Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Crooked Bee, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Tags: Nihon Falcom; The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky; XSEED

In the Codex's 2014 RPG of the Year voting, felipepepe rigged the vote so that the PC JRPG The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky took the seventh place alongside the many other strong titles released that year. It took a long time for XSEED to translate its even more text-heavy sequel, Trails in the Sky - Second Chapter, but after a long period of testing and QA it was finally released yesterday on Steam as well as on GOG.

Picking up shortly after The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Estelle travels across Liberl in search of Joshua. The journey involves more than seeking loved ones, however, as the Bracer Guild also tasks her with unraveling the mysteries behind the newly unveiled Society of Ouroboros.
    • Amazing Original Soundtrack — Another highly-acclaimed soundtrack from the renowned music department at development house Falcom, also the creators of the soundtracks for the Ys series, sets the mood for this moving tale.
    • Dynamic and Unique Strategic Combat System — A strategic turn-based combat system yields deep and involving character, weapon and magic-based attacks.
    • A Huge Adventure Awaits — A powerful and emotional tale spanning well over 50 hours of core gameplay, with numerous optional side quests.
    Aside from even more text, the sequel promises an expanded combat system, with new arts, crafts, attacks, and upgrades. I wrote up my impressions about the first game in the dedicated thread in the forums, so if you're interested, check it out. It is pretty much a classic JRPG, though, if a good one, so it all depends on whether or not it's your kind of thing. You can also read these two blog posts (1., 2.) to see what kind of issues the localization team encountered on their way to bringing this mammoth project to completion.

Grab the game on Steam or on GOG. The game is also out on PS Vita, so if you want to play it on that platform, you can pick it up on PSN.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    What the fuck is this shit.

:decline:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Rupuka Novice

Rupuka
    A little ironic, considering Xseed fucked the regional pricing for Brazil and "The guy in charge is on vacation this week"

^ Top  
  4. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Why does this news sound like an ad?

If you're that desperate to land a job in some PR department, why don't you try to cash in on that shilling our resident jewspaper journalist has so fastidiously engaged in? I'm sure the Codex is owed some favours by now.

Edit: Infinitron No hard feelings bro, I'm just calling it like I see it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Doesn't the indentation of that section imply a direct extract from their press release, with her more measured thoughts in the final paragraph? At least, that's how I always interpret news posts.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Still reads like an ad. But you're right, I'm really just a bit bored atm.

^ Top  
  7. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    A turn-based jRPG? Holy shit, what will they think of next? :M

^ Top  
  8. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Part II is going to end on a cliffhander again is it :baka:

But hey,

NO JOSHUA :happytrollboy:

Adventure Girls Power!

I want party from Estelle, Klose, Tita and that one who looks like a character from Oh My Goddess!, Scherazarhazamham something... silver hair foxy bdsm whip womyn.
    Perfect party.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Shammy Learned

Shammy
    That excerpt is straight from the GoG page.

^ Top  
  10. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    First one is on sale too.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Turok Erudite

Turok
    The first one is really good, is the only jrpg i ever finish.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. UnknownBro Savant

UnknownBro
    火でそれを殺します!!!

:outrage::outrage::outrage:

^ Top  
  13. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Would you recommend it to someone who tends not to enjoy JRPGs? What were the elements that you liked in the first one, and why did you like them?

^ Top  
  14. Durante Learned Patron

Durante
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This one actually has meaningful positioning in battles, which is pretty unusual for the genre.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Black Arcane

Black
    Hehe, TITS.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    meaningful my ass

j(s)rpgs with meaningful positioning: growlanser, devil survivor, Jeanne D'Arc (pretty much ever jsrpg ever).

Not meaningfull positioning: 1 to 5 enemies every battle in a different (small) screen without any speed modifiers or elevation and using a AI which just rush nearest or ranged attacks anyone (since the range covers the whole battle screen) -> this is LoH.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    About as meaningful as in Gold Box games or Crusaders of Khazan, though :M

(Which means it's pretty rudimentary. If you're looking for meaningful positioning, do take a look at some SRPGs as SCO suggests.)

Whoever's looking for more impressions, do check out the posts in the thread I linked to in the OP.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Turndafucup

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)