Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The Making of Mass Effect 2

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

<p>Have you ever wondered how Bioware built a better space opera? Probably not. <a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-making-of-mass-effect-2/a-2010051114473989090" target="_blank">Gamesradar ponders the issue though.</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>&ldquo;The mining?&rdquo; asks BioWare dev Christina Norman, &ldquo;everyone hates the mining.&rdquo;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Christina, don't know why? I suggest you mine 100 planets first - thoroughly - to get in touch with the issue.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The changes started with the combat system. Norman&rsquo;s team turned the RPG systems off completely and spent 81 calendar days tuning how combat would work in Mass Effect 2 using the original Mass Effect as a foundation. In the first outing, careful aiming was largely irrelevant &ndash; if your crosshair was over a character the game would do some RPG math and work out if you had scored a hit or not. For the sequel, combat was overhauled with some specific goals in mind &ndash; it had to be playable in real time without any need to pause, cover had to matter, and weapons had to be useful from the moment you picked them up without ever needing to level up.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>This is the new and modern RPG combat, mark my words.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97848-the-making-of-mass-effect-2.html">GB</a></p>

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh boy where do I begin.

“The mining?” asks BioWare dev Christina Norman, “everyone hates the mining.”
Does "everyone" include the Bioware staff? the testers? the developers? if so, why was it kept and made an important part of gameplay?

the mining was Mass Effect 2’s one mistake
How I wish.

and even then it was a small one, made worse by the sheer bloody amount of probing you had to do
Self-contradicting statement. There was nothing "small" about such a fundamentally stupid decision that you have to do in such amounts.

In every other way Mass Effect 2 was an improvement on its predecessor
In some ways? sure. Better writing, better voice acting, more interesting characters... I'll go with all these. Better gameplay? haha. Better combat system? you're a moron. Better inventory system? no, they just removed it. Better minigames? die in a fire.

it took a series of gutsy decisions to take it in its brand new direction
Copy-pasting the gameplay from hugely successful shooter is now a gutsy decision? What the fuck happened to this industry?

What do you generally expect in a sequel to a successful game? Usually, you’d expect polish and building on a lot of the features that were already there
Sure I do. I don't expect all the mediocre-but-possibly-promising features to be replaced with even worse variants, or to be removed outright and left with one massive gap.

Where Mass Effect was what Norman calls an ‘action RPG’, ME2 is an all-out shooter RPG
You mean an all-out shooter with RPG elements? Take that fanboys who kept claiming that ME2 is an action-RPG.

Norman’s team turned the RPG systems off completely and spent 81 calendar days tuning how combat would work in Mass Effect 2 using Gears of War as a foundation
Fixed. Which begs the question: why the fuck did it take them 81 days to produce a shitty ripoff of an already mediocre shooting system?

weapons had to be useful from the moment you picked them up without ever needing to level up
This is the key to understanding the RPG elements in ME2.

let’s take the RPG out of the shooter
Are you reading this Volly?

What’s really different is the overall feel and quality of combat, but that results from a series of small changes versus a wholesale, radical redesign
Why do you lie? ME2 combat has nothing in common with ME1's, except the name of the games.

In Mass Effect 1, bullets were ‘free’ which led to players running down corridors holding the trigger down in the hopes of scoring a single lucky hit – sure, they wouldn’t score many hits but they had nothing to lose by it either
Of course, the first thing you think of when you read such a scenario is "we need to add ammo". That the big problem is, in fact, that your player is running down a corridor without even looking at what is happening and NOT BEING KILLED is inconceivable.

Similarly, Mass Effect 2 abandons individual recharge times for biotic powers in favour of a unified system so players can’t spam lengthy chains of biotic powers – something which made the combat ridiculous and the endgame easy.
Of course, makes perfect sense. I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the biotic powers themselves being horribly overpowered.

We needed to make a much better, much more awesome inventory but we needed to support up to twelve squad members plus Shepard. I spent a long time looking at various RPG inventory systems and I couldn’t find anything that would work
Isn't Bioware's creativity awesome? They run across a problem, try to copy other people's solutions, and when that doesn't work they get rid of the problem by removing the feature entirely. All hail the future of video gaming.

it’s always been a little weird that you’re Commander Shepard with the most advanced spaceship in the galaxy out to save the world but he has to go and haggle to get a rifle for his crew.
What's more than a little weird is that now you’re Commander Shepard with the most advanced spaceship in the galaxy out to save the world but you have to go waste hours scanning planets for minerals. Haggling to get a rifle is weird, I agree. Scanning isn't weird, it's FUCKING STUPID.

Mass Effect made you juggle hundreds of different pieces of equipment but did they really make any difference to the game?
Ah once again. Problem: Bioware sucks at designing items so they make no difference. Solution: design better items. What Bioware does: get rid of inventory. Makes perfect sense!

if you can’t make Halo’s Battle Rifle using your weapon modelling systems then the system needs work
Awesome. So now ME2 is a hybrid of GoW gameplay with the ability of Halo fanboys to recreate their favorite weapon from that game. I can see your RPG right there.

the best part of role-playing is being the character and that means never being pulled out of the immersion of the world
IMMERSHUN! PLAYING THE ROLE OF SHEPARD!!!!111oneoneone
If this had been written by some Bethtard or Biotard, I would've laughed. But a supposedly grown up man? It saddens me. Oh wait, how old is the kid again?

In Mass Effect 2 we focused on what we love about RPGs – an awesome sense of exploration, intense combat, a deep and nonlinear story that’s affected by your actions
And this is the part where I get really, really pissed off at Bioware. They know exactly what they should be doing to make a good CRPG. That they ignore it all in favor of juvenile shooting, romances, a railroaded completely linear plot with zero choices is one thing. That they then take their streamlined piece of shit and claim with a straight face that it achieves all these RPG ideals deserves flaming them to a crisp. That millions of fanboys and the entirety of the gaming press swallows this like holy semen is ultimate proof that there is no hope for us because the majority of gamers are morons.

Going into Mass Effect 2, BioWare were tracking 700 decisions made by players of the original game which could impact on the events of the new game
If by "impact" you mean "got an email saying thanks", then yeah sure, although I am certain the figure is closer to 70 than 700, but whatever.

RPG elements were handled more carefully than before. Conversations are snappier and camera angles more dynamic
RPG elements = snappy conversations and dynamic camera angles? Where the fuck do they get these "journalists"?

if you ever wanted to kill someone in Mass Effect, chances are the option is there
Funny. Hilarious. I'm laughing. Ha. Ha. Ha.

And finally, it’s the player’s story, not BioWare’s – it’s this which differentiates BioWare’s approach from that of a Japanese RPG designer who is telling a story to the player
This shit again? Stop it Bioware. You want to make a linear railroaded shooter? fine. Do it, and I'll leave you alone, because I don't really care about linear railroaded shooters either way. But if you're going to present that linear railroaded shooter as something it is not (in this case, an RPG with real choices and nonlinear story determined by me the player) then I have only one thing to say: fuck off.

We’re already working on adjustments to those aspects
I can't wait for ME3. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing how they will fuck up the already so badly fucked up elements of ME2. And then get praised for reinventing the wheel. Again.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought the streamlining was good for the series. Bioware is clearly incapable of making a proper cRPG nowadays (see Dragon Age), so abandoning all pretense of the game being an RPG and just focusing on the action gameplay was an improvement for me. It's arguable that they went too far in some places, but as a whole I had way more fun with ME2.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
Wait, I don't understand. He complains about ME1 having hundreds of items, then complains the system in ME2 isn't varied enough to make his favorite Halo weapon?
No. Here's the entire sentence:
Mass Effect 2’s weapons each have their own feel and identity which makes every gun unique. It’s something Norman puts down to tweaking hundreds of variables on each weapon and a system flexible enough to match any weapon in any other shooter. She suggested that if you can’t make Halo’s Battle Rifle using your weapon modelling systems then the system needs work.
So she (Norman) says that if you can't make Halo's Battle Rifle then the system needs work and suggests that you can indeed make it with ME2's weapon system. Therefore ME2's weapon system is perfection itself. Of course this all assumes you take her word for it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
Mass Effect 2’s weapons each have their own feel and identity which makes every gun unique. It’s something Norman puts down to tweaking hundreds of variables on each weapon and a system flexible enough to match any weapon in any other shooter. She suggested that if you can’t make Halo’s Battle Rifle using your weapon modelling systems then the system needs work.
So she (Norman) says that if you can't make Halo's Battle Rifle then the system needs work and suggests that you can indeed make it with ME2's weapon system. Therefore ME2's weapon system is perfection itself. Of course this all assumes you take her word for it.

That's actually pretty stupid on a few levels.

aries202

Erudite
The only problem I have with this is that during the development phase of ME2 all Bioware's employees, inclduing Christina Norman did say that ME2 would still be an RPG - in every sense of the word. I don't much liked being liked to.

I'm sure ME2 is a great game, it might even have a better story than ME1 has. But with its shooter combats is it probably more related to shooters like Halo, Gears of War, Far Cry and Fear and the like.

I'm one of the people who would love to see Bioware make a game which has a good branching story which has multiple endings - and shooter combat. I just didn't realize that Bioware would try do make one when developing Mass Effect 2...

Rhalle

Magister
ME3 needs the streamlining as well as a the return of a proper inventory, proper stat building, and a proper plot.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Rhalle said:
ME3 needs the streamlining as well as a the return of a proper inventory, proper stat building, and a proper plot.
You say this as if either ME game had any of these.

Though I'll admit I didn't mind ME1's character system. For an ARPG it worked well.

Sceptic said:
And this is the part where I get really, really pissed off at Bioware. They know exactly what they should be doing to make a good CRPG. That they ignore it all in favor of juvenile shooting, romances, a railroaded completely linear plot with zero choices is one thing. That they then take their streamlined piece of shit and claim with a straight face that it achieves all these RPG ideals deserves flaming them to a crisp. That millions of fanboys and the entirety of the gaming press swallows this like holy semen is ultimate proof that there is no hope for us because the majority of gamers are morons.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this. Again. But fuck it, flame away, it doesn't change the truth. If we want games with professional budgets that are actuallly decent, let alone good crpgs, we need to be prepared to pay a premium for them. Because we are a niche market. Most gamers ARE morons. That's the same for any market. I'm a moron when it comes to buying cars, cricket bats, insulation, fuckloads of stuff. Those who aren't and who care about - say - cars, pay a premium to get something made for folks who know about and car about getting a really good car. Those of us who want really good crpgs need to be prepared to pay a hefty premium for them. If that happened, you fucking bet that Bioware and co would be knocking on the doors of folk like Mitsoda, maybe even folk like VD, giving them a budget and complete creative freedom - all on the basis that whilst sales will be lower, people will pay twice what they would for a mainstream game.

Some folk keep on saying they WOULD pay a premium for those games. I certainly would. But then you keep on seeing indies who are at least trying to make the right kind of game getting pirated every bit as much as Bioware and Bethesda. So those folk get games that are worth exactly the same amount that they are paying for.

Gamers are part of the problem, not just companies. We aren't the worst of the problem, sure. But we need to be prepared to pay a hefty surcharge when someone tries to make a decent game if we want to see a resurrection of that genre.

Xor

Arcane
I would pay a premium for a good cRPG, but I doubt that'll actually happen until the current game industry collapses and niche markets arise from the ashes.

Fez

Erudite
I think we're already seeing the growth of niche markets as it is. Certainly adventure games have been doing well recently, considering not long ago I can remember then being declared all but dead as a genre.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Fez said:
I think we're already seeing the growth of niche markets as it is. Certainly adventure games have been doing well recently, considering not long ago I can remember then being declared all but dead as a genre.
Adventure is what rised from ashes of quest genre, that's what you're most likely talking about.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Azrael the cat said:
Sceptic said:

I know I'm going to get flamed for this. Again. But fuck it, flame away, it doesn't change the truth. If we want games with professional budgets that are actuallly decent, let alone good crpgs, we need to be prepared to pay a premium for them. Because we are a niche market. Most gamers ARE morons. That's the same for any market. I'm a moron when it comes to buying cars, cricket bats, insulation, fuckloads of stuff. Those who aren't and who care about - say - cars, pay a premium to get something made for folks who know about and car about getting a really good car. Those of us who want really good crpgs need to be prepared to pay a hefty premium for them. If that happened, you fucking bet that Bioware and co would be knocking on the doors of folk like Mitsoda, maybe even folk like VD, giving them a budget and complete creative freedom - all on the basis that whilst sales will be lower, people will pay twice what they would for a mainstream game.

Some folk keep on saying they WOULD pay a premium for those games. I certainly would. But then you keep on seeing indies who are at least trying to make the right kind of game getting pirated every bit as much as Bioware and Bethesda. So those folk get games that are worth exactly the same amount that they are paying for.

Gamers are part of the problem, not just companies. We aren't the worst of the problem, sure. But we need to be prepared to pay a hefty surcharge when someone tries to make a decent game if we want to see a resurrection of that genre.
Very pretty rant, but I don't see what it has to do with the point I raised. Except that I did also mention gamers and journalists are to blame for swallowing everything the industry tells them without questioning if any of the claims made are actually present in the product.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom