Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Lord Of The Rings Adventure Card Game (LOTR)

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ss_85c6f251c7d2ec1456ec13b8bf2fb46a47f8a1c7.1920x1080.jpg

ss_63fcf80f2df40f5a18245ff94d1451804d45cb55.1920x1080.jpg

Pick three heroes from some of the most emblematic characters of Middle-earth and build your deck around their specific abilities and powers. Each Hero has one of four spheres of influence, Leadership, Lore, Spirit, or Tactics, allowing you to play specific reinforcement cards while in-game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/509580/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_Adventure_Card_Game/

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I was planning to check this out at some point but from the reviews it seems they haven't implemented the LCG rules and instead made some kind of bastardized hearthstone micro-transaction shit heap.

Hard pass.

There was someone around here who absolutely loves it. Lemme dig up the thread, I remember reading it. I'd try it out in a steep sale but it feels a bit too pricey for my blood, if I wanted to drop cash like that I'd probably buy the paper Arkham Horror LCG.

Well shit, maybe it wasn't a thread. I see it was mastroego posting about it so maybe that's what I was thinking of. Could've sworn there was a thread about it but now I can't seem to find it.

mastroego

Arcane
Some mod moved my thread to the Gazebo.
Here it is.

The points I made back then are still valid all in all, I stand by them.
I'm waiting for the release of the next pack ATM.

ironmask

Arbiter
Does every big fucking fantasy series needs a fucking card game? Who is going to get a damn card game next?

mastroego

Arcane
How many other single player card games can you point out, on Steam or otherwise?
And nobody forces you to buy it, so thanks for your input but let me enjoy this one, which is actually good too.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
How many other single player card games can you point out, on Steam or otherwise?
And nobody forces you to buy it, so thanks for your input but let me enjoy this one, which is actually good too.

No, it is forbidden. You may not enjoy this game.

Ebonsword

Arcane
This was on sale for $10 at the Playstation store recently, so I picked it up since I really wanted to push my PS5 to its limits. :smug:

I'm finding the deck building pretty engaging--the amount of options available is truly staggering.

I'm also liking the play mechanics, as well. You're constantly presented with interesting choices like "Should I use my turn to take out this dangerous minion before he attacks or should I use my turn to heal this character that is getting close to death or should I use it to debuff all of the enemies so that they do less damage this round or should I bring another minion of my own into the battle, etc. etc.".

What I'm less taken with is the amount of grinding needed to unlock things. I completed one of the campaigns last night which took something like two hours. I received something like 2,000 award points. To unlock one new event card costs around 1,000 points, and there are dozens and dozens of them. It also costs 1,000 points just to unlock new art for *one* of your heroes. Unlocking a whole new hero costs a whopping 50,000 points. I would say this was done in order to convince you to use real-life money to unlock things more quickly, but I don't even think that's an option. It seems like you would get bored with the content long before you had even close to everything unlocked.

mastroego

Arcane
It's a great game that sadly appears to be have been discontinued.
I did my part but it wasn't enough....

Ebonsword

Arcane

So, what's strats do you use?

I basically use as many Allies with Guard and/or Block as I can, along with as many cheap Attachments that either boost attack or grant Block. I then try to get all of my heroes Block and boosted Attack as quickly as possible. I then use Allies to tank enemy attacks while my Heroes clear objectives or defeat key enemies. I rarely use Event cards because Sauron always seem to cancel them when I really need them to work.

Because of my approach, I mostly rely on Leadership heroes (Dis and Aragorn are both excellent and Dain is great if you build a deck around his passive). For my Tactics hero, I use Boromir a lot since he can both grant Block to a character *and* boost their attack.

I don't really like any of the Lore Heroes. None of them seems to have a good ability. But maybe I just don't know how to use them properly.

It also seems like the Hobbit heroes are all crap. Well, except for Frodo. His innate Stealth ability allows him to avoid damage and then he can pop out of Stealth at the end of a round to clear an objective before Sauron can react. He's extremely useful.

mastroego

Arcane

So, what's strats do you use?

I basically use as many Allies with Guard and/or Block as I can, along with as many cheap Attachments that either boost attack or grant Block. I then try to get all of my heroes Block and boosted Attack as quickly as possible. I then use Allies to tank enemy attacks while my Heroes clear objectives or defeat key enemies. I rarely use Event cards because Sauron always seem to cancel them when I really need them to work.

Because of my approach, I mostly rely on Leadership heroes (Dis and Aragorn are both excellent and Dain is great if you build a deck around his passive). For my Tactics hero, I use Boromir a lot since he can both grant Block to a character *and* boost their attack.

I don't really like any of the Lore Heroes. None of them seems to have a good ability. But maybe I just don't know how to use them properly.

It also seems like the Hobbit heroes are all crap. Well, except for Frodo. His innate Stealth ability allows him to avoid damage and then he can pop out of Stealth at the end of a round to clear an objective before Sauron can react. He's extremely useful.
Been a while since I played.
I eventually got skilled at keeping allies alive, to the point that the "standard" number of allies in my deck only created lots unused card in my end.
So I began to add events and low-cost attachments in additions to the big "bombs", running decks light in creatures.

My inclination is towards board presence anyway.
Trying to anticipate who's gonna be hit by the next attack, I try to adjust my tactics in such a way that the damage gets spread around while preserving the number of creatures on the table.
Then I proceed to slowly turn the tide around.
Healing powers are great for this. There's a elf ally (IIRC) that heals 1 damage to a character of your choice (even non hero) every time you kill a foe. That's actually great as it adds up.
Sometimes I even had two on the fields, you could have a pretty stable row of healthy characters with such a setup.
(I mean of course you'd cast one when you already have a bit of presence)
A new foe arrives and it's toast.

In general, it goes without saying, but especially at the start of the battle when you have only 3 heroes, you should beeline for the build-up of the board and/or using abilities, spells or weapons that give you more actions.
That's a major thing in this game. That brooch item, for instance, or the Courage spell.
Then a lot depends on the the specific constraints (and unlockable bonuses) of the quests. Sometimes a bonus is so good that it's preferable to beeline for that, even skipping the lower-tier ones, spending early actions to unlock it asap (for instance when it grants a strong ally, or a bonus to everyone's attack rating, stuff like that).

But I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of things.
I was pretty disappointed with this game not getting more content, I kinda stopped playing for that but I probably shouldn't have.
It's really fun and well designed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom