Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Of Us 2 - now with protagonist-murdering trannies

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
On top of that mass producing the cure is something entirely different, so I'd say the chances of her death serving a practical purpose are very low.
I just rewatched the leaked footage. In the game's opening, Joel is telling Tommy what happened at the hospital. He says: "Because of her, they were actually gonna make a cure".
He is alone with his brother and has no reason not to tell what's he really believes. For me, it just reinforces that it was a weak selfish choice that he made for himself, very much influenced by his own trauma. They wouldn't have put so much emphasis on Sarah if it didn't matter for the ending.
ND never put anything there for us to assume he made the choice with pragmatic skepticism about the cure production in mind. This is not supported neither in-game nor in discussions outside the game. Obviously they don't want to bog down this moral choice with medical details and production logistics.
It was always 'Ellie vs The Cure'. He just chose Ellie.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
On top of that mass producing the cure is something entirely different, so I'd say the chances of her death serving a practical purpose are very low.
I just rewatched the leaked footage. In the game's opening, Joel is telling Tommy what happened at the hospital. He says: "Because of her, they were actually gonna make a cure".

That's a retcon. Fireflies weren't sure about that at the end of Tlou1.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
And in Fallout 2 we learn that vaults were a social experiment.

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
And in Fallout 2 we learn that vaults were a social experiment.
Can you point to a single piece of info that at least hints at Joel's choice being influenced by practicalities of cure production? Any line of dialogue or journal?
What I remember is this: when Marlene tells Joel that they have to kill Ellie for the cure, he doesn't express any doubt about cure production. He says "Find another" (immune person). He's fine with another (possibly) kid dying for the cure, just not 'his' kid.
All of the dialogue and story background (Sarah, their struggle together etc.) tells us he is just too attached to her, so that cure doesn't matter to him.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Can you point to a single piece of info that at least hints at Joel's choice being influenced by practicalities of cure production? Any line of dialogue or journal?
I'm commenting on the premise itself. Look at the current pandemic. We have the best biotech companies locked in a race to produce the cure and make billions. They have the funds, the equipment, and the motivation, but no vaccine or cure in sight because it's not that easy. These things take many years if not decades and the outcome is far from certain. We discovered that llamas produce antibodies that block the virus from entering cells 4 years ago. Still no vaccine because engineering these antibodies isn't easy even if you have nearly unlimited resources.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The age old question - would you sacrifice someone to save millions? Even the entire humanity? Even for a chance to do that.

Our philosophy professor's favourite mind tease was "The aliens land and demand one specific person to be sacrificed in a blood ritual, or they destroy the Earth. Now 7 billion people can vote. Estimate the result."

OctavianRomulus

Learned
What a goddamn shame. They have such incredible artists working at Naughty Dog. I haven't played their games but their art is incredible. Imagine crunching on this game, knowing your company can do so much better but it's infested by SJW agenda. I'd become jaded pretty quickly.

KVVRR

Learned
The age old question - would you sacrifice someone to save millions? Even the entire humanity? Even for a chance to do that.

Our philosophy professor's favourite mind tease was "The aliens land and demand one specific person to be sacrificed in a blood ritual, or they destroy the Earth. Now 7 billion people can vote. Estimate the result."
Vote for what, whether we should kill someone for the good of us all or for who should be inmediatedly executed? 'cause there's no way people won't just murder someone to save earth. possibly someone really famous yet hated. Afterwards the aliens would even be praised as heros.

anyhow there's really no way the fireflies could ever fabricate and distribute a cure.

Olinser

Savant

That's not what was presented though. The credibility of the person making the offer has a HUGE impact on the decision.

If Bill Gates and Elon Musk approach you together and say that they are confident that dissecting your kid would cure cancer, a lot of people would at least consider it.

If a drunk hobo approaches you and says the same thing, NOBODY would consider it for a second.

These idiots are the drunk hobos. They demonstrated absolutely nothing to convince them that they could actually make the alleged cure. So you're not weighing a life against a cure. You're weighing a life against a CHANCE that they can make the cure, and their organization simply doesn't inspire the confidence necessary to let them kill Ellie, ESPECIALLY since they seem to have made absolutely no attempt to get the samples they needed non-lethally.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Are you for real!? There are people which would like to check out and then there is Xi Jinping.

Also I would vote for Hillary in a heart beat. Also Merkel ... I'm aroused by all the possibilities :P

Your philosophy professor was a retard. Don't be like him.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
lol. who knew there were just so many ladies walking around in the wasteland, waiting to be killed by a 19 year old girl.

edit: was the demo player using aim assist? because it looked like it to me.

MapMan

Arcane
Looks like U4 asset flip in parts. I could spot reused models and animations but whatever. My fear is that it'll play more like Uncharted than TLoU. Also this gen is aging fast now.

vota DC

Augur

Still vaccine for a fungus sounds suspicious, and the faction that propose it unlike military or random scavengers is famous for being sadist liars without purpose except to spread lies and disorder for the sake of it.
It reminds me some new retcon about pacifist Hitler wanting only a glass of juice.

KVVRR

Learned

Still vaccine for a fungus sounds suspicious, and the faction that propose it unlike military or random scavengers is famous for being sadist liars without purpose except to spread lies and disorder for the sake of it.
It reminds me some new retcon about pacifist Hitler wanting only a glass of juice.
Do they want to make a vaccine or a cure? Because I remember the word "cure" being thrown around a lot more.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Indeed, except for I simplified the choice (do you let them kill the girl for a *chance* to get the cure or not) and you simplified the narrative (a deranged man kills scientists working on a cure).
Your entire analogy with the context is completely off, in order for that choice to be a real moral conundrum it SHOULD be presented without any emotional attachment to any party involved.

I'll literally draw a picture:

image-20150916-29630-figaj3.png

THIS is an actual moral quandary. Now imagine you start polluting it with moving background stories about that dude on the right or the chick by the lever. You'd turn this into a fucking eintopf, clouding and muddying everything with feelz.
Can I ask the lone guy to move with the others, so there's no need for second trolley?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Watched the gameplay video, these people over at ND are sick fucks, the game looks like a snuff film... They glorify violence, despair and mutilation in every detail, like we should be impressed with it.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Watched the gameplay video, these people over at ND are sick fucks, the game looks like a snuff film... They glorify violence, despair and mutilation in every detail, like we should be impressed with it.

100% agree, I love stylised violence usually but this is some sick sadistic shit.

It probably just comes down to desensitization but people need to take a look at themselves and stop exposing themselves to such extreme numbing material.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom