Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Nothing is more depressing than the /vg/ translation spreadsheet playthrough.

Nothing.

Actually, this is hype as fug :bounce:

Reminds me of the time when I was around 10 years old and got games like Fallout 2 from a friend's big brother and I didn't understand anything as far as the dialogue went but still had a blast. Now I at least understand everything, even if reading the text from a separate screen simultaneously is a bit slower.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Meh, I alt-tab plenty enough as it is in order to follow a guide as to not miss anything (yet i still ended up missing one character note), so fuck following a spreadsheet for mere dialogue.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I don't think the PC sales determine whether the games were successful enough, considering they were out on PS3/Vita 1,5 years earlier and most Falcom fans probably bought those.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Because Cold Steel 2 sold 4 thousand copies or something ridiculous

Where are you getting this from? I hope not from steamdb or whatever it goes by now - those sites have always been wrong.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

The very famous CSV here which records first achievement clears has Trails 2 at 17k steam users, of whom a number undoubtedly got it on sale for fairly cheap.

Basically if you estimate the multiple of Playstation users to PC players, probably could do that from a survey on the Falcom subreddit for example, you can probably estimate total sales revenues for Cold Steel 2 overall for example, across all the platforms.

Edit: tbh I think that's actually a lot of money, if they could get their shit together and then do a proper contract for CS3 it should break even considering even an average sell prioce of 25*17k is a lot of money. Localisation is like 9 months of work for 2 Durante programmers and 2 translation people and probably the equivalent of 2 full time employees of other expenses I believe.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Man thats depressing. Kiseki series is one of the few great JRPG series and it sold so poorly. No wonder Britany got shafted, XSEED probably need to recover by doing simpler projects. And they even went all out with dubbing as well.

Honestly the cost would probably lower if they aren't doing the whole all the way and beyond with the dubbing, but such dedication is one reason that XSEED is top tier localization company (even though I will use Japanese dub 80% of the time).

Gearmos

Educated
Because Cold Steel 2 sold 4 thousand copies or something ridiculous

Where are you getting this from? I hope not from steamdb or whatever it goes by now - those sites have always been wrong.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

The very famous CSV here which records first achievement clears has Trails 2 at 17k steam users, of whom a number undoubtedly got it on sale for fairly cheap.

Basically if you estimate the multiple of Playstation users to PC players, probably could do that from a survey on the Falcom subreddit for example, you can probably estimate total sales revenues for Cold Steel 2 overall for example, across all the platforms.

Edit: tbh I think that's actually a lot of money, if they could get their shit together and then do a proper contract for CS3 it should break even considering even an average sell prioce of 25*17k is a lot of money. Localisation is like 9 months of work for 2 Durante programmers and 2 translation people and probably the equivalent of 2 full time employees of other expenses I believe.

That data was leaked four months after the game launch, with a max. discount of -10%, and before the Steam Summer Sale. TLoH games have a long term revenue flow, so I wouldn't be worried about such numbers.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I don't think the PC sales determine whether the games were successful enough, considering they were out on PS3/Vita 1,5 years earlier and most Falcom fans probably bought those.
it's the JP console market that's the bread and butter of falcom, even the western console sales pale by comparison.

Also, Tits FC on PSP didn't do great in the west, and we still got more stuff localized after the fact, so there's that.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros, I'm ~10 hours deep in TitS the 3rd and I don't really feel hooked. Is there anything worth continuing later in the game? What's the consensus?

Vagiel

Augur
That's strange. Maybe the dungeon focus doesn't click with you. I would push a little further check a couple of doors and if it still doesn't feel good, just watch the rest on YouTube. There is a lot of story and world building here.

Personally I enjoyed it a lot but I agree it was somewhat different than the rest of the sereie.

Deleted member 7219

Bros, I'm ~10 hours deep in TitS the 3rd and I don't really feel hooked. Is there anything worth continuing later in the game? What's the consensus?

I'm a dedicated, out and proud storyfag. And I loved the 3rd. The doors were great - they explained a lot of backstory, made me understand and appreciate individual characters a lot more, who kind of passed me by or annoyed me when playing FC and SC (e.g. Tita, Agate and especially, ESPECIALLY Renne), others give some important characters some much needed development (Colonel Richards, Anelace), Kevin and Ries' story is pretty damn amazing, especially when they find out Kevin's "secret", and the final dungeon in the game is one of the best I've seen in an RPG.

Momock

Augur
Well, the main interest of the series is the amazing worldbuilding and the way NPCs live their lives instead of being rooted vegetables who repeat the same dialog from beginng to end like in every other RPG. And there's none of this things in The Third (only shitty dungeons, the weakest part of the series. And, to be fair, awesome music). So it's not surprising that you're not hooked. The side-stories for the magic doors are awesome though, I've really liked to learn more about the characters and the lore and never got bored by them despite them being purely narratives (it's usualy not my thing). So I didn't regret my purchase.

If you really can't stand the game at least look the stories from the doors on youtube! (just try little harder before doing this... like 5 hours more?)

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
I feel like the permanent dungeon crawl in the third isn't made up entirely by the really neat doors and it's probably slightly weaker than the first two.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel like the permanent dungeon crawl in the third isn't made up entirely by the really neat doors and it's probably slightly weaker than the first two.

I kinda agree. While I enjoy TitS 1 & 2 greatly, the dungeon/story ratio is smaller in 3 vs the other two. The door are good in explaining lot of things but yeah, the dungeon crawl is the big focus of the game.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ok, bros. I think I'll finish the game. Thank you.

It's not that I dislike the dungeon crawl aspect since the battle system is good. The game is just not similar to the first ones and I didn't expect that.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Finished it not that long ago I avoided because it was dungeon crawler but ended up being not that bad only regret not going back to hub earlier to talk so do that.
Screens!

rating_agenda.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-09-12-57-02-68.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-09-12-57-14-92.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-09-12-57-17-08.png

rating_agenda.png
rating_agenda.png
rating_agenda.png
rating_agenda.png
rating_agenda.png
rating_agenda.png
informative.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-09-12-04-05-39.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-09-12-06-09-73.png

Chests are less depressed this time around
ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-07-11-26-02-56.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-07-11-27-12-93.png

sweatonmybrow.png

Full of snark and dumb puns
Untitled.png

Still eventually.
Untitled.png

You can just imagine the dude hitting the keyboard with his head
ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-09-20-42-16-46.png
These are great
ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-09-11-28-59-72.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-08-22-06-15-81.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-09-23-39-14-02.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-14-11-35-36.png

Oh look, characters that maybe my grandchildren will get to know
ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-15-05-18-94.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-15-03-49-85.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-16-27-51-85.png
A man after my own heart
ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-13-06-35-07.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-09-11-52-19-63.png

Gilbert
He's used as comic relief but this man who basically committed arson and property fraud ended up playing on the same field as martial masters, mercenaries, ninja spec op assassins the kind of people who punch tanks, all because he didn't want to go to prison so he joins the armed branch of the illuminati and still ends up as a captain of some sort.
ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-13-58-55-07.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-16-02-54-64.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-16-02-59-23.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-16-11-09-52.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-16-11-20-40.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-16-15-22-42.png

ed6-win3-DX9-2018-10-10-16-16-59-17.png

Oh and Renne
:negative:

Dodo1610

Arcane
So the soundtrack has been improved too?
I already loved both Cold Steel OSTs. They had so much energy that I never cared about the grinding and the OST added a lot to the tone and atmosphere.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Most of you probably don't care if you wish to wait for the official localization to come out in the future, but

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/a1c67d/sen_no_kiseki_4_spreadsheet_85_complete_post_on/ :bounce:

I just ordered Sen 4 so it will probably arrive around the same time.

So the soundtrack has been improved too?
I already loved both Cold Steel OSTs. They had so much energy that I never cared about the grinding and the OST added a lot to the tone and atmosphere.

I wouldn't really say 'improved' since all the games have excellent soundtracks but Sen 3 OST is just as good as the previous ones.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Cold Steel 3 for PS4 in 2019 is confirmed I'll be back with the tweet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom