Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I was under the impression the main new quest was meant to follow early on but i stumbled upon Trolls/Jotnar and theirs big daddys in numbers throwing the shatter rock spell on the third area you're supposed to visit.

Somewhat i start to feel either i'm not supposed to be there or picking the 3rd difficulty level was a bad idea.

Also, it's a shame they didn't import arcomage while they were at it, that's the first thing you should do when modding MM6.

Well, my party is level 9 (Paladin, Archer, Priest and mage), so far, so good.

Seems like every monster has some ranged goodies to throw at you, it's a nice change from MM8 where you fly by powerless nagas and eradicate them without a scratch.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
What cheats are available for MM6? I want a recruitable character with specific abilities and a specific portrait, and I'm tired of rolling for it.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Rolling ?
Didn't play the vanilla version in ages, just install greyface patch 2.1, no rolling involved, just an attributes points pool for all characters.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
I mean hirelings... characters you hire to get various benefits (I called it 'abilities') like a bonus to your characters' stats for example (+6 to Merchant, for example). By rolling I meant that every time you reload your save game, the identity (name, portrait, abilities) of a hireling that may be standing in front of you generates anew. So now I'm reloading my last save game over and over again in the hope of getting a hireling with the abilities and portrait that I want. This is rather silly as the chance that I get the combination I desire is extremely, frighteningly low, so I wondered if there is a software tool that will allow me to add a hireling with specified abilities and portrait to my party in a couple of clicks. The save game editors I've tried so far (MM6CHE, Elrond's) don't seem to provide this functionality, and MMEditor (a map editor for MM6-8) hasn't this sort of feature as well.

Also I'd be very grateful if someone told me where I could find all the portraits from MM6 in an image file format (or how I could extract them from my copy of the game).

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
:shredder:

Well, if you're that much into it, i suppose you could hex edit it, i admit i was searching for some good looking hirelings at first but let's be honest, besides the satisfaction of getting one or the casual screen shot, it's useless and you're not even going to look at their faces at all while playing.

Fuuuuuuck, my priest aged 1 year, stupid ghosts ! :argh:

Covenant

Savant
I mean hirelings... characters you hire to get various benefits (I called it 'abilities') like a bonus to your characters' stats for example (+6 to Merchant, for example). By rolling I meant that every time you reload your save game, the identity (name, portrait, abilities) of a hireling that may be standing in front of you generates anew. So now I'm reloading my last save game over and over again in the hope of getting a hireling with the abilities and portrait that I want. This is rather silly as the chance that I get the combination I desire is extremely, frighteningly low, so I wondered if there is a software tool that will allow me to add a hireling with specified abilities and portrait to my party in a couple of clicks. The save game editors I've tried so far (MM6CHE, Elrond's) don't seem to provide this functionality, and MMEditor (a map editor for MM6-8) hasn't this sort of feature as well.

Also I'd be very grateful if someone told me where I could find all the portraits from MM6 in an image file format (or how I could extract them from my copy of the game).

Think I've found the portraits for you online, though I only gave it a quick look and it might not be what you're looking for.

OCD is a harsh mistress. Good luck with your rolling.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Y’all nerds made me want to play some M&M6. I hope you feel proud that I just wasted most of my extra day off on this game instead of going out like a normal college student

jewboy

Arbiter
Does anyone have a motherboard or computer that still has Windows98/95 drivers? How are you playing these games? With an emulator? If so which one? Last time I tried to play MM8 (wanted to play as a dragon...too bad they became overpowered midgame) I couldn't deal with the old style graphics and I am a geezer who played games like Adventure and Castle Wolfenstein and even Spacewar, a star trek game with ascii grarphics where enemy ships were represented by * and ++ etc. I have become too spoiled and those low-res graphics hurt my eyes. I might even prefer an all text game to those low res graphics. Still better than Wizard and the Princess or Cranston Manor but I wish someone would redo MM6-8 with at least 800+600 svga resolutions.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
So now I'm reloading my last save game over and over again in the hope of getting a hireling with the abilities and portrait that I want..
I have the same kind of stupid compulsion when I play MM6, but what I do is just reload until I get the right abilities and go with it. Then, whenever I'm in town I look for a guy with same abilities but better portrait. So I keep changing the hirelings portraits until I'm satisfied, and even then I keep looking and sometimes find a better looking or goofier one.

Barbalos

Savant
Does anyone have a motherboard or computer that still has Windows98/95 drivers? How are you playing these games? With an emulator? If so which one? Last time I tried to play MM8 (wanted to play as a dragon...too bad they became overpowered midgame) I couldn't deal with the old style graphics and I am a geezer who played games like Adventure and Castle Wolfenstein and even Spacewar, a star trek game with ascii grarphics where enemy ships were represented by * and ++ etc. I have become too spoiled and those low-res graphics hurt my eyes. I might even prefer an all text game to those low res graphics. Still better than Wizard and the Princess or Cranston Manor but I wish someone would redo MM6-8 with at least 800+600 svga resolutions.

There's mods for MM6-7-8, like GrayFace's stuff - https://grayface.github.io/mm/
Angeldeaths resolution mod (he has one for both MM6 and 7 - https://sites.google.com/site/angelddeath/
There's also a MM6-7-8 merge into the MM8 engine which improves the graphics among other things - https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16657
There is also this mod I just found now, not seen it before: MM6 HD (Smoother Graphics) - https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16047

I'm playing MM6 in the merge mod atm, but if I wanted to start again I'd probably use GrayFace's stuff with maybe that Smoother Graphics and/or Angeldeath's mod.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dumb question: Is the Abandoned Temple and the Temple of Baa the same place? I assume it is, but I've scoured the place pretty thoroughly and still haven't found this Chime of Harmony I'm supposed to be bringing back.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The Abandoned Temple is one of the beginner dungeons, with rats and cobras and such, while the Temple of Baa is the Temple in the Castle Ironfist sector and becomes literally filled with wall to wall skeletons.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I starded it three times but never went too far. The farthest I got was around level 20/25. Too many things put me out, like that dungeon inflicting constant insanity on your party members while you're inside. And the remix/redistribution of original maps and enemies gets old really fast.

It starts with mass fear and then mass insanity, not sure if immunities work but it's not that bad, you just boost your party outside and then you don't waste any second inside in order to save MP and not casting buffs too often.

And honestly, with bless/heroism and that insanity boost, these skeletons pose no threat and my party has a far lower level, besides, it's full of horseshoes so i can forgive the constant insanity. :bounce:

It's far easier than the fucking trolls with Rock blast outside.

jewboy

Arbiter
Wow. That's amazing. I am definitely going to try those mods and go back and play mm6-8 if it is doable on Windows 7 or 10. Thanks so much for posting that. I loved those games and have wanted to replay them for a long time. Too bad NWC hasn't joined the Kickstarter craze. Maybe those geezers are just too old. Confined to rocking chairs etc.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Yeeeeaah I've finally rolled the combination I wanted!!!!!! It took me only 16487 reloads

You picked the wrong game, if you like loading screens so much, you should play Deadfire. :roll:
Well on my pc save games for MM6 load in no time.

And that was a lie, actually. In fact I used a hex editor to edit my save game (as you suggested), and I managed to locate the two bytes (supposedly two) that control what portrait the hireling will have (and also the byte for their type - Scholar, Mystic, Pirate etc). Unfortunately, the location of those bytes doesn't seem to stay the same after you hire another hireling - the values for the first one seem to get re-written somewhere in the area that goes after the original offset. So I still haven't figured out a reliable method for adding hirelings to your party via hex edit. :| Anyway, the values one needs to change are placed somewhere after the data for the characters from your party - you can search for their names (they are explicitly written as ascii text in save game files) in text mode to get to that offset.

Damn there are like 300 different portraits in the game :shredder:

Update:
1Rs0hPJ.png
On the left there is the save game made before hiring a second hireling. I hired a character that was standing just in front of my group and made another save game right after - you can see the dump of its contents on the right. Inside the red rectangles are respectively the values for the portrait and type of the first hireling, the blue ones encircle respectively the portrait and type of the second hireling. What the other values inside the green rectangle mean I don't know for certain yet. You can notice that initially the data for the first hireling were written to another place (orange rectangle).

Update 2:
The value 16 bytes earlier the type of the hireling (so, for example, it's the byte containing value 81 which is just above the byte with value 04 in the red rectangle) determines their reaction, i.e. what they say to you when you click on their portrait. 81 means they don't say anything, I guess it's the normal reaction for an engaged hireling.

Update 3:
Now look at the byte that is located 32 bytes after the byte for the first hireling's type (which value is 04). The value of that byte is 56, and it determines what quote your hireling will utter when you click on the lower item in the hireling's menu (you click on the portrait of the hireling to bring up this menu). 56 is assigned for topic 'Benito Tellman'. The first quote seems to be fixed for each hireling type.

Update 4:
You can also change the name of the hireling - search for the current name in text mode to get to its location in the save game.

Update 5:
By setting the bytes in the purple rectangle (see the updated picture) you can add quest-related menu items to the hireling's menu. For example, changing the value to 03 and 04 adds an item named 'Goblinwatch'. 03 stands for the state 'the quest dealing with Goblinwatch has not been taken', so when you click on the item the hireling acts as if he's giving you this quest (handing you the key to the goblin-infested keep); 04 stands for the state 'the quest dealing with Goblinwatch has already been taken', so when you click on the item you receive the reward if you've done the necessary steps, as if you have just completed this quest.

Update 6:
The bytes between those inside the purple rectangles can also be assigned to add items to the hireling's menu (on gaining skill expretise/mastery, acquiring guild membership) but that doesn't seem to be working properly.
Not sure why I'm going on with this autistic research, it's kinda fun but I could be actually playing this wonderful game all this time...

Update 7:
It turns out that if you set the values in the cyan rectangle to all zeros, the hireling will be removed from your party.

Maybe this will be useful to someone.:|

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I’m kinda regretting taking a cleric. An extra sorcerer with body magic skill would have been infinitely better

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't believe how addictive it is to machine-bow down these cardboard cutout figures. It just doesn't make sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom