a ship and a gas station. I will probably get the final chapter on a sale. Here's hoping it will at least keep up the chapter two's level.

Boleskine

Arcane
Skygoblin has enough money leftover to do another month of testing and debugging, so the new release date is September 21.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Ugh, that price tag. Waiting for -75% sale it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom