Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The List of Incline (Now with a poll)

Which of these games are you looking forward to? (multiple responses allowed)

• Total voters

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
What's wrong with Grim Dawn?

burrwitchprison01.jpg

2011-07-27_newinventory01_lrg.jpg

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm looking forward to Grim Dawn, but it's still just a Diablo clone. I'd be hard pressed to call any Diablo clone a CRPG.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why hasn't anyone done a Diablo clone with actual quests, story and NPC interaction? Like, a real RPG with Diablo-like combat mechanics. I bet it'd sell like hotcakes.

And no Inquisitor does not count because its combat was atrocious. I don't think I've played an RPG with more tedious combat than this, even with cheated-up stats just to reduce frustration. The non-combat parts of the game were pretty cool though and I liked the setting, I wonder if the devs are working on something else now?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Oh, right. I really liked it back when it came out, but I never made the connection to Diablo back then, which is why I never see it as a Diablo-like with good non-combat gameplay added. :P

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Grimrock devs said:
Turn based combat works really well from a topdown perspective where you can see all the units and can think about the best tactics. In first person view where you can only see in one direction, turn-based combat takes away tactical movement and reduces combat to a locked in place affair.

Okay, so 1st-person TB does not have as many tactics as 3rd-person TB. So let's do real-time 1st-person, where tactics are nothing more than a franctic mambo dance. Great choice! These Grimrock developers sound like they never played Wizardry.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I can kind of see where the Grimrock people want to focus more on the movement, and thus continued on with the same Dungeon Master idea of which it is based on.

There is possibly that sci-fi game (basically a sci-fi Grimrock)where one of the devs posted here that we talked them into doing turn-based so that may be some incoming incline.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He also posted that if they raise enough money they will scrap everything and make it isometric RTwP, so who the fuck knows.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
He changed his mind a bit later when he was told several times that no one will pledge for a game then hope it doesn't do too well so that the game stays the same. A bit logically challenged, that fellow was. But he did come around.

EDIT - It's here.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The power of the codex changed the nature of Underrail, WE CAN DO IT AGAIN!

How did that happen? I only vaguely remember the early days of Underrail when it was still called Timelapse Vertigo and the only things we saw of it were interface mockups. How did the Codex change Timeplapse Vertigo into Underrail?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The power of the codex changed the nature of Underrail, WE CAN DO IT AGAIN!

How did that happen? I only vaguely remember the early days of Underrail when it was still called Timelapse Vertigo and the only things we saw of it were interface mockups. How did the Codex change Timeplapse Vertigo into Underrail?

TL;DR version we bitched and bitched for him to go from RTwP to GLORIOUS TURN BASED. We did keep encouraging him on his game (because lets face it, it looks fucking SWEET) but the rage over RTwP we never stopped throwing at him.

AND THEN HE SAW THE LIGHT!

<3 Bless you Styg. Bless you. <3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom