Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
BotW doesn't have a single fucking labyrinth

YjU0MGM2N2YwYSMvY0xmU2c3RFo5Rkp5aGlPaVowUmlqM0k0UG9zPS8yMDF4Nzg6MTIzOXg4MjEvZml0LWluLzc2MHgwL2ZpbHRlcnM6cXVhbGl0eSg3MCk6bm9fdXBzY2FsZSgpOmZvcm1hdChqcGVnKS9odHRwOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzLzdsYTFmamx6Y2licXMxc3RoY3hpajQyZTdud3ByeXFvbnV5MnNvbDQ3cWJvbDZlZGs5a2FsdzB6eTNkNGc2YWQuanBn.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

or really even a single sub boss.

Blue-maned-lynel.jpg

Hinox_Breath_of_the_Wild.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

(This is the only Zelda game in history with bosses exclusively for the open world)

but you can spend dozens of hours doing stupid mundane shit that The Legend of Zelda didn't have, like hiking to one of the 120 different stupid shrines to solve a puzzle or by collecting >200 korok seeds. BotW is simply an open-world herpa derp collectathon and hiking simulator in the mold of Skyrim, where you spend 95% of the time walking/climbing/gliding around the overworld to do the same mundane shit over and over.

The first The legend of Zelda didn't have cities, sidequests, shrines or heroic quests, minigames, secrets or any meaningful side-content besides finding some heart containers. The philosophy of free exploration in an open world that the first Zelda has is what BOTW takes inspiration from. But the game isn't just that and adds new things by its own. Reducing everything the game offers in just walking and collecting korok seeds in an attempt to ridicule the game it's just retarded and to be untruthful. It's like saying that PS:T it's just cliking between dialog options.

The way BOTW handles exploration is drastically different from Skyrim (It is more in the vibes of Morrowind), so the comparisons with this game are quite nonsensical putting aside that both are open worlds.

sullynathan

Arcane
Not really sure what hack and slash titles have to do with an ARPG.
A "hack & slash" is an action game, just like gothic is an action rpg. part action part rpg, they are very comparable.

I wouldn't know, I haven't played Skyrim. Would be nice if Nintendo made 60fps games though.
They have a good amount of them and tend to make more 60fps games than Microsoft & Sony.

https://youtu.be/NDTNNjWbYoo
https://youtu.be/Vc6vshN8K3U
https://youtu.be/aDAkVPTn8cc
https://youtu.be/0DEGLO7dpxo

imweasel

BotW doesn't have a single fucking labyrinth or really even a single sub boss.

Yep Bigg Boss was rigth when he said you guys didn't even played the fucking game.
Please tell me what this is:

serveimage
You are comparing that single literal labyrinth to a typical Zelda dungeon ("labyrinth"), because you are either a braindead retard or haven't played any Zelda game other than BotW. No wait, both are probably true.

imweasel

Referring to the Zelda dungeons as "labyrinths".
Dungeons in Zelda are called "labyrinths" and it has been like that since the first Zelda game, although they technically aren't labyrinths. Every Zelda fan knows that. The only exception to the rule is the literal labyrinth in BotW.

Ask the Japs responsible for the series why that is. I suppose it started off as a translation error back in the 80s and then just stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Dungeons in Zelda are called "labyrinths" and it has been like that since the first Zelda game,

No they are not. And they never were. They were called temples at best.

Still even by proper dungeons BotW has the 4 divine beasts, Hyrule Castle, the Trial of the Sword and the Final Trial.

And I've played other Zelda games besides BotW. You on the other hand, clearly haven't played this game enough to know what the fuck you're talking about.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The Legend of Zelda ... leaps and bounds better than Zelda-Skyrim IMO.

You know what makes your post retarded?
It's the fact BotW is pretty much a conversion of the first Zelda to 3D.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Wut? You can't be serious.

BotW doesn't have a single fucking labyrinth or really even a single sub boss. Hyrule castle only fits that description in a very distant sense.... but you can spend dozens of hours doing stupid mundane shit that The Legend of Zelda didn't have, like hiking to one of the 120 different stupid shrines to solve a puzzle or by collecting >200 korok seeds. :lol:

BotW is simply an open-world herpa derp collectathon and hiking simulator in the mold of Skyrim, where you spend 95% of the time walking/climbing/gliding around the overworld to do the same mundane shit over and over.

It has plenty of labyrinth's they just don't say TEMPLE OF SHADOWY DEATH DUNGEON when you go into them. There is one giant fucking maze straight outta Adventures of Link but you are too much of a fag to acknowledge it.

imweasel

Dungeons in Zelda are called "labyrinths" and it has been like that since the first Zelda game,

No they are not. And they never were. They were called temples at best.
Even fan sites call the dungeons labyrinths, because it is nomenclature commonly used by fans of the series and it has been like that since the 80s. No need to throw a hissy fit, you butthurt imbecile.

STAcbfz.jpg

https://zeldauniverse.net/guides/the-legend-of-zelda/walkthrough/level-1-eagle/

Still even by proper dungeons BotW has the 4 divine beasts
Proper Zelda dungeons? LOL. Every Zelda fan with half a brain knows that is not true.

Here’s Why Traditional Dungeons Got Axed in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Because they didn't want to do 8 because they ran out of time, so they did 4 while adding 120 on top of it. Which is really a more symbolically powerful number for the series, but what do I know I am retarded dumb fuck that doesn't know shit about the series, cause Skyrim.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Even fan sites call the dungeons labyrinths,

:hmmm:

uE7TzxQ.png

Nice cherry picking. 1 dungeon that is called labyrinth. Why don't you show the rest of the dungeons names.

ou4hng5.png

https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Category:Dungeons

Maybe you'll find 1 or 2 dungeons named Labyrinth and proceed to tell how retarded I am, because some are called Labyrinth.

Still even by proper dungeons BotW has the 4 divine beasts
Proper Zelda dungeons? LOL. Every Zelda fan with half a brain knows that is not true.

Nice No true Scotsman fallacy there. Also you ignored the other 3 dungeons I posted really?
But still, I'll indulge you.
What is the definition of a traditional Zelda dungeon?
It's a location with a somewhat labyrinthine design; filled with traps, enemies and treasures; a dedicated map to said location; a boss at the end; and finally a puzzle (or puzzles) to solve. Usually those puzzles have a theme that governs them, and usually a certain item or ability is need to complete them. These locations also serve to move the plot of the game.
Hmm... you know that definition seems to describe the 4 divine beasts perfectly.

No need to throw a hissy fit, you butthurt imbecile.

I agree, you really shouldn't. It makes you look bad. :smug:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
best thing about BotW is how it kicked the emulation scene into high gear recently

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I don't get where that fanpedia did get the names from. The original map that did come with the game reffers to the dungeons just as levels.

451a26009459905a9c6f8fd0474cde3c.jpg

Dungeons in Zelda games tend to have different names, varying from temples (Fire temple, Shadow temple) to original names (Inside deku tree, Dodongo's cavern, Stone tower temple). But labyrinths? Maybe I did read somewhere that name reffering to the classic warp zones (Like Lost woods in many games). But not for dungeons. I only did yesterday on that fanpage.

best thing about BotW is how it kicked the emulation scene into high gear recently

Nah I'm not sure about that. CEMU has became "BOTW emulator" mainly, and the rest of plattaforms emulation is just suffering a lot. Maybe the PS3 emulator achieved something, with Demon's souls being fully playable.

Delterius

Arcane
when i went to the actual literal labyrinth in the game i used magnesis to move a sheet of metal and trap the golem thingy against the wall

it was nice and funny

Jason Liang

Arcane
Parapa Palace
Midoro Palace
Island Palace
Maze Island Palace
Ocean Palace
Three Eye Rock Palace
Great Palace

Tigranes

Arcane
Woe betide me, because BOTW is for some reason the first Zelda I am playing, and I decide to post here

For some reason Zelda never clicked with me, I remember giving OoT a few hours and not really feeling it. BOTW obviously doesn't tick any of the traditional Codex indicators of RPG quality, but then I'm not really treating it as that, I'm treating it as its own thing (action adventure whatever) and it's very enjoyable. And I obviously am clueless as to how it compares with other Zeldas.

Is it more fun than Skyrim? By a mile. It has a far better sense of art direction and style, and one that ages far better than Skyrim's pseudo-realism, which is killed off by the Witcher series conclusively. With BOTW there is far more creativity, and the delight of walking past a giant set of bones in a clearing, then later discovering it's an undead Talus thing (sic), blows past anything you'll ever get from Skyrim exploration. The scattered 'goblin' camps and horseriding is pretty humdrum, but finding the little hidden nooks and crannies and tricks - those korok challenges, or specially hidden shrines, really give exploration a superior rhythm as well. Combat is nothing innovative or spectacular, but has a nice concrete feel to it, a set of clearly defined tools to use, and feels far better. The only thing Skyrim has that BOTW doesn't is a wealth of pointless subsystems that create time-consuming makework. And a retarded inventory UI.

I think with open world games in particular, it's never a single feature making or breaking the game on its own, it's always how it all works together to create the gameplay loop. Koroks, gliding, horses, etc. are all pretty simple and even stupid if you dissect them on their own. But the loop of entering a new map area, seeing the tower rising high into the sky and aiming for it to map the place out, spotting the shrines with your camera from a vantage point, being sidetracked by the little koroks as you wander about, etc. - it's a fantastic and charming loop.

I just wish you had more clever 'puzzle' environments, more axing down trees to build bridges, etc.

edit: I have no idea whether BOTW is a radical departure for the series or not. All I remember from trying OoT hey, listen! I'm not sure that it's the open world aspect that' simportant for me - I usually dislike it in other games like TW3, and I feel like I would enjoy BOTW equally (or even more) without it being fully open.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Woe betide me, because BOTW is for some reason the first Zelda I am playing, and I decide to post here

For some reason Zelda never clicked with me, I remember giving OoT a few hours and not really feeling it. BOTW obviously doesn't tick any of the traditional Codex indicators of RPG quality, but then I'm not really treating it as that, I'm treating it as its own thing (action adventure whatever) and it's very enjoyable. And I obviously am clueless as to how it compares with other Zeldas.

Is it more fun than Skyrim? By a mile. It has a far better sense of art direction and style, and one that ages far better than Skyrim's pseudo-realism, which is killed off by the Witcher series conclusively. With BOTW there is far more creativity, and the delight of walking past a giant set of bones in a clearing, then later discovering it's an undead Talus thing (sic), blows past anything you'll ever get from Skyrim exploration. The scattered 'goblin' camps and horseriding is pretty humdrum, but finding the little hidden nooks and crannies and tricks - those korok challenges, or specially hidden shrines, really give exploration a superior rhythm as well. Combat is nothing innovative or spectacular, but has a nice concrete feel to it, a set of clearly defined tools to use, and feels far better. The only thing Skyrim has that BOTW doesn't is a wealth of pointless subsystems that create time-consuming makework. And a retarded inventory UI.

I think with open world games in particular, it's never a single feature making or breaking the game on its own, it's always how it all works together to create the gameplay loop. Koroks, gliding, horses, etc. are all pretty simple and even stupid if you dissect them on their own. But the loop of entering a new map area, seeing the tower rising high into the sky and aiming for it to map the place out, spotting the shrines with your camera from a vantage point, being sidetracked by the little koroks as you wander about, etc. - it's a fantastic and charming loop.

I just wish you had more clever 'puzzle' environments, more axing down trees to build bridges, etc.

edit: I have no idea whether BOTW is a radical departure for the series or not. All I remember from trying OoT hey, listen! I'm not sure that it's the open world aspect that' simportant for me - I usually dislike it in other games like TW3, and I feel like I would enjoy BOTW equally (or even more) without it being fully open.
This game is indeed considerably superior to skyrim, and incredibly well optimized for such a tiny console . The use of physics in this game is something never seen before and never in any other zelda before.Yes it's a real departure, i've played most of them before and this game is really it's own thing, completely different than previous one while keeping some sort of spirit, Puzzles and temples. It's worth the purchase of the console alone.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm usually not a big puzzle guy, and that's probably part of what kept me off Zelda (rightly or wrongly), but in BOTW it's mixed in with other things that I can enjoy it bits at a time. Most of the shrines are over quickly enough and not too difficult for a puzzle-loser like me, while some of the tricks in the overworld are even more fun because of the context.

Just did Eventide Island [sic] and that was fun in a Robinson Crusoe way. I explored roughly the western half of the map first, only tackling one divine beast. Who knows if that's a wacky order but it's fine. The game is bloody huge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom