Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The worst part of the poll is that i can't see which degenerates voted for that ubisoft miscarriage mmx
I did, im not hiding and im better than you
Clearly it is time cleanse some middle aged fags for liking mediocre corpses like mmx,even mm9 is a superior game :smug:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually I find it appalling that Isles of Terra is so low on the list. Should be multiple choice poll, otherwise it's all about Xeen and 6.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually I find it appalling that Isles of Terra is so low on the list. Should be multiple choice poll, otherwise it's all about Xeen and 6.

Isles of Terra was my first, and my favorite. Just the whole self-contained thing, with each isle a different biome(more or less) and the wonder of looking across the water and wondering what you'd find once you can get the skills/spells to go across the sea. Then checking each water tile in the distance for things. Remember warping into the Dragon Lords lair and having the epic battle there. It seemed huge, yet manageable.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My bad, i didn't replay 6 for a long time, these mastery limits in 7+ are interesting but they went a bit too far.

Isles of Terra was my first, and my favorite. Just the whole self-contained thing, with each isle a different biome(more or less) and the wonder of looking across the water and wondering what you'd find once you can get the skills/spells to go across the sea. Then checking each water tile in the distance for things. Remember warping into the Dragon Lords lair and having the epic battle there. It seemed huge, yet manageable.

Same here, not sure if i tried clouds ou isles of Terra first but Isles of Terra is my favorite and it was so well designed for his time it aged very well and is very much enjoyable nowadays, even for a first timer.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well you voted for that garbage x over it. I do agree on the multi choice and that MM3 is a great game. The problem here is that they are all good games except X. It is really hard choice that could end up chosen by nostalgia. I chose VI because of it,even if MMVII improves on everything.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
With much diligence and study, Clerics can ascend to Priest (gaining one hit point and spell point per level), and eventually High Priest (gaining another spell point and an extra hit point).
The way I understand the above statement is this: when your cleric acquires the Priest status, he receives one additional hit point and one additional spell point for every level in the Cleric profession (for example), NOT just beginning from the level at which he becomes Priest, that is he won't lose any points that the Priest status would've granted him in case he becomes Priest at level 10 and not at level 4, for example. Correct?

Also a question about the Bodybuilding skill - as I understand it, it gives only a 'flat' bonus to hp on the top of the 'base' amount (corresponding to level 0 or absence of this skill) that is based on the current level of the skill?

And finally, is there any difference between leather, chain, and plate armour beyond Armor scores? I mean, why would I want to learn the Leather Armor skill if my character is able to train Chain Armor, for example?

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's different with 7 / 8 so i had to check, seems the only difference is AC and recovery rate.

Leather master : Recovery penalty eliminated.

Chain/Plate, it's just reduced, Plate having the "heavier" penalties, so you attack more often with a leather armor, probably worth some tests.

Body building Master = +3 HP per skill point.

https://mightandmagic.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Might_and_Magic_VI_skills

Promotion : That's how it works in 7/8, it's retro-active, not 100% sure in VI but it should be too.

Tsss, now i want to reload III, VI or X ...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
With much diligence and study, Clerics can ascend to Priest (gaining one hit point and spell point per level), and eventually High Priest (gaining another spell point and an extra hit point).
The way I understand the above statement is this: when your cleric acquires the Priest status, he receives one additional hit point and one additional spell point for every level in the Cleric profession (for example), NOT just beginning from the level at which he becomes Priest, that is he won't lose any points that the Priest status would've granted him in case he becomes Priest at level 10 and not at level 4, for example. Correct?

Also a question about the Bodybuilding skill - as I understand it, it gives only a 'flat' bonus to hp on the top of the 'base' amount (corresponding to level 0 or absence of this skill) that is based on the current level of the skill?

And finally, is there any difference between leather, chain, and plate armour beyond Armor scores? I mean, why would I want to learn the Leather Armor skill if my character is able to train Chain Armor, for example?
It is a good idea to hold off promotions as much as you can (in MM6). That way you save up on training,it costs more to level up for a higher rank.

T. Reich

Arcane
Class promotion will grant you bonus HP/MP per character level. You will not lose out on anything if you get promoted at a later time.
In fact, putting off promotion is a good money-saving strat because each class promotion adds another 100% to the base level up training costs, and that adds up FAST.

Bodybuilding grants 1 character level's worth of HP per point of skill. Making is super useful of classes that get a lot of HP per level (Knight) and pretty much useless on squishier classes.

Leather armour increases recovery time (a very important hidden stat) by 10. Chain by 20. Plate by 30. Shield by 10.
You want recovery time as low as possible.
Leather skill allows to eliminate recovery penalty, IIRC as does plate mastery. Chain skill does not, so chain is actually the worst armour type in the game.
Plus, in the endgame the final AC values will not value much - you will get enough AC from buffs and non-body-armour type defenses to make the difference between even leather and plate insubstantial.
The only reason to use plate is to get the % damage reduction from the skill, anyway.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
P.S.: Here's the REAL mechanics that matter, all neatly laid out - https://grayface.github.io/mm/mechanics/
Incidentally, it's the guy who made amazing unofficial patches for mm6-8, which are a MUST install for the games to feel good.

:bro:

Thanks for the link, i always use Grayface patches when i replay but didn't know about this page, very helpful.

I think i'm going to try the following installment :

MM6 GoG + Grayface + The chaos conspiracy

Anyone tried TCC ?

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
P.S.: Here's the REAL mechanics that matter, all neatly laid out - https://grayface.github.io/mm/mechanics/
Incidentally, it's the guy who made amazing unofficial patches for mm6-8, which are a MUST install for the games to feel good.

:bro:

Thanks for the link, i always use Grayface patches when i replay but didn't know about this page, very helpful.

I think i'm going to try the following installment :

MM6 GoG + Grayface + The chaos conspiracy

Anyone tried TCC ?
I tried it a bit before i had to reinstall the PC. It was a lot harder than the original game. From what i saw it was mixing of different levels. For example if you enter the goblin watch it will load some other level,say the temple of baa from castle ironfist. It is not random,they just try to tell a different story while using the same assets. It was not bad but it was strange. Also you could load a old save with power party,it plops you in the map you were in the original game but in the modded version,it was really strange :).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, started it with grayface 2.1 + TCC part 1, works like a charm, there is some tough enemies nearby though, had to run to the temple and heal 3 times in order to kill that Tortuga guard after clearing the regular thieves accompanying him, just outside the starting town only to notice there was a +12 poisonous sword on the ground next to him ...

Any good MM mods to recommend guys?

I enjoyed Ludwig's spawn mods for Isles of Terra and Xeen, new game balance, enemies inflict status more often making some of them real pain and monsters re-spawning.

Maestro mod for MM7 is similar (without the auto-respawn part) with some classes re-balance.

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Anyone tried TCC ?
I starded it three times but never went too far. The farthest I got was around level 20/25. Too many things put me out, like that dungeon inflicting constant insanity on your party members while you're inside. And the remix/redistribution of original maps and enemies gets old really fast.

It's still worth launching, at least once, for that intro video though. :lol:

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Had to restart my TCC / MM6 play-through, didn't uncheck the bow while installing Greyface patch, questlog wouldn't work and i started in Sorpigal, it works just like it should now (MM6 install > greyface 2.1/uncheck the box > copy paste TCC files ), playing with max difficulty.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm having a problem with MM6 (with the Grayface patch). The game starts just fine, and audio plays, but it appears as if minimized to the taskbar, with no apparent way of getting the game on screen. My google skills are weak, and I can't find a solution. Anyone here come across this issue? I'm using the GOG version, with the latest Grayface patch. Also running Windows 10, in case it matters.

Edit: Turns out I hadn't tried running the program as administrator. I'm leaving this post for posterity in case someone else happens to be as big an idiot as I am, and to let people laugh at my incompetence.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My early review of TCC, after 1 hours or so :

:decline: TCC logo > total decline, give me back the 3DO one !
:argh: Intro > not sure if it gets better but i didn't have the patience to wait and hit escape during the "book" phase, booooring >> total decline, give me back the original with the meteorite and then the dragon flying, seriously, why even waste time to do something that lame ?

Terrible start, why do these modders feel the need to replace things they're not going to improve ?

:bounce: TCC mod itsellf, so far, i'm enjoying it a lot, my last MM6 play-through was probably 10 - 15 years ago so it might be very different if you played it a couple of years ago, though.
:roll: They changed the names of magic schools, that's really unnecessary but it's not a problem either.
:cool: Looks like they changed some spells too, i don't remember the earth stun spell, for instance
:incline: The new early quest is quite intriguing, it really adds something.

Strange Fellow don't worry, it happens to the best of us ;-)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom