Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Mage's Tale - inXile VR game set in the Bard's Tale universe

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    ^ Top  
  2. Potato Canon Novice

Potato Canon
    As a Vive owner, I'm slightly irritated by Oculus exclusives, but they can usually run OK on the Vive with ReVive, and I believe the exclusivity period is only like six months. A positive thing you can say about Oculus and Sony is they invest in a lot of VR games, and HTC and Valve have seriously dropped the ball on that.

The footage of Mage's Tale looks OK but developers fall into a VR trap of basing game play around the novelty of the input devices, pointing and throwing things with controllers, and proper game design usually takes a back seat. I look forward to when VR games move past this period. So we'll see I guess.

It could actually be a minor hit for inXile. The VR market is very tiny, but on the other hand, there's so few complete polished titles that if it is halfway decent, almost everyone with an HMD will buy it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    All 10 000 people :lol::lol:

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • No x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. IncendiaryDevice Self-Ejected Village Idiot

Self-Ejected
    Wait until the game is released and see if its any good first now!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2sccBBHets&lc=z12vvzfghxq2fnprk04cj1caaxfjgxdz5us0k

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    lul, there's even need for different versions for different VR sets. Yeah, this shit is gonna go great.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. t Arcane Patron

t
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    https://uploadvr.com/mages-tale-review-oculus-rpg/

UploadVR tends to be very generous with their reviews though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    They're not using up money, they're getting more of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Zuckerberg is paying for it I think. End they're gonna reuse assets and shit for BT4. So it's fine actually.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Renevent Arbiter

Renevent
    Actually looks pretty fun, def would buy it...except it's an Oculus exclusive. I really hope Oculus sinks at some point they're fragmenting an already small market and that's shitty. Last I've heard Vive outsold them 2 to 1 so maybe that's a real possibility.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. buru5 Very Grumpy Dragon Patron

Self-Ejected
    VR is supposed to be the "ultimate immersive experience" right? Then why do most all first person VR games feature disconnected ghost hands? That's not fucking immersive.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Renevent Arbiter

Renevent
    I don't know if you've ever tried it but yeah, VR is pretty fucking immersive. I've had dozens of people try my Vive and there's yet to be a single person that didn't go "woah...holy shit" when they put on the goggles and looked down at their virtual hands.

BTW, not all games have ghost hands, a lot have fully shown arms/body. The problem with that is while the game will know where your hands are and can kinda guess what your arms should be doing it's not perfect. Depending how you are bending your elbows and the position of your shoulders in game it doesn't always translate to how your arms are actually positioned.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
  16. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt

:deadhorse:

^ Top  
  17. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    It actually looks....not shit.

:neveraskedforthis:

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. buru5 Very Grumpy Dragon Patron

Self-Ejected

I have and it's not. /thread

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Renevent Arbiter

Renevent
    You haven't, or you tried some knock off bullshit phone VR. Either that or maybe your cataracts are messing with your ability to immerse into it.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. buru5 Very Grumpy Dragon Patron

Self-Ejected
    "You don't like it you must be retarded"

:roll:

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Renevent Arbiter

Renevent
    I don't care you don't like it, but it's a very immersive experience. Nothing up to this point in the digital gaming world comes even close.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Being dipped in a vat of hydrochloric acid is also "a very immersive experience"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    This is not the 90s I was looking for. :(

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Fargo raping his own IPs.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Reapa Doom Preacher

Reapa
    you're only half right.
    it's the controls.
    suppose i had the money to buy a vr set and was brain dead. i'd buy it and maybe 1 game and then sell it as fast as i could on ebay even for half price cause of the controls.
    it should be obvious even to the dullest blades that the controls will break any immersion, defeating the purpose unless you're going for a no touch private strip show kinda game, in which case, may i suggest getting some real, touchable, fuckable hookers. they should be less expensive.
    not only that, but you'd probably have to bang the "wii controler" against the wall every few sword swings in a "skyrim-like game" out of sheer frustration over lack of physical feedback from your sword swings.
    plus, we're not wearing our lcds around our necks or as hats or hanging from our eyes. i'd be interested to hear from someone with a vr set how tiresome it becomes to wear it and how fast?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)