Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel II Released

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Crooked Bee, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Naesaki Novice

Naesaki
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I was really confused by this as well, I launched it from the folder it created where the installer was and just no matter what i did I was getting no sound at all.

It was only when I reinstalled it thinking i botched the installation that I even noticed it was also installing to the C:\ drive.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LJ40 Learned

LJ40
    Parrots:
    Cross posting from translations thread:

Edit - Disreguard unless this is news for you. This game was translated a few years ago, and I'm stupid.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Grampy_Bone Cipher

Grampy_Bone
    Parrots:
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    Checked out Cold Steel, feels a lot more quick and smooth even without the turbo button. Now I really can't go back to Sky's slow battles and annoying random encounters. Not sitting through 3 games of that.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Parrots:
    There aren't random encounters in Sky games :M

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Grampy_Bone Cipher

Grampy_Bone
    Parrots:
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    When the enemies are invisible until they are almost right on top of you, and they are unavoidable because they can trigger a battle by tagging your trailing characters, that's as good as random.

^ Top  
  6. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Parrots:
    Git gud :positive:

Seriously though, if you find the enemies difficult to avoid in TiTS, it's only an issue in the beginning. Very soon into the game you'll get Eagle Eye quartz which lets you see enemies far away and also shows them in the mini map. This makes it much easier to avoid them. Later in the game (at the end of Chapter 1, if you didn't miss too many BPs), you get Haze quartz which makes you completely invisible to enemies so you don't have to worry about them chasing you for the rest of the game. And even before you get Haze, it's not that hard to avoid enemies if you just slow down a bit and run past them once their back is turned.

As for the combat speed, it should be completely non-issue with the turbo mode if slowness is a problem for you. Combat gets progressively better as the game goes on as you get more party members, abilities, spells and tactics to use. Encounters also get more complex. TiTS 2 and 3 also have even better combat (encounters) too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Naesaki Novice

Naesaki
    Parrots:
    Saw this chibi fan art of Sara on twitter/reddit. Figure Seboist / some of you might appreciate it :P
    [​IMG]

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Parrots:
    She drinks too much.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Alkarl Learned

Alkarl
    Parrots:
    I have been trying to get into this series. Still stuck at Trails in the Sky FC, not very far in.

I had some questions for you, more refined, gentlemen:

So, Trails appears to be a sub-series of Legend of Heroes, are all of the games connected? Only the Trails games? All of TLoH games? Or only some of the sub-series/main series?

What is the main pull of the series, and how would you characterize it?

I've been told it's the dialogue system from some and the combat from others, but I'm also playing Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time atm, and, imo, that game is so superior in just about every way while also being quite similar to TitS FC. Mysterious Protagonist (although I guess the girl is more the actual protagonist in TitS?), Equipable Magic System, even the combat system is comparable, though Growlanser is obviously closer to rtwp :negative:

Anyway, really wanting to break into this series. I actually rather enjoyed TLoH 2, Prophecy of the Witch or whatever it was called. At least what I played of it way back when on my psp.

My main problem right now is that I haven't really hit that narrative hook. So far, I'm playing what amounts to a couple of goofy kids taking up their first part-time job cleaning sewers and running errands. It's not terrible, and it has a certain charm, but it isn't really holding me either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Parrots:
    All the Trails games are connected ie. every game since TiTS FC. They take place in the same setting and have some recurring character between the story arcs. The earlier LoH games are unrelated.

As for TiTS FC, almost everyone seems to have the same experience: it feels like nothing happens at the start and it seems meh but they get hooked later. The story really picks up pace when 'men in black' start appearing more frequently, which is about at he halfway mark (TiTS FC is the shortest game in the series). If you still don't see the appeal around Chapter 3, it's probably not a series for you.

And to quote my previous post:

Trails games work the same way as Baldur's Gate for example, meaning that the next game starts at the same level as the previous ended and you have all the abilities from the previous game right from the start. So, in the later games the combat is more complex from the start since you aren't restricted to one or two abilities in the beginning.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Naesaki Novice

Naesaki
    Parrots:
    I always look at Sky FC and SC as that it is one whole game its just the sheer scope of it split it into two games.
    Show Spoiler
    In that SC does literally take place 5 minutes later.

FC is very slow and does take some perseverance and like Somberlain says I would also agree that around Chapter 3 is when you'll get a good idea of whether you want to continue but it is genuinely a series that deserves a lot more love, so I do personally think its well worth it to keep going as you are in for some very pleasant surprises.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    My experience with Trails in the Sky 1 was quite similar, I liked it but started to get bored and frustrated when it seemed the story was very formulaic with not much happening. Go to a new town, talk to some overly friendly syrupy people, beat some monsters, get your Bracer letter.

That was until the main plot kicked in half way through. After that I was hooked and I absolutely love the series now after playing all the other Trails games released on PC in the west.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Alkarl Learned

Alkarl
    Parrots:
    Alright, I made it to Chapter 1 in FC finally. I have to say, the game is really starting to grow on me. The combat is getting better, especially now that I have a 3 man crew. I didn't really have any actual complaints about the combat though. I managed to get the Eagle Eye quartz, but I don't really see myself using it anytime soon, it gives no combat bonus nor any spells from what I can tell.

As far as the story, I can't say I'm anymore hooked, but things are definitely getting more interesting. Joshua's snake ass is obviously keeping secrets from me, can't wait to find out what the hell that's about. Until then, though, I'm in a new town, and I've started to enjoy talking to the npcs. Before I left Rolent I even made it a point to go around and tell everyone goodbye, and, surprisingly enough, most people had something unique to say.

Game is charming as hell. I have a feeling I'm really going to appreciate this slow simmer the writers put on the story once things start to really heat up.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Seboist Arcane Patron

Seboist
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    FC doesn't truly begin until you have Olivier on the squad. :love:

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Naesaki Novice

Naesaki
    Parrots:
    Eagle Eye is pretty useful in that you can see enemies on the map and also the quartz combination it has can be handy for unlocking certain spell chains early on (consult the magic guide within the game to find all the combinations)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. 4249 Prophet Patron

Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Hoo Hoo x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Hyperion Magister

Hyperion
    Parrots:
    Picked up the game twice, dropped it both times. Failed to see what the Codex's hype was about. Just started it again from Chapter 1, and finally saw myself getting invested towards the middle-end of the Chapter. I'm in Chapter 2 and the ball finally got rolling a bit, it's just unfortunate as the combat started to get fun they took away my party members...

But yeah, open up your orbment slots a bit, then fiddle around with the top and bottom row - Eagle Eye gives a pretty nice bonus that can make some decent spells available to you. Have a quite few Support spells on Estelle, whose magic is otherwise mediocre.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Naesaki Novice

Naesaki
    Parrots:
    With the right accessories you can make Estelle a fairly strong jack of all trades with physical and magical but really she is best just focusing on physical and support spells and you instead throw those magic boosting accessories at Olivier and Kloe and watch them blow everything up.

• Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Parrots:
    Here's a random question: did you guys play through the Trails in the Sky series with a controller or with keyboard and mouse? I played through Trails in the Sky FC exclusively with a controller, but I've been using keyboard and mouse a little in SC and kind of like it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Parrots:
    Mouse and keyboard every time with TiTS. With Cold Steel games I used a controller.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Gearmos Novice

Gearmos
    Parrots:
    Trails in the Sky and Zero no Kiseki User Interface are designed for PC, so you should play them with m+k. On the other hand, Ao no Kiseki and Cold Steel UIs are designed for console, so a controller is recommended. However, you can play XSEED PC ports with k+m or controller. I've played Sky games on PSP and Cold Steel with k+m on PC and they're perfectly playable.

• Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    Xbox 360 Controller for all the Trails games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Naesaki Novice

Naesaki
    Parrots:
    PS3 / PS4 controller all the way for me, much more comfortable when I can sit in a big comfy chair and use the steam link to play.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Hyperion Magister

Hyperion
    Parrots:
    This is exactly where I am right now, and the game has me hook, line, and sinker. Even with the JRPG tropes abound.
    Show Spoiler
    And the obvious FF7 homage with the school play.:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:
    Estelle is such a qt when she's flustered.:love: Game is a bit disappointing as a combatfag though, apparently I already have the best attack spell in the game in White Gehenna. Are the Cold Steel games better for combatfags, or more of the same? I like the game, but I don't know if I can do 5 games if combat never expands into something a little more complex or challenging.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)