Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The last turn-based Dungeons & Dragons game was released 10 years ago...

Will we ever see another turn-based D&D game?

• Total voters

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
In fact I just wish someone would just fucking do FRUA 2.0 and bring it into the 21st Century

Dungeon Craft already did, yet it doesn't appear to have much going on in terms of modules.
Yes, Dungeon Craft proves my point -- even with a good number of fans having donated sprites, it'll never have an art library comparable to UA's, and I still think the only way the engine works is with old-school sensibilities.

skyst

Augur
Hasbro/WotC are frustrating companies to be involved with as a gamer. I've been into D&D and Magic: The Gathering off and on for over 20 years and now, as a 30-something with disposable income, struggle to find something from these franchises worth spending time on.

Tabletop RPGs can't pull in a ton of money assuming my gaming group is not too dissimilar to others; I've had a rotating roster of ~10 players in about as many years and have 2 rulebooks and a couple of HeroLab licenses between us. Is anyone buying those awful $100, pre-painted action figures and book after book of equipment and class options? A clever DM is always going to provide better handcrafted content, anyway.

I never understood why WotC, Paizo, etc, don't have electronic versions of their games. Perhaps that is Paizo's plan with Obsidian, but it just seems like common sense when your company stays afloat producing a fictitious world and the ruleset to do stuff in it. Why stop at producing a $20 book that ~6 people can get a year of fun out of when you can create a $40 game using the same rules and writing that each of those 6 players can and will purchase? I'd fucking love to play through Kingmaker or, especially, Iron Gods or Strange Aeons as a PCRPG.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
I never understood why WotC, Paizo, etc, don't have electronic versions of their games. Perhaps that is Paizo's plan with Obsidian, but it just seems like common sense when your company stays afloat producing a fictitious world and the ruleset to do stuff in it. Why stop at producing a $20 book that ~6 people can get a year of fun out of when you can create a $40 game using the same rules and writing that each of those 6 players can and will purchase? I'd fucking love to play through Kingmaker or, especially, Iron Gods or Strange Aeons as a PCRPG.

If they're anything like GW it's because they're terrified that cheap electronic versions will destroy their sales. D&D probably still sells well enough and videogames provide an expanded market in and of themselves. It's not necessarily a rational decision and I agree that to survive long term they will need to make that transition.

Personally an electronic version of D&D appeals to me a lot more than the pure-TT version does. A map designer for the dungeon master, an online "store" where pre-made campaigns and level maps are available to purchase from professional designers and where other players have made their own to share for free. Character sheets at your fingertips with the full, unabridged rules for each thing just a tap or click away.

The main weakness is that it will be really difficult for players to accomplish highly imaginative things inside the limitations of the program, that would normally be arbitrated by an informal vote between players or by the player arguing with the DM about it. For that reason the Dungeon Master will need to have pretty extensive tools for just doin' whatever the fuck they want at any point in time even if it ignores the regular rules of the game.

getter77

Augur
I guess they could always throw money at 10x10 Room on Conclave or even the Low Magic Age outfit out of China---but ultimately the parent entities don't want to invest so much as perpetually and disproportionately recoup relative to their efforts...so....yeah. :/

Dorateen

Arcane
It depends on what people want out of their D&D computer role-playing game. If it's the official license and established setting with iconic characters, then yes, I think it's going to be a while.

But there's plenty of opportunity for developers to create a turn-based fantasy combat and world simulation, should they choose to do so. I'd say we will see something like that before this decade is over.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In fact I just wish someone would just fucking do FRUA 2.0 and bring it into the 21st Century

Dungeon Craft already did, yet it doesn't appear to have much going on in terms of modules.
Yes, Dungeon Craft proves my point -- even with a good number of fans having donated sprites, it'll never have an art library comparable to UA's, and I still think the only way the engine works is with old-school sensibilities.

This is more of what I had in mind as a FRUA 2.0 (if they ever do finish this): http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/talespire-digital-role-playing-system.107692/

This would be fucking amazing.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's certainly beautiful. I'm curious whether it would ultimately have the same ease of design as FRUA, but I'd love to see it in action, that's for sure!

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
That actually look fantastic. The art looks a lot like Udnerworld Overlord.

This is more of what I had in mind as a FRUA 2.0 (if they ever do finish this): http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/talespire-digital-role-playing-system.107692/

This would be fucking amazing.

I had forgotten about that project due to it being quiet. It certainly has a great aesthetic. Since that time Warlock of Firetop Mountain came out in similar visual concept. Visually it is great but very simple adventures really.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Meh to be honest who cares about D&D anyways? They have almost killed all their interesting settings like Ravenloft, Planescape & Dragonlance and their ruleset is dangerously close to what we saw on Dragon Age Origins
It is funny how things that were so important so vital in your youth can be sucked dry and thrown away by retarded brand owners
You wouldn't believe how many calls I got from friends of mine after seeing Stranger Things how they remebered the gaming sessions we used to have with tabletop AD&D and games like Baldurs Gate... geeky stuff has never been so fashionable as today

skyst

Augur
Meh to be honest who cares about D&D anyways? They have almost killed all their interesting settings like Ravenloft, Planescape & Dragonlance...

D&D simply has the most brand recognition and is often a gamer's first dive into the world of tabletop RPGs. Writing it off because the more interesting settings have been abandoned kind of ignores the best part of D&D - player creativity. Besides, it's pretty simple to grab an old source book and use the setting with new rules.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom