Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Didn't someone use some virtual machine software (Scumm?) to solve this exact issue? Could've been Tito Anic. Sorry if it wasn't and I'm bothering you for no reason.

Correct i played game on SCUMMVM, had few issues but not critical ones.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If someone want to read useful information, i think the manual is way more helpful.

This is highly biased, besides, your optimal party = the opposite of fun for someone else.

Final blow : optimization guide for Might & Magic VII ? Really ? Who the fuck would need this, besides the reddit crowd ?

Welcome to the codex ... ;)

ZeltArruin

Barely Literate
Thanks. I'd say I worked hard on it, but it was like using a hammer on a bowl of pudding. :D

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hey guys, I wrote a MM7 Optimal Party Guide and it was suggested to post it here. I've got a few more sections I want to add, but let me know what you think.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eso7VmWTWyL8kKLsgb5lKVRZmIJydaGXltPxzXRvZWc/edit?usp=sharing

Here is the link to the reddit thread about it, if you're interested in that: https://www.reddit.com/r/MightAndMagic/comments/bjyivc/mm7_optimal_party_guide/
Endurance - The most important stat, as HP is crucial to not only not being dead, but having longer runs before having to rest or heal. All characters should start with at least 13 Endurance, if not as much as possible. Dwarves should always max Endurance.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Nigga,the length of exploration is dependant on the players skillz not on endurance. You could clear the whole island without resting.

Dagger - Daggers are the best weapon to use if you can GM them. They are useful for anyone to allow them to dual wield, such as Sorcerers in order to give them an offhand item to confer an enchantment bonus. They scale very well with skill points at GM due to adding hit, damage, and critical chance. It is trivially easy to reach the recovery cap with Daggers.

Staff - Pretty bad bonuses at all ranks, clubs are better. Does not play well with unarmed as it basically adds 40 to your recovery time for moderate offensive benefit. If you reach extremely high levels, combining Staff with Unarmed eventually becomes viable, if not the highest DPS combination possible.

:deathclaw:
Mages are useless for fighting,why the fuck would you care about how much damage they do and such shit???? You put on them the best stat/skill increase weapon they can use...most of the time staffs. You spend most of the time having spells like sparks on autocast and don't use normal attack.

Dark - Key Spells: Shrapmetal, Souldrinker, Dragonbreath. Amazing damage. GM this immediately and then continue to dump in points. Shrapmetal is the highest damage spell in the game, and is suitable for one-shotting high HP targets at point blank. Souldrinker is great for keeping your entire party alive when facing numerous foes. Dragonbreath is the best ranged option for dealing with clumps of foes.

:prosper::prosper::prosper:
The dark magic is the most useless for min/maxing score hunt. The damage/mana ratio is garbage and thus makes you teleport/rest a lot more frequently. Its uses are like that of light magic,buff spellz and maybe use for killing of certain enemies.

You should always focus on completing relevant promotion quests as soon as possible, this is even more important for the Sorcerer. In fact, the Wizard promotion should be the top priority if you have a Sorcerer in the party. Knights and Thieves benefit very little from their first promotion quests. There are also benefits to choosing a side and getting your castle fixed up, so prioritizing the Dwarf rescue to start the ‘war clock’ is a good plan to gain access to Celeste and the Pit as soon as possible. This is also true of the Walls of Mist and the Breeding Zone as completing these opens the shops and second floor in your castle. Ultimately, try to complete zones before moving on and work on as many quests at a time as possible.

Ughhh why??? The castle is for roleplaying and fun,as practicality is useless. The shops are also very low quality. If you want high quality you go for the pit and celeste ones,use loyd's beacon to spam between them and you could use the save/load before opening if you are after the points and don't want to waste a week waiting for better selection.

Also the party selection is a pretty :deathclaw:

Balanced party and full magic power party are the best for a score run. A good balanced party could keep up exploring without resting for a lot more time than the other parties,while the spell party blast everything away. A brute party sounds like something you do for the fun of it not for min/maxing,tho i never played it personally.

LoL you must have huge balls to post this in here :) ,a nearly decade old thread with regulars in it. Most people here have played the games for decades now.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Endurance - The most important stat, as HP is crucial to not only not being dead, but having longer runs before having to rest or heal. All characters should start with at least 13 Endurance, if not as much as possible. Dwarves should always max Endurance.

Much better to go to a training hall at the end of the day instead of resting. You will soon get more than one level's worth of XP per day.
Anyway, won't Temples or yellow potions cure fatigue? Or do you have to rest eventually?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Anyway, won't Temples or yellow potions cure fatigue? Or do you have to rest eventually?

You'll die after a couple of days without sleeping. First it's gonna be weakness, then insanity, then death. Nothing won't prevent that. But given all the training & travelling needs and the fact that you're having excess time in the early game because of that stupid timed arbiter quest, it's not really an issue.

Nothing is wrong with max Endurance, though, but what's not mentioned is that it works well because of healer npcs - each one will restore your party to full HPs once a day so having a duo means ez life for a beefcake party. Not as ez as the magical party with their starting +7 to all elemental magic but, well, sometimes you want to play melee so that's that.

Actually, the biggest sin of that guide is that henchmen are not mention when they're quite easy to miss and the majority of the early game power comes directly from them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

You'll die after a couple of days without sleeping. First it's gonna be weakness, then insanity, then death. Nothing won't prevent that. But given all the training & travelling needs and the fact that you're having excess time in the early game because of that stupid timed arbiter quest, it's not really an issue.

Nothing is wrong with max Endurance, though, but what's not mentioned is that it works well because of healer npcs - each one will restore your party to full HPs once a day so having a duo means ez life for a beefcake party. Not as ez as the magical party with their starting +7 to all elemental magic but, well, sometimes you want to play melee so that's that.

Actually, the biggest sin of that guide is that henchmen are not mention when they're quite easy to miss and the majority of the early game power comes directly from them.
You could use shared soul/body spell that equals the HP of all party members. That way you could buff only the knight and spend points on the rest if you go for the balanced team.

ZeltArruin

Barely Literate
Also the party selection is a pretty
Agreed.

LoL you must have huge balls to post this in here :) ,a nearly decade old thread with regulars in it. Most people here have played the games for decades now.
As have I. I guess this isn't high level enough for such people, but anyone who knows that much about the game doesn't need any help getting 'better' at it.

Much better to go to a training hall at the end of the day instead of resting. You will soon get more than one level's worth of XP per day.
fantadomat has a similar comment. I think I should clarify that by resting I mean anything other than slaying enemies/questing/progressing/etc.

Yeah, I need to get on that.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Might & Magic 1
Still working ever so slowly on this one. I'm currently at one of those frustrating parts of the game where the next step in the main quest is unclear and all you can do is explore and figure things out. That's fine; the frustrating part is slowly exploring each of the overworld maps a tiny bit until you get a party wipe at a ridiculously powerful fixed encounter, then reloading and switching to another overworld map, rinse and repeat.

I've been through this before earlier in the game, so I know I'll get to some point where I find some dungeon or whatever that I can somewhat safely explore, level up a couple times, and make a bunch of progress... until I hit the same point again later on of course haha. However, it does make me look back on Wiz 1-3 (and even BT1 [i.e. the REMAKE] to some extent) with fondness in that I could pretty much always make some meaningful progress if I sat down and just put some time into it. The problem with "explore until you find something you can tackle" is that all you get for your efforts until then is the map you've been drawing; that's not inconsequential, but it's also not slowly building your party up as you go along.

Of course, this all comes down to the difference between games that funnel you down a linear (and hopefully well-designed/balanced) path like Wiz and those that give you an entire world to explore at your peril like M&M.

I really have no idea how far I am into M&M1, though I suspect not very far at all. My characters are only level 7/8 and I've got the first quest chain you follow in the towns completed, and I've made progress in several of the quests chains of the Lords. However, beyond some vague clues I have no idea about the next thing I should be doing, which means explore, explore, explore.

Having said all that, it's nice that M&M1 doesn't auto save, so if you get a party wipe you can just shut the game off in rage and not worry about the consequences :)

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Developer
all of this urges me to go again with mm7. If I go assd(dark), how good/bad will casters perform in melee with dual daggers?

Why are you playing dark for melee? I guess you can have the druid rack up his spirit magic to the mark of 30 and that's gonna be like a poor man's Hour of Power but why?

Besides, best combat spell in the game costs 4 MP, IIRC. With right setup, it takes 2-3 casts to kill any monster. Why would you need dual daggers?

Pope Amole II

Developer
Poison Spray. And it's my bad - it's even cheaper than that, costing 2 MP only. Which means the mana management is even easier.

Pope Amole II

Developer
why would i ever go light?

Hour of Power, Day of The Gods, Day of Protection, Paralysis. Why would you ever go light, yeah. Unless you're LARPing in dungeon grinder.

i like versatility. I gues another way of asking question would be: is it a waste to go master daggers

Poison Spray IS versatility as almost no one in the game has any sort of water resistance. But I guess you're the type of player who feels obliged to master everything that he has available just for the sake of mastering it so carry on then.

T. Reich

Arcane
why would i ever go light?

Hour of Power, Day of The Gods, Day of Protection, Paralysis. Why would you ever go light, yeah. Unless you're LARPing in dungeon grinder.

i like versatility. I gues another way of asking question would be: is it a waste to go master daggers

Poison Spray IS versatility as almost no one in the game has any sort of water resistance. But I guess you're the type of player who feels obliged to master everything that he has available just for the sake of mastering it so carry on then.

There is exactly one reason to go daggers in a full-caster party - Eeofol tunnel medusas.
It's mighty fun with a light side caster party, of course.

T. Reich

Arcane
Boooooring!
I'd rather cut everything magic-immune to shreds with lightning-fast attacks that deal 50+ damage. Medusas are made of wet paper anyway.
It's not like I'm in danger of dying, or anything (as a light-side party).

It's like using invisibility in Titans' Stronghold when you can paralyze and poison spray everything inside to death as soon as you find a couple of wands.

T. Reich

Arcane
Well, enjoy your weak-ass party with overpriced (in terms of damage per mana point spent) combat spells and not much else to show for your edginess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom