Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The List of Incline - 2017 Edition

Which of these games are you looking forward to? (multiple responses allowed)

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
knights of the fucking chalice 2

rest of list is whatevs.

edit: oh, battleTech as well. shadowrun guys hit this shit out of the park with Dragonfall, they have my attention.

new Dragon Quest as well.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Second poll I've seen today with no KC option.

1dr4.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Games to add to the poll next year:

Druidstone
Odd Gods
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
Realms Beyond

buffalo bill

Arcane
Caves of Qud has a roadmap to release shooting for 2018. Here's a link: http://www.cavesofqud.com/roadmap/
From that link:
The Caves of Qud release roadmap plots the path from our Early Access launch in July 2015 to our full release in 2018. As we finish each feature arc, we move it from the Coming Feature Arcs list to the Completed Feature Arcs one. Arc descriptions may change as we refine each feature.
The game is already great, it should be on next year's poll.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm pretty surprised to see that half the Codex is looking forward to Deadfire. Man is not a learning animal, etc.

Fairfax

Arcane
I'm pretty surprised to see that half the Codex is looking forward to Deadfire. Man is not a learning animal, etc.
PoE brought a lot of users with less codexian tastes. If you look at the Deadfire thread, most users registered in 2015 or later. The majority of the 2017 batch is particularly awful.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Caves of Qud has a roadmap to release shooting for 2018. Here's a link: http://www.cavesofqud.com/roadmap/
From that link:
The Caves of Qud release roadmap plots the path from our Early Access launch in July 2015 to our full release in 2018. As we finish each feature arc, we move it from the Coming Feature Arcs list to the Completed Feature Arcs one. Arc descriptions may change as we refine each feature.

This looks like fun. Can talk about your experience with the gameplay?

buffalo bill

Arcane
From that link:

This looks like fun. Can talk about your experience with the gameplay?
My short review of the early access game as it was over a year ago is on page three of the dedicated CoQ thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-qud-roguelike-deserves-our-love.54165/page-3
The game is very much in the traditional roguelike tradition (lots of procedurally generated content, permadeath, originally ASCII art that is now rather attractive tiles, turn-based), but there are handcrafted elements that elevate the game. Writing really is on par with, or perhaps better than, the best RPGs in my experience, and the world is in a highly original Gammaworld-like setting.
Gameplaywise, it's more like ADOM than some other roguelikes I've played (e.g. CDDA, Infra Arcana, Nethack, DoomRL), but there aren't really class constraints on character development. In the beginning you choose between being a mutant and a True Kin (unmutated human), which is the biggest choice in terms of permanently gating off later character development options (though the number of possible ways to develop a character are enormous). True Kin have access to cybernetic implants and start with higher stats, and mutants have physical and mental mutations. AI and abilities for various enemies is different, and requires thinking about the particular encounter you're in and the environment for that encounter. Lots and lots and lots of options in combat, even with rather specific builds. Suppose you are a high-intelligence and high-strength cudgel user encountering some higher-level enemies: should you use a grenade, and if so which type? Or sprint to relative safety of a corridor? Use the charge skill to daze the highest threat target, then knock them unconscious? Use slam skill to knock an opponent through a wall into a formerly inaccessible room? Use a consumable? Start combat with a ranged attack? Throw down a slippery liquid, or pour out some acid or lava on the ground or on one of them? Really very many options, which makes the game consistently fun and replayable. This isn't even considering more diverse mutant builds.
Right now the game needs more quests, towns, NPCs, C&C and dialogue. It already has more of that than most roguelikes, but I think the dev goal is to make this game feel like a blend of a more standard RPG and a traditional roguelike.

Rev

Arcane
Codexers are so passionate about PoE that basically every thread turns into one about it. Who could have guessed that its sequel would've been one of the most anticipated games over here... :M

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codexers are so passionate about PoE that basically every thread turns into one about it. Who could have guessed that its sequel would've been one of the most anticipated games over here... :M

Pillars isn’t a bad game, at least not after the expansions and many updates made combat much, much better. But it’s not great and after the Kickstarter great is what people were hoping for. If they hadn’t hyped it as the spiritual successor to the infinity engine games, I’m pretty sure it would’ve gotten a warmer reception here. The same goes for Numanera—there would be less hostility (not saying people here would like it, but they might not hate it with the fire of a thousand suns) if it hadn’t been pitched so aggressively as the second coming of PS:T.

Pillars 2 seems to have fixed many of the problems of the original when it was released, and after the first one expectations are lower so it will be easier for people to be pleasantly surprised. I doubt everyone will love it, but it probably won’t inspire quite as much hatred as the first one.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Pillars isn’t a bad game, at least not after the expansions and many updates made combat much, much better. But it’s not great and after the Kickstarter great is what people were hoping for

What has been the overarching problems with PoE?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What has been the overarching problems with PoE?
People can chatter all they want about systems minutiae and such, but ultimately it's the writing.

Yeah, it’s just kind of bland. I bet it plays well in the Midwest, though—that’s Sawyer country. I tell myself he was trying deliberately to make something really generic and he succeeded far beyond his wildest dreams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom