Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Long Journey Home, a Star Control 2-like from Daedalic Entertainment

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by vonAchdorf, Aug 5, 2015.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Click here and disable ads!
    Oh, deja vu. I hope at least its Steam score will not be dismal as Blackguards.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Jimmious Arcane

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    On the one hand, I do get more interested since everyone seems to not be able to handle a game being punishing for a change.
    On the other though, it really sucks that they all kind of "bash" it with their review scores because of that..

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. LizardWizard Savant

LizardWizard
    Parrots:
    Um

:whatho:

^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
  8. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    I hope this is a bigger success than BG2 and they get rewarded for trying new things (either themselves in this case or publishing Shadow Tactics).

^ Top  
  9. Startropy Startropy Games Developer

Startropy
    Parrots:
    This introduction reminds me of old PC gaming articles, only this would be the opening paragraph to a game they would go on to sing praises about. :lol:

^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    It seems that RPS, PC Gamer and Eurogamer have elected not to review this game. Could that to be due to conflict-of-interest because Richard Cobbett writes for them? If so, that's a problem. They're like the three most important sites for this sort of game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Perhaps they return lander stats to originals once reviewers are done with the game.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So how similar to kerbal are the spaceship controls?

Cause I get very interested in any game that has realistic orbital mechanics.

^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Tutorial videos:

^ Top  
  14. Zanzoken Erudite

Zanzoken
    Parrots:
    I think if I was a dev I would nerf the hell out of my game's difficulty before sending it to the press. Like literally convert every difficulty mode to Easy in the review copy.

The truth is these fuckheads just will not spend the time to learn and improve at a challenging game. As soon as they hit failure a few times it's "game is too hard" then off to review the next AAA hand-holding shit.

^ Top  
  15. GuiltyofBeingTrite Learned

GuiltyofBeingTrite
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Despair x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Launch numbers on Steamcharts look really good, no?

EDIT: In response to Infinitron's WTF, the launch numbers are much better than Sunless Sea's, despite the the pricepoint being much higher.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Nah, I'm sure they cleared this before they hired him (in fact, I'm sure his stature in the indie game reviewing community is part of why they hired him, since that stature reflects the high regard folks have for his writing), and RPS has gone all out on promoting it: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/30/the-long-journey-home-review/

This is part of what's great about the indie scene -- critics and creators don't just talk past each other, they work together to advance the art (or, their vision of the art, anyway), whether it's developers supporting the Patreons of their most engaged reviewers or critics reviewing games they helped make. I can see why people would look askance at it, but ultimately the amount of money involved is so trivial that it's more about a tight community that puts all its resources (soapbox, money, talent) into promoting their goals. It's really not that different from the Codex doing a fundraiser for a game the Codex then reviews while developers of that game are active participants in the community, except that the Codex has such an anti-authoritarian/iconoclastic streak that it's more like a snake eating its own tail than one hand washing the other.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Pentagon Educated

Pentagon
    Parrots:
    I think avoiding conflict-of-interest is a very good reason to avoid reviewing a game. Here's what PCGamer gave as its explanation for why it didn't review Gunpoint:
    I think these are quality reasons to avoid reviewing a game even if that decision generates less publicity for the game.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Seems to be wrapping up a strong first day: 1390 simultaneous players on Steam charts, which compares favorably to the 814 launch number for Sunless Sea and is a 100-fold increase from Sea of Stars, the sequel to Weird Worlds, both of which launched in 2014 -- when the indie bonanza was still going on -- at much lower prices as spin-offs to established brands. It's not quite where Space Pirates and Zombies was in 2012 (1941), but it might edge up a bit over the weekend. At 72% on Steam (vs. 94% for SPAZ) and 66% on Metacritic (vs. 74% for SPAZ), it might not have the same legs, but SPAZ had glossier production values and more gameplay variety, while it seems like TLJH has perhaps more sophistication that isn't connecting as quickly with people. SPAZ just hit at the right time, and it was always going to be hard to match its achievements. For a niche title like this, I think Daedelic did really well, and hopefully well enough that they'll build on the title/franchise.

I guess now we'll have to see how the Stardock Star Control game comes out to see whether a heavier investment can yield a bigger market share.

EDIT: That sadness when Infinitron ironically rates your post for taking a positive view of things. :(

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Parrots:
    Especially if you're a reviewer who has such limited time to play that reading two short paragraphs on character selection feels like an unsurmountable roadblock. Just name it DICKS like a normal person.

By the way, I watched the video linked in the review (it's just the text spoken out loud) and this is the dialogue with the merchant alien. You actually get to see his thoughts (whispering?) explaining why he takes off quickly.

[​IMG]free upload pictures

^ Top  
  22. Harg Harfardarssen Cipher Patron

Harg Harfardarssen
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    It seems like the kind of game that would have a long tail, since it offers complexity and requires a good faith investment of time/attention. So if it succeeds at providing a crunchier FTL experience, then word of mouth will work well for it. Of course, the long tail might not be what DSW's business model requires, if they expected to sell well at $40.

Jeez Infinitron at least give him the ironic rainbow of fabulous optimism. "creative" is just a low blow.

^ Top  
  23. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Was wavering more the more I read from Cobbett on the Steam forums, but the disappointment from many players and the "get through the repetitive super hardcore tiresome parts to get to the fun parts" vibration I'm seeing in reviews has successfully cooled my D1P lust. Sticking to what I said above but will play it someday.

^ Top  
  24. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    It's an odd price point. That said, it should be $10 or so within a couple months, and perhaps patched up a bit by then.

EDIT: If Infinitron thinks my enthusiasm warranted a Creative rating, what would he do with this poor soul's positive review?

• Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. HoboForEternity Arcane

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    will wait for your review. i am on the fence about this. whether buy it day soon, wait for sale or something

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)