Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime The Last of Us - Part II

Plisken

Learned
Not-ellen-page was insufferable enough as a side character

Now an entire game as an mc? No thanks

Ash

Arcane
Somewhere along the way the industry forgot about this is supposed to be FUN, not to allow the douchebags tards who make this to feel edgy by making interactive b-movies, that would be viewed as passable as best and quickly forgotten, direct to video fodder if these were real films.

Indeed. It's one shitshow after another. Rest in peace my beloved hobby.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I didn't hate the first one, but it is incredibly, shamelessly derivative. It's basically every single post-apocalypse story beat, trope, and cliche churned together to make a 8 or so hour game, strung together with barely above adequate shooting and stealth sections and padded out by bare-bones puzzles.

Honestly, just put on The Road, you'll get a much better experience at a quarter of the length.

Ash

Arcane
I didn't hate the first one, but it is incredibly, shamelessly derivative. It's basically every single post-apocalypse story beat, trope, and cliche churned together to make a 8 or so hour game, strung together with barely above adequate shooting and stealth sections and padded out by bare-bones puzzles.

Why is something like that winning awards, being a best-seller and holding great sway over the industry and the already abysmal standards of everything relating to it including the audience not something to despise?

The Last of Us 2 and Spiderman will restart the period of action/adventure games that try too much to be movies.
If it has meaningful gameplay that could improve the narrative instead of survival cliches+cutscenes then there might be hope for narrative driven games, if not then they could go fuck themselves.
Atleast japanese AAA games have both good gameplay and occassionally a good story despite being too philosipical.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Why is something like that winning awards, being a best-seller and holding great sway over the industry and the already abysmal standards of everything relating to it including the audience not something to despise?
Meh,it is a console shit. Who gives a crap about it? The second one will most likely fail.

Ash

Arcane
I play games on both consoles and PCs. Mostly PCs these days though, since consoles don't really offer anything unique anymore and there's so much decline.

Disregarding being a bigger loser gamer than you, consoles hold great sway over the industry so you should always care what's going on.
There's also the fact that it isn't really "console shit" per se. It's just a shit game. There's plenty trash on PC also. Have you even looked at the steam library lately? I play consoles for the games that aren't shit. Same with PC...though these days I usually just emulate the consoles. Emulation community is massive incline.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I play games on both consoles and PCs. Mostly PCs these days though, since consoles don't really offer anything unique anymore and there's so much decline.

Disregarding being a bigger loser gamer than you, consoles hold great sway over the industry so you should always care what's going on.
There's also the fact that it isn't really "console shit" per se. It's just a shit game. There's plenty trash on PC also. Have you even looked at the steam library lately? I play consoles for the games that aren't shit. Same with PC...though these days I usually just emulate the consoles. Emulation community is massive incline.
Hahahaha a little bit too defective there mate ;) . Consoles are loosing their grip on the industry to be honest,they just can't keep up with the hardware. I am still waiting to see game that i would have issue not seeing on pc. They are far too restricted by the hardware and the developers lack of imagination (industry is drying them out making the same shit). Only good console games could easily be emulated. I never had a console in my life and i feel blessed by this development. Ohh i lied,i had a Terminator 64,played mario. Still no offence meant,to everyone their own.

Ash

Arcane

Hahahaha a little bit too defective there mate ;) . Consoles are loosing their grip on the industry to be honest,they just can't keep up with the hardware. I am still waiting to see game that i would have issue not seeing on pc. They are far too restricted by the hardware and the developers lack of imagination (industry is drying them out making the same shit). Only good console games could easily be emulated. I never had a console in my life and i feel blessed by this development. Ohh i lied,i had a Terminator 64,played mario. Still no offence meant,to everyone their own.

Yup there's no need to own a console when you can just emulate all the classics.
These days there is a lot of shit console games, though there are exceptions e.g Dark Souls.
Back in the day though, this was not the case. Game design in general was better when it wasn't intended for everyone and their grandmother for optimal sales, and didn't have realistic graphics hogging budgets and impeding on gameplay.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yup there's no need to own a console when you can just emulate all the classics.
These days there is a lot of shit console games, though there are exceptions e.g Dark Souls.
Back in the day though, this was not the case. Game design in general was better when it wasn't intended for everyone and their grandmother for optimal sales, and didn't have realistic graphics hogging budgets and impeding on gameplay.
Agree,still even today there are good and sometime great games. I didn't expected to enjoy ELEX that much,i was messing with the hype in the thread and just bought it on impulse. It was 50 euro well spend in my book, and i am a fucking pirate. I am not a big fan of DS games,too much rolling around,even joke with my friends that it is a tumbling simulator. But maybe that is because i am a hardcore pc gamer,maybe it is different on the console. The port of all three games is absolute shit.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Must say that Nintendo seems to be the only console developer these days to make games with actual gameplay and content, not emotional engaging shit like this. This really says all about the current state of the industry.

Shinji

Savant

Must say that Nintendo seems to be the only console developer these days to make games with actual gameplay and content, not emotional engaging shit like this. This really says all about the current state of the industry.

Pretty much agree.
Most western developers -- specially younger ones -- want to make games that imitate movies, as they seem to regard games as inferior or immature.
And thus, to their eyes, the more a game is similar to a movie, the more "mature" and "avant garde" it will be.

I mean, just look at this interview with one of the designers of Splatoon 2:
I’m stereotyping, but in the West, scope, visuals, and features are the main attraction. For example, when we used to have Kojima Productions L.A.—we had an office in Los Angeles—we would get proposals for new games, pitches. It always started with: “This is the world you’re in. This is the experience I’m going to give you.” And gameplay was relegated to page 5 or 6 or 10. It was always about who you’re playing, who is the character, what’s going on, but not the “how,” how am I playing this?

In Japan, a pitch is a page, maybe two. The first page you write what the game is about and how you play it. And the second page, maybe you need an illustration. We don’t care about who, or what the story is, what the game world is, all of this doesn’t really matter.

Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/splatoon-2-hideo-kojima-nintendo-japanese-games-w501322

flyingjohn

Arcane
Modern game designers grew up on call of duty,cover based shooters and moviegames masquerading as games.They have no experience with anything good when it comes to actual game play,and the next generation is growing up on multiplayer only and lootbox focused games.The 90's were a fluke that won't repeat itself.

And once the old guard of Nintendo dies,you can expect the same thing to happen with Nintendo games.Japs love mobile games.

Ash

Arcane
Decline era has not been ongoing long enough for new developers to move in entirely sheltered from great game design. 10 or so years of decline...I suppose that is enough time to be all some knows, yet probably not enough to progress to senior design positions or even higher. All the decline is coming primarily from the inside out so far. Oldfag developers that sold out, others coming of age that felt their craft wasn't "mature" enough and strove to tell stories with minimal or filler gameplay because gameplay is for kids...or some really shallow dumb senile nonsense along those lines. Others that just bend over when publisher demands design for absolute mass consumption. Probably plenty other insipid caricatures, as well as some newbies lacking a point of reference moving in as freshman or a career path switch.

But anyway, your point: the old ways. It's all near-lost art at this point, and things will likely just get somehow even worse, yes. I don't know whether to despise the insiders, or just be grateful for the good years many did give us. A bit of both is warranted, I think.

Last edited:

Japanese devs in general have a bigger focus on gameplay, even Kojiima games despite having cheesy and long cutscenes usually have enjoyable gameplay especially when compared to naughty dog stuff or david cage.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Decline era has not been ongoing long enough for new developers to move in entirely sheltered from great game design. 10 or so years of decline...I suppose that is enough time to be all some knows, yet probably not enough to progress to senior design positions or even higher. All the decline is coming primarily from the inside out so far. Oldfag developers that sold out, others coming of age that felt their craft wasn't "mature" enough and strove to tell stories with minimal or filler gameplay because gameplay is for kids...or some really shallow dumb senile nonsense along those lines. Others that just bend over when publisher demands design for absolute mass consumption. Probably plenty other insipid caricatures, as well as some newbies lacking a point of reference moving in as freshman or a career path switch.

But anyway, your point: the old ways. It's all near-lost art at this point, and things will likely just get somehow even worse, yes. I don't know whether to despise the insiders, or just be grateful for the good years many did give us. A bit of both is warranted, I think.
I think that once the industry crash ,there will be incline after.

A crash might happen in the following years thanks to EA and Activision.

Falksi

Arcane
Hated the first, never been so bored out my mind. Stupidly predictable "twist" too. Pure torture to play and why people enjoying ammo collection/organizing so much I'll never know.

These type of games are RPG's for people incapable of making decisions, and unable to understand stats & builds. Fuck them all in the ass.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

A crash might happen in the following years thanks to EA and Activision.
The first one could be ubisoft. They are in constant corporate struggle and origins is not selling that well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom