Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
PS4 ToCS out on March 26th in NA.

Hnnngh, give us ToCS3 already instead of this shit. English and Japanese audio is surprising though, werent the nips super anal about not giving their glorious voice acting to filthy gaijins?

edit: oh right they added those to the steam versions as well. And I even posted about it here. I must be getting dementia.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

XSEED still have distribution rights to TOCS 1 and 2. They have absolutely no say in how soon we get TOCS 3. That’s with NISA.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why stick to the facts when you can bitch about something.

Anyways here's the official Xseed announcement as well:
http://www.xseedgames.com/2019/02/2...eel-coming-to-playstation4-system-on-march-26

Otherwise the limited edition doesn't seem very interesting, but I was wondering what this comic thing is. Seems there's a sample on the Xseed twitter from a few weeks back.
  • Bonus: 10pg exclusive ‘Alisa Reinford’s Cold Steel Crash Course!’ comics included within the physical 52pg manual

If it only was Olivier Sara instead of Alisa.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Not really a surprise...from watching the bond scenes on Youtube, it was pretty obvious who Falcom intended to be the "canon" romance. Prior to going full harem later on in the series, that is.

If that isn't enough evidence:

Ut8cJTp.png

6CKABla.jpg

GAbkjhT.png

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, it's pretty obvious she's the canon waifu and especially in CS1. Although in CS2 they toned it down a bit (while still hinting at it like in a scene where Rean and Alisa in valimar together in a link event) and made the other waifu interactions more "balanced" in comparison to hers.

Laura would've been a better choice for canon waifu due to the swordsman and noble commonality imo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Laura would've been a better choice for canon waifu due to swordsman and noble commonality imo.

Well she seems agreeable enough. Except for:

e8b4jvu.jpg

Even by Trails standards that sword struck me as goofy.

I always figured the world of Trails has weaker gravity - hence why Laura can carry that sword, Agate can carry his, and other characters can carry weapons almost as big in only one hand. As well as making impossibly high jumps, and falls, without breaking their legs.

Endemic

Arcane
I always figured the world of Trails has weaker gravity - hence why Laura can carry that sword, Agate can carry his, and other characters can carry weapons almost as big in only one hand. As well as making impossibly high jumps, and falls, without breaking their legs.

It isn't a realism thing (after all, there's Orbal and general gameplay mechanics at work). Maybe there's some story significance to the sword I was missing, but it seemed lolrandom to me. I guess they were channeling Tsubasa Kazanari when they decided on Laura's design.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished Cold Steel 1. Turbo mode saved me ~15 hrs judging by game's internal timer vs Steam's.

I really admire the work of scriptwriters in terms of characters and plot presenting, the dialogs could be cut though, there is a lot of text without any value for story or character exposition.

Deleted member 7219

Finished Cold Steel 1. Turbo mode saved me ~15 hrs judging by game's internal timer vs Steam's.

I really admire the work of scriptwriters in terms of characters and plot presenting, the dialogs could be cut though, there is a lot of text without any value for story or character exposition.

I really would not recommend turbo mode on the first playthrough. You lose so much atmosphere from using it. You criticise the amount of dialogue but I disagree, the dialogue serves the purpose of world building and giving this series a unique character compared to other RPGs. In other RPGs an NPC will always give the same dialogue throughout. In Trails, their dialogue changes every time the plot progresses.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Disagree on turbo mode. When you autistically talk to everyone every time like me, cuttinv walking distance with turbo mode helps alot.

Agree on dialogue tho i love trails npc

Momock

Augur

I really would not recommend turbo mode on the first playthrough. You lose so much atmosphere from using it. You criticise the amount of dialogue but I disagree, the dialogue serves the purpose of world building and giving this series a unique character compared to other RPGs. In other RPGs an NPC will always give the same dialogue throughout. In Trails, their dialogue changes every time the plot progresses.
This isn't the point he was critisizing I think. This part in particular is what makes the series so good.The problem is how reiterative the dialog is at times, or how many words are used to give an information or instruction. It usually happens during cutscenes when a lot of characters are involved and it's kinda painful at times.

Turbo mode is not bad for atmosphere since it doesn't affect music (it's not like pressing fastforward on a videotape), and a diligent use of it to cut long distances is fine. It can save you from quitting the game during the plains chapter too.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron

This isn't the point he was critisizing I think. This part in particular is what makes the series so good.The problem is how reiterative the dialog is at times, or how many words are used to give an information or instruction. It usually happens during cutscenes when a lot of characters are involved and it's kinda painful at times.
This. Stuff like every terrorist saying "I can't believe we've lost to a bunch of kids" or Class VII students reacting with generic "Yes!", "Right!" or "I'm with you!" when Rean says something encouraging doesn't add anything to the worldbuilding or characters.

Jinn

Arcane
So I've been trying to finish SC on Hard for the past year or so. I stopped playing around Chapter 8 for a number of reason. What in the fuck were they thinking with this chapter? Taking all that glorious momentum that was slowly building (and at a fine pace) throughout the whole game, then dumping you into a chapter right before the finale where you walk around places you've been at least two (if not three or four) times before doing a main quest in every region. WHY? I get it, it's kind of a way to say goodbye to each region, but you've essentially been doing that throughout the entirety of SC already. Really bothers me, particularly because there are some absolutely INSANE difficulty spikes on Hard in this chapter, particularly in the Bracer sidequests that you are basically forced into doing to keep abreast with the level curve. I played through all of FC and up to this point in SC on Hard and loved it, despite there being a few annoying fights that slowed down my progress. But things like Armored Hydra and the Doom archaisms are just fucking ridiculous anti-fun garbage encounters. Makes me wonder if they even tested this portion on Hard difficulty thoroughly before release. I just keep picking it up after a few months in hopes that a fresh perspective will give me the patience to wade through Chapter 8, but then end up only playing for an hour (or sometimes less) before I put down my controller in disgust. I come posting now straight from one such horribly disappointing session.

So anyway, rant aside, my biggest frustration is that this shit is keeping me from continuing with this series that I overall love. I wish there was a way to just switch back to normal difficulty, so I could finish the game without banging my head against the wall. I've looked for ways to alter my save files, and have only found hex editor solutions for FC and 3rd.

And the other major point of this post: if this stuff has slowed down my playthough to this degree, will I enjoy Hard difficulty in the Cold Steel series? Again, I love the challenge and way it urges you to use each turn to its fullest, but bullshit bloat and insane one-shots on my level 78 party is not what I consider a fair challenge. Just poor design. Also, if anyone knows how I can alter my save file to switch it to Normal difficulty, let me know, because it would save the end of this game for me. Sad thing is that these last few chapters have really soured my experience with SC, which was a very enjoyable experience for the most part. Now I want nothing more than to finish it, be done with it, and probably never play it again.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane

Hey, thanks! Found a way very similar to that. That one in particular is for FC, but I found that if you edit the very last line of code in the SC save in the only place it has a number, to one of those corresponding numbers, it works! For posterity, that is line 002B410 and there should only be one unit in that line with a number under the "0D" column. Fucking thank god, I can finally finish this game now.

Was also looking up some stuff on Cold Steel difficulty and it sounds like Nightmare in those games is even easier than the Hard in FC, SC, and 3rd? Can anyone here confirm that? Because I can deal with a little easier than the first trilogy's Hard, as that would be just about the sweet spot for me.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Was also looking up some stuff on Cold Steel difficulty and it sounds like Nightmare in those games is even easier than the Hard in FC, SC, and 3rd? Can anyone here confirm that? Because I can deal with a little easier than the first trilogy's Hard, as that would be just about the sweet spot for me.
In Cold Steel you can lower the difficulty of the fight after you lose to retry it.

Jinn

Arcane
In Cold Steel you can lower the difficulty of the fight after you lose to retry it.

A feature I would normally scoff at, but that would have been much appreciated in my playthrough of SC.

Alright guys, the end of Chapter 8 redeemed it for me, but still, goddamn. Now I just have the mega dungeon that awaits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom