Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Darth Canoli

Arcane
And most importantly, Golden Axe was probably in development.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Top Ten CRPGs of 1988:

Wasteland
Ultima V
The Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate (only became playable decades later with the UOP, though)
Pool of Radiance
Star Command
Demons's Winter
BattleTech: tCHI
Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom
Might and Magic 2
Silvern Castle

Darth Canoli

Arcane
How does merging the games work? You can play all the MM7-8 classes in 6? Or just MM8? How does it handle promotions? Weird.

If you start with 8, you only have MM8 classes as an option but you can play them in the other games once you use the "dimension door" to get to another world.

Regarding promotions, i suspect you can only promote your character in the game you started (maybe 6 & 7 are somewhat compatible in that regard though )

I tried to start from MM6 with classes from all 3 games and it "crashed" (well, it didn't start after more than 15 minutes)

Luzur

Good Sir
5XN2ciL.jpg

Updated to 1.5: better and more NPCs, restored old weapon values (with some tweaks), restored loot tables for monsters (100% vanilla now), many small improvements in item graphics, fixed double-wielding graphics for daggers and swords, easier installation, added vanilla-friendly settings and made most stuff optional, more reasonable class/skills tweaks, a couple of NPC profession tweaks, and more.

Started recently to play MM6, but I saw there weren't downloadable mods for the vanilla game, except a mod called "Suicide Squad" by koval321. This mod contains many upgraded graphics that look definitely better than the originals, but also some that I didn't like much. But the thing that made me abandon the idea of using it in my game was the extensive changes that he made to the original gameplay(circus in all taverns, double damage for all weapons bows included, altered resistances for monsters, etc) and I didn't want to stray too far away vanilla gameplay. Still, there were some concepts I liked a lot (javelins instead of spears) and I wanted to play with the new weapon graphics. So I started to make this mod, borrowing many graphics from koval321's mod and adding some of my own.

While making the mod, I wished I could restrict some equipment (helms, boots etc) for classes, and finally I found a way to achieve that too. So it became a gameplay mod, not only about graphics.

MNxia3u.png

You need MMArchive, GrayFace Patch 2.0, and MMExtension if you plan to use the altered skills and tables.

You need MMArchive only for the sound files.
Read the readme in each folder of the mod you want to install. It's much easier than in previous version.

Download link: http://bit.ly/MM6-XMAS16-1-5

(An Excel sheet where you can test stuff is included)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

These are the changes (all optional and can be combined):

606XA6I.png

- IMPROVED GRAPHICS: for many weapons and for some armors. Many taken from koval321's Suicide Squad mod, often edited, others made by me.

- Artifacts and relics have their own individual graphics, except some (armors and capes) for which this couldn't be done for engine limitations.

- NEW NPC GRAPHICS: I respected the role of the NPC while assigning new pictures, though the ones that you can hire in the streets still have random pictures. Taken from koval321'mod, DeviantArt drawings, game avatars and portraits from various sources (see credits). Sample(not updated): http://i.imgur.com/5pcTC3o.jpg

- NEW FREELOOK CURSOR: it replaces the MM6Patch cursor

VO6bQvC.jpg

c7yQ1PJ.png

UNglcQO.png

- New sound for start/end of battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duo_yAWbW78

tavsbWF.png

In vanilla game all classes can wear all kinds of boots/helms etc. This had the consequence that after all bonuses from gear and enchantments, the armor class of a sorcerer wasn't much lower than the one of a knight. Now not anymore!

Leather users will be restricted to hats, crowns, and the lowest(not enchantable) helms/gauntlets/boots. Chain users will have more choices (usually the tier 3 enchantable gear), and the highest quality is only for plate users. This is achieved by tagging the items as using leather/chain/plate skill.

There was a problem though: if for example you wear chain armor + chain helm/boots/gauntlets, you get 4x your skill as bonus! I countered this by lowering the base gain to almost zero. This means that if you want to see some gain from using those items you should have some points in the skill already, otherwise you'd get better protection with leather gear (except armor).

Leather gear doesn't use the leather skill and can be worn by anyone (except armor).

Changes in 1.5: lowered bonus for cloaks, leather gets bonus only from armor (1x skill), overall lower armor bonus (compared to vanilla, you'll need about 10 skill to get even with chain or plate, you'll never get even with leather no matter what)

In conclusion:

- overall gear progression follows this scheme: L1 leather, L2 chain, L3 plate, L4 chain, L5 plate. There's an extra L2 plate helm, and some surprises among the artifacts.
- leather is much weaker, so druids and sorcerers have to be careful.
- chain and plate gear can be better (at skill >10) but require proper training, you can't just wear top gear to see massive bonus.
- belts and cloaks give a minor bonus(1-5)

vcbWBMB.png

- Javelins: ranged, they replace spears and can be equipped instead of bows. They are a bit weaker than bows, they can't double shoot, but they receive the armor bonus for expertise in spears (you can get +8 if you have a halberd/trident equipped for melee).

- Throwing Daggers: ranged, they replace long daggers. Same remarks made for javelins (except the armor bonus).

- Staff Slings (optional files with weapon restrictions): replace broadswords, use staff proficiency, and are meant to give clerics/druids a ranged weapon.

Since spear and dagger skills weren't meant for ranged combat, raising the skill won't increase ranged accuracy, only melee. I don't know if you can have 3x damage with throwing daggers, but I doubt it. They're meant as extra/early weapons, unless you use the optional tables that restrict class skills (especially bows), in this case they become important for classes that can't use a bow.

ZpUIfHu.png

Optional. You can choose from:

Normal monsters: +10% HP or +25% HP.
Enhanced monsters (extra ranged/melee attacks/spells): normal, +10% HP, +25% HP.

LD9Y5kg.png

All optional and can be combined.

Altered weapon skills:
- Bow can be only learned by Knight, Archer and Paladin
- Druids can learn spears (and use javelins, tridents and halberds)
- Clerics can use staff slings, while sorcerers throwing daggers

Altered magic skills:
- Paladins can only learn Spirit
- Archers can only learn Fire
- Druids can't learn Spirit nor Mind
- Clerics can't learn Dark
- Sorcerers can't learn Light nor Earth, but can learn Mind

Altered HP/SP progression
- Paladins have slightly more HPs, but less SPs.
- Archers have slightly more SPs.
- Sorcerers have less HPs, but more SPs.
- Druids have less HPs.
- Clerics and Knights are unchanged (only base values slightly).

Read the specific readme for more details.

kdeQHbJ.png

Halberds and hammers are two-handed only.
Two handed weapons have generally better chance to hit than one handed ones, that are sometimes less powerful than in vanilla (especially 1-H swords and daggers, that can be double-wielded, doubling both damage and bonus to hit).
Ranged weapons do slightly less damage (the cheapest weapons at least).

rpEFOaU.png

koval321 for the graphics contained Suicide Squad mod
Several Baldur's Gate mods for some of the new NPC faces, as well as avatars from various games

Also MM8,5 - Echo of Destruction seems to be slowly.....dragging along, with this single update 9 months ago:

So all this time and only thing they can show us is.....an animated shopscreen.

Dorateen

Arcane
Ah, to be standing outside the Inn of Middlegate once more.

What was amazing is that an encounter with three Rabid Rodents in some random alley in the north part of town can obliterate an unprepared party. We managed to take down two of them before our sorcerer was depleted of spell points. We looked at each other, then decided to run. Dragging the rest of the party back to the inn. There, we promptly shook down Sir Felgar and company for their gold and equipment.

The beauty of Might & Magic is realized the moment you step out the door of the inn. Here you have an entire town to explore; locating valuable shops, trainers and NPCs. While trying to survive fighting monsters and finding treasures, if you can survive opening the chests as well. You have the caverns below Middlegate available for adventure, or can try to brave the outdoors. You can find a portal that will take you to a whole new town basically on the other side of the world.

There is no linear tutorial, and no one telling you what to bloody do. It's paradise.

a0zjSHb.jpg

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
Rebirth of M&M8 - "The Lord of the Damned" modification
Unread postby J. M. Sower » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:46 pm

2eauuk8.png

Hello, I want to present my modification for MM8 that will be not only extension, but completly new part of MM saga. It will have the storyline placed in Karigor, started on 1158 (a few years before MM678 games). There will be used old content from MM7/8, sometimes renewed, and also completly new things like monsters, character races, artifacts, etc. Also some other aspects will be extended/changed/added like new functions in interface (in new blue color, but I want to leave option to have the original, green interface).

I planned to publish first version of mod when there will be completly finished starting map. Unfortunetly for first there will be only the polish language version, but I want to make also english.

Here is topic about modification on polish forum. I started publishing informations about this project in 2016 so it would be hard to write about all, here and now. Therefore, if someone is interested, please, use Google translate, and read the polish topic. If something is unclear just ask me here.
wink.gif

https://www.forum.acidcave.net/topic.php?TID=2969&page=1

Anyway I will try to present something below and from this time I will be publishing new informations also in here, in english.

Video from the game:
https://youtu.be/oETAptUGcRY

From the last newses, in my mod will be some differences introduced into all character classes/races. They will be more focused on unique skills. Also Dark Elves will be replaced to Ice Elves (there will be Vori Island in game
wink.gif
) and Minotaurs and Trolls will be replaced by Werewolfs (strong in damage, and with some dark magic skills, even some completly new spells) and Gnomes (the weakest race in fight but very good in magic and speciall abilities like repairing, merchant etc.) Here are some actual graphics of new races:
l1BhFcU.png

lt2OFUP.png

Male Elves haven't good faces for now:
qqbsp2.png

2wel9vs.png

Here you can see the new main menu:
FyC0IcU.png

And some pics of new creatures (including remake of wraiths
wink.gif
):
werewolf___new_might_and_magic_viii_creature_by_jmsower-dbntn08.png

0XUFygJ.png

15of8li.png

2ibkvtd.png

2jd3qiv.png

Spoiler alert! ;P
http://oi65.tinypic.com/34qp6qe.jpg

Seasons:
qqy2rb.png

Return of blasters!
2v34v9z.png

World map (at this time it is little more polished
wink.gif
)
a1381u.png

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Playing Might and Magic VI for the first time, I have to say the game definitely has its quirks (the combat is insane, for example, what were they even thinking of implementing this?), but I do like how it looks and sounds, and am looking forward to discovering its strong sides.

A question though - is there a limit for how many skills a character can have? For example, I have a paladin in my party who hasn't any miscellaneous skills learnt yet, and I want him to be able to identify items. Can I freely buy the identify skill (and others) for him without fear of reaching a limit which won't allow him to learn another skill in the future?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
the combat is insane, for example, what were they even thinking of implementing this?
:nocountryforshitposters:
git gud fag

A question though - is there a limit for how many skills a character can have? For example, I have a paladin in my party who hasn't any miscellaneous skills learnt yet, and I want him to be able to identify items. Can I freely buy the identify skill for him without fear of reaching a limit which won't allow him to learn another skill in the future?
There is not a limit to skills as a number,but not every character can have every skill. Just buy everything from the guilds. Also you could master all the skills a class can have.....so yah you can have a paladin with master identification. Also try to keep mage's skillpoints in its archetype skills,because of how much the mastery of magic schools cost. Also earth magic is useless,get air and water mastery first.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Playing Might and Magic VI for the first time, I have to say the game definitely has its quirks (the combat is insane, for example, what were they even thinking of implementing this?), but I do like how it looks and sounds, and am looking forward to discovering its strong sides.

A question though - is there a limit for how many skills a character can have? For example, I have a paladin in my party who hasn't any miscellaneous skills learnt yet, and I want him to be able to identify items. Can I freely buy the identify skill (and others) for him without fear of reaching a limit which won't allow him to learn another skill in the future?

When you create your party, choose wisely with the skills mastery list / classes, combat is so much easier when you can blast everything from afar so obviously magic users and warriors with good archery skills are useful, if you pick a warrior with poor of no archery skill, make sure you know what you're doing and that he's going to annihilate anything that comes too close, i prefer hybrid warriors with one good weapon mastery (like axe GM + some bow skill) a mage, a cleric and the last one should be another hybrid with some interesting ranged skills or a heavy hitter.

There is some limits, not number wise but quality wise
- some skills can't be learned by some classes
- check the skill mastery list / classes, that's very important because most novice skills are barely useful

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, I thought that different classes in MMVI have limits on whether they can get Master level perks for different skills, but I guess they don't. Maybe that's only MMVII. Sure, if you want your Paladin to be your Identify Item guy, go for it; he should be able to train to Master level.

T. Reich

Arcane
Huh, I thought that different classes in MMVI have limits on whether they can get Master level perks for different skills, but I guess they don't. Maybe that's only MMVII. Sure, if you want your Paladin to be your Identify Item guy, go for it; he should be able to train to Master level.

MM7+8 have expanded on the basics laid out im MM6.

In MM6, if a class could learn a skill, they could master it.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

The tragedy is how they improved the system but go backwards in everything else compared to 6...

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The tragedy is how they made the system more complex but go backwards in everything compared to 6, skill system included...
Fixed it, you're welcome :)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The tragedy is how they improved the system but go backwards in everything else compared to 6...
Have no idea of what you are talking about! They expanded on everything.....except maybe the size of the dungeons.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

Have no idea of what you are talking about! They expanded on everything.....except maybe the size of the dungeons.

Worse dungeon design, smaller, less interesting world, less exciting leveling progression... OK, I guess it's a matter of taste, 7 just didn't work for me compared to 6.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Worse dungeon design, smaller, less interesting world, less exciting leveling progression... OK, I guess it's a matter of taste, 7 just didn't work for me compared to 6.
That doesn't mean they didn't expand on everything. Liking MM6 more is fair enough,i too see it as better one.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom