Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Ysaye

Arbiter
Ah well - the NISA translation of Ys 8 was not great but at least it wasn't Aksys with Tokyo Xanadu that looked like no one had done any proof reading or spelling checks (or at least their first go at it; I think there was a bit of a tidy-up between the original and the eX+ versions). And at least it sounds like we will get some English dubbing and hopefully all of the voice actors and actresses return. I wonder who they will get to play Arianrhod?

The Playstation 4 thing "only" is not a big thing - surely everyone knew that was going to happen from around 3 years ago (haven't you been saving)? So long as Sony don't start going censoring stuff we should all be fine.....

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, Hatsuu as freelancer for NIS is nice. Somewhat gives me a bit of confidence that they will not fuck this up as bad

Gearmos

Educated
The Playstation 4 thing "only" is not a big thing - surely everyone knew that was going to happen from around 3 years ago (haven't you been saving)? So long as Sony don't start going censoring stuff we should all be fine.....

During the last Shareholder's Meeting of Falcom, Kondo said that "they will continue to develop for the PS4 and license out the PC versions of releases to North American publishers". And he was talking about the Sen III license. So a PC port is is taken for granted. However, NISA does not want to repeat the Ys VIII port fiasco and they won't announce it until it's almost finished.

By the way, Cold Steel 1&2 were also "PSVita only" but were eventually ported to PS3, PC and PS4.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
As far as I know, you can't get all Master Quartz on a single play through since there is one point where you have to choose between two.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Going to start Cold Steel 1 next.

Is there a way to do a 100% in one walkthrough?
Don't believe so, as you can't get everyone's bond achievement in your initial run and you definitely can't 100% CS2 in one playthrough (there's NG+ specific chievos in that).

As long as you get Sara's bond chievo in your first playthroughs you're all good.

Deleted member 7219

It's still coming!

https://geofront.esterior.net/2019/01/28/trails-from-zero-to-eighty/

Hey there, prospective detectives! Zerker and the Geofront gang are here to provide you with another Trails from Zero update! It’s been a minute, but we have plenty to show off this time around!

Scenario update
As I’ve mentioned before, I’m still working my way through Crossbell City dialogue. I just finished up Ignis and Imelda Antique Shop, and am now working on Hotel Millennium! One reason this update took so long is because I would often get stuck re-editing lines from the very beginning, but now my plan is to focus on wrapping up the first pass before going back to fix up the older stuff. Now, I’ll hand the mic to Ribose to explain what all is being added!

Technical update
Hi, this is Ribose typing. This update should be more general and informative compared to the last one, which was the numerical breakdown of the text. We’ve implemented a lot of features to the Japanese PC release over the last two years! We will ensure that the Japanese PSP release still functions with a minimal scenario and non-scenario text patch. But the PC release definitely needed a lot of work to make it a quality version that people don’t have to hassle with to play.

https://geofront.esterior.net/2019/01/28/trails-from-zero-to-eighty/

TLDR version - they've implemented all the improvements XSEED made to TitS 1-3, translated the text in the opening movie, sorted out some technical issues from the original Japanese PC port.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I hope she's going to be okay. Brittany has occasionally talked about her health problems on the Falcom discord for a while :negative:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
No need to hoard it. It's primarily used for upgrading the store-bought weapons in each chapter so feel free to always upgrade, at least for your primary attackers. Pretty much every chapter has enemies that can be farmed for u-material if you ever run out.

You can also use u-material to create various special quartz in the pawn shop if you want to.

Deleted member 7219

No need to hoard it. It's primarily used for upgrading the store-bought weapons in each chapter so feel free to always upgrade, at least for your primary attackers. Pretty much every chapter has enemies that can be farmed for u-material if you ever run out.

You can also use u-material to create various special quartz in the pawn shop if you want to.

Agreed.

I found it was a little more hard to get in TOCS 2. Best save it for Valimar and for weapons in Final Dungeon - but feel free to upgrade the weapons for your favourite characters throughout the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 7219

I must admit Legend of Heroes became one of my all-time favorite game series.

I haven’t found another game series with the quality of story telling, lore and characters as the Trails series.

And I’ve only played five of the games with four released I haven’t played yet (Crossbell and Cold Steel second arc), with probably another two arcs at least to follow. It’s crazy.

One thing is clear to me, it would be impossible for something of this scale to be made in the west. If you think about it only one developer has tried to make series of games with the same characters, continuing stories etc within the last 10 years and it’s BioWare with Dragon Age and Mass Effect. And those series declined quickly after their first games.

I can only think of The Witcher as something near the western equivalent of Trails but the combat and levelling systems are much worse.

Meanwhile Trails stays on the incline with no sign of stopping.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven’t found another game series with the quality of story telling, lore and characters as the Trails series.
pretty much. individually, there are lots of games with better story and writing, like planescape. as a whole, cohesive series, nothing beat the worldbuilding of trails for me. the scope, the details, the characters. it's just beg you to adore them and i already do the moment FC credits scrolled.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Trails had me hooked the moment Olivier came onto the screen.

Maybe I am a bit mad but there was always something about the character of Olivier that yelled for me Soren Kierkegaard. Perhaps the ramblings about love reminds me of Kierkegaard's own pseudo character Johannes the Seducer and the aesthete author of Either/Or, or maybe the fact that both Olivier and Kierkegaard have these various layers but really deep down they are not claiming to be authorities on matters, but rather appealling to their friends (and enemies) to have authenticity of their own choice?

The fact Kierkegaard appears in Ys 8 as a doctor and existentialist + relativist nutcase (with stuff that he and the Sister Nia sounding straight out of Kierkegaard's De Silentio author of "Fear and Trembling") only further reaffirms to me that this is a "thing" for one of the writers at Falcom.

Deleted member 7219

Nice, I don’t want to hear any of it though. Bound to have Cold Steel 3 and 4 spoilers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom