Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial The Making of Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by VentilatorOfDoom, May 12, 2010.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

<p>Have you ever wondered how Bioware built a better space opera? Probably not. <a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-making-of-mass-effect-2/a-2010051114473989090" target="_blank">Gamesradar ponders the issue though.</a></p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>&ldquo;The mining?&rdquo; asks BioWare dev Christina Norman, &ldquo;everyone hates the mining.&rdquo;</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Christina, don't know why? I suggest you mine 100 planets first - thoroughly - to get in touch with the issue.</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>The changes started with the combat system. Norman&rsquo;s team turned the RPG systems off completely and spent 81 calendar days tuning how combat would work in Mass Effect 2 using the original Mass Effect as a foundation. In the first outing, careful aiming was largely irrelevant &ndash; if your crosshair was over a character the game would do some RPG math and work out if you had scored a hit or not. For the sequel, combat was overhauled with some specific goals in mind &ndash; it had to be playable in real time without any need to pause, cover had to matter, and weapons had to be useful from the moment you picked them up without ever needing to level up.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>This is the new and modern RPG combat, mark my words.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97848-the-making-of-mass-effect-2.html">GB</a></p>

^ Top  
  2. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Oh boy where do I begin.

Does "everyone" include the Bioware staff? the testers? the developers? if so, why was it kept and made an important part of gameplay?

How I wish.

Self-contradicting statement. There was nothing "small" about such a fundamentally stupid decision that you have to do in such amounts.

In some ways? sure. Better writing, better voice acting, more interesting characters... I'll go with all these. Better gameplay? haha. Better combat system? you're a moron. Better inventory system? no, they just removed it. Better minigames? die in a fire.

Copy-pasting the gameplay from hugely successful shooter is now a gutsy decision? What the fuck happened to this industry?

Sure I do. I don't expect all the mediocre-but-possibly-promising features to be replaced with even worse variants, or to be removed outright and left with one massive gap.

You mean an all-out shooter with RPG elements? Take that fanboys who kept claiming that ME2 is an action-RPG.

Fixed. Which begs the question: why the fuck did it take them 81 days to produce a shitty ripoff of an already mediocre shooting system?

This is the key to understanding the RPG elements in ME2.

Are you reading this Volly?

Why do you lie? ME2 combat has nothing in common with ME1's, except the name of the games.

Of course, the first thing you think of when you read such a scenario is "we need to add ammo". That the big problem is, in fact, that your player is running down a corridor without even looking at what is happening and NOT BEING KILLED is inconceivable.

Of course, makes perfect sense. I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the biotic powers themselves being horribly overpowered.

Isn't Bioware's creativity awesome? They run across a problem, try to copy other people's solutions, and when that doesn't work they get rid of the problem by removing the feature entirely. All hail the future of video gaming.

What's more than a little weird is that now you’re Commander Shepard with the most advanced spaceship in the galaxy out to save the world but you have to go waste hours scanning planets for minerals. Haggling to get a rifle is weird, I agree. Scanning isn't weird, it's FUCKING STUPID.

Ah once again. Problem: Bioware sucks at designing items so they make no difference. Solution: design better items. What Bioware does: get rid of inventory. Makes perfect sense!

Awesome. So now ME2 is a hybrid of GoW gameplay with the ability of Halo fanboys to recreate their favorite weapon from that game. I can see your RPG right there.

IMMERSHUN! PLAYING THE ROLE OF SHEPARD!!!!111oneoneone
    If this had been written by some Bethtard or Biotard, I would've laughed. But a supposedly grown up man? It saddens me. Oh wait, how old is the kid again?

And this is the part where I get really, really pissed off at Bioware. They know exactly what they should be doing to make a good CRPG. That they ignore it all in favor of juvenile shooting, romances, a railroaded completely linear plot with zero choices is one thing. That they then take their streamlined piece of shit and claim with a straight face that it achieves all these RPG ideals deserves flaming them to a crisp. That millions of fanboys and the entirety of the gaming press swallows this like holy semen is ultimate proof that there is no hope for us because the majority of gamers are morons.

If by "impact" you mean "got an email saying thanks", then yeah sure, although I am certain the figure is closer to 70 than 700, but whatever.

RPG elements = snappy conversations and dynamic camera angles? Where the fuck do they get these "journalists"?

Funny. Hilarious. I'm laughing. Ha. Ha. Ha.

This shit again? Stop it Bioware. You want to make a linear railroaded shooter? fine. Do it, and I'll leave you alone, because I don't really care about linear railroaded shooters either way. But if you're going to present that linear railroaded shooter as something it is not (in this case, an RPG with real choices and nonlinear story determined by me the player) then I have only one thing to say: fuck off.

I can't wait for ME3. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing how they will fuck up the already so badly fucked up elements of ME2. And then get praised for reinventing the wheel. Again.

^ Top  
  3. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Bulltshit. ME2>ME1 in every way. Stop the lies, Sceptic.

^ Top  
  4. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I thought the streamlining was good for the series. Bioware is clearly incapable of making a proper cRPG nowadays (see Dragon Age), so abandoning all pretense of the game being an RPG and just focusing on the action gameplay was an improvement for me. It's arguable that they went too far in some places, but as a whole I had way more fun with ME2.

^ Top  
  5. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Wait, I don't understand. He complains about ME1 having hundreds of items, then complains the system in ME2 isn't varied enough to make his favorite Halo weapon?

^ Top  
  6. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    a.k.a. bitching for the sake of bitching a.k.a. modern game critics.

^ Top  
  7. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    No. Here's the entire sentence:
    So she (Norman) says that if you can't make Halo's Battle Rifle then the system needs work and suggests that you can indeed make it with ME2's weapon system. Therefore ME2's weapon system is perfection itself. Of course this all assumes you take her word for it.

^ Top  
  8. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That's actually pretty stupid on a few levels.

^ Top  
  9. Freelance Henchman Arcane

Freelance Henchman
    Project: Eternity
    why is there no double barel shotty liek in doom2 fail gaem is fail wtf ffs

^ Top  
  10. aries202 Erudite

aries202
    The only problem I have with this is that during the development phase of ME2 all Bioware's employees, inclduing Christina Norman did say that ME2 would still be an RPG - in every sense of the word. I don't much liked being liked to.

I'm sure ME2 is a great game, it might even have a better story than ME1 has. But with its shooter combats is it probably more related to shooters like Halo, Gears of War, Far Cry and Fear and the like.

I'm one of the people who would love to see Bioware make a game which has a good branching story which has multiple endings - and shooter combat. I just didn't realize that Bioware would try do make one when developing Mass Effect 2...

^ Top  
  11. Fez Erudite

Fez
    I'd have been happy seeing another IE game.

^ Top  
  12. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Me too, brutha, me too.

^ Top  
  13. Rhalle Magister

Rhalle
    ME3 needs the streamlining as well as a the return of a proper inventory, proper stat building, and a proper plot.

^ Top  
  14. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    You say this as if either ME game had any of these.

Though I'll admit I didn't mind ME1's character system. For an ARPG it worked well.

^ Top  
  15. 1eyedking Erudite

1eyedking
    Fuck this shit. I want another Fallout.

^ Top  
  16. Redshirt #42 Augur

Redshirt #42
    Me too. I hope Bethesda will make their new masterpiece Fallout 4 as soon as possible. :retarded:

^ Top  
  17. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    I know I'm going to get flamed for this. Again. But fuck it, flame away, it doesn't change the truth. If we want games with professional budgets that are actuallly decent, let alone good crpgs, we need to be prepared to pay a premium for them. Because we are a niche market. Most gamers ARE morons. That's the same for any market. I'm a moron when it comes to buying cars, cricket bats, insulation, fuckloads of stuff. Those who aren't and who care about - say - cars, pay a premium to get something made for folks who know about and car about getting a really good car. Those of us who want really good crpgs need to be prepared to pay a hefty premium for them. If that happened, you fucking bet that Bioware and co would be knocking on the doors of folk like Mitsoda, maybe even folk like VD, giving them a budget and complete creative freedom - all on the basis that whilst sales will be lower, people will pay twice what they would for a mainstream game.

Some folk keep on saying they WOULD pay a premium for those games. I certainly would. But then you keep on seeing indies who are at least trying to make the right kind of game getting pirated every bit as much as Bioware and Bethesda. So those folk get games that are worth exactly the same amount that they are paying for.

Gamers are part of the problem, not just companies. We aren't the worst of the problem, sure. But we need to be prepared to pay a hefty surcharge when someone tries to make a decent game if we want to see a resurrection of that genre.

^ Top  
  18. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    I would pay a premium for a good cRPG, but I doubt that'll actually happen until the current game industry collapses and niche markets arise from the ashes.

^ Top  
  19. Fez Erudite

Fez
    I think we're already seeing the growth of niche markets as it is. Certainly adventure games have been doing well recently, considering not long ago I can remember then being declared all but dead as a genre.

^ Top  
  20. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Adventure is what rised from ashes of quest genre, that's what you're most likely talking about.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Very pretty rant, but I don't see what it has to do with the point I raised. Except that I did also mention gamers and journalists are to blame for swallowing everything the industry tells them without questioning if any of the claims made are actually present in the product.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)