Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Humanity has risen!, Apr 6, 2010.

?

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

1. Might and Magic: Book I

13 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

22 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

47 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Might and Magic: World of Xeen

143 vote(s)
    24.8%
  5. Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

5 vote(s)
    0.9%
  6. Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

163 vote(s)
    28.3%
  7. Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

102 vote(s)
    17.7%
  8. Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

20 vote(s)
    3.5%
  9. Might and Magic IX

6 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. Might and Magic X

55 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Eggs is eggs Learned

Eggs is eggs
    It's pretty amazing how they honed the same, great style of gameplay in MM1 and 2 and added in VGA graphics, music and mouse support with MM3. I guess the combats got a lot shallower but I didn't miss fighting 66 devil kings and stuff like that in the earlier games.

^ Top  
  2. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    Might & Magic 1
    Slowly catching up to my previous party, this time with much better stats. The early game was much easier, but I'm now noticing how brutal the level scaling is.

I actually starting exploring C2 immediately after I finished exploring Sorpigal, so my characters were a mix of level 1 and level 2, since I didn't grind at all. I had no problems at all with C2, and even was able to walk over to Erliquin and back without issue.

After that, I returned back to Sorpigal, cleared the dungeon there, did some more exploring, and did the first courier quest from Sorpigal to Erliquin. This left me with everyone at level 3 or 4.

Now I'm lucky if I can even walk to Erliquin in one piece lol. It seems every other random encounter (even on "roads") has some mix of clerics, sprites, minor devils, or swarms—and unlike when I was around level 2, the game never lets me run from encounters now. So, any encounter with any of those enemies is basically a party wipe.

I think level 3-5 is pretty rough in this game because the random encounters scale up to enemies with devastating special abilities (clerics: paralyze, swarms+minor devils: AOE attacks, sprites: curse), while you are still basically forced to rely on physical damage since you won't have access to AOE spells until your sorcerer reaches level 6. Sleep is a massive help around party level 1-3, but most of the scaled up enemies are partially or completely resistant to sleep, so that sucks.

I'm trying to avoid just walking around popping fixed encounters to grind levels, so I guess I'm gonna check out the wilderness area south of Erliquin and see if it's not more level-appropriate. I might have to go back to my early game strategy of exploring, fighting/winning one battle, then rushing back to a town to save... at least until I get fireball and things get a lot easier.

[Edit] "I might have to go back to my early game strategy of exploring, fighting/winning one battle, then rushing back to a town to save..."
    ^ This is working well. The area south of Erliquin is not bad, and I was able to explore a bit and get some nice equipment in chests. Meanwhile, I've started marking fixed encounters so I can tell at a glance if I defeated them or need to come back later on.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    Might & Magic 1

Put a few hours into this today, getting really addicted. I had it open all day in the background so I could play while waiting for data for process in between jobs :)

I finally got to level 5 for my sorcerer, so now I have AOE spells, which opens up a ton of the gameworld. Previously impossible fixed encounter squares are now very manageable indeed.

A lucky drop of a flying carpet also meant that I could head to Dusk to continue the quest chain and load up on magic equipment. We are kicking some ass now for real (it will soon end).

I have to say, of all the games I have played from this era, M&M1 is the one where stats are really important early on. The difference between my current party (the pregen party) and the previous one I retired (which I rolled myself with mediocre stats) is night and day. My Paladin and Knight hit more often than not and do great damage, and buffing them with bless and that one SORC spell that buffs might makes them even more powerful. However, the absolute most important thing is to have a sorcerer with a high speed stat so that he gets to go first every round; this makes a MASSIVE difference in your ability to survive tough early battles.

One question:

How does the hermit work in M&M1? When I agree to trade wares, it replaces every single item in the backpack of every single character with garbage. How do you get around that since you'll be carrying around quest items, keys, etc. throughout the game?

I just created an extra character sitting at the inn to hold all my items, and went and took care of this. Is that pretty much the solution?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Strange Fellow Arcane Patron

Strange Fellow
    Yep.
    Don't you have the Fly spell?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    lol I do! I didn't bother checking the spell list in the manual since I remembered all the important spells, and for some reason I was thinking it was a level 4 spell.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Filthy Sauce Savant

Filthy Sauce
    I was thinking about starting up mm8. Are dragons the only 'class' to stay away from if I don't want to break the game?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I thought he only replaced the items for the character in the first slot? It's not all garbage, he does give you items you will need. Best way to deal with him (whether he does trade only one char or all of them) is to make dummy PCs in the inn to hold your stuff then go find him with nothing valuable in your inventory.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    Sceptic
    For some reason he did it to all my characters, not just the first slot (I looked it up after and apparently it's just supposed to be the character in the first slot? so maybe it's a bug). I eventually created a dummy character at the inn to hold my stuff so I could get the pirate maps.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Incendax Augur

Incendax
    Dragons and Dark Elves completely trivialize the early and mid game. Dragons more than Dark Elves of course. Late game everyone gets OP, even the lowly Minotaur.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    8th game is really easy even without a dragon and kinda short comparing to 6 and 7

^ Top  
  11. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Didn't the publishers force an M&M game every year? The length shouldn't be surprising.

^ Top  
  12. KeighnMcDeath Learned

KeighnMcDeath
    Grid Cartographer

I love djoldgames. I recently found this site as i needed mac Xyphus, shadowgate, gemstone warrior, and ultima II.I do love mouse support in games and its a pity rereleases of some games weren't tweaked to use it.
    Macintosh Game Repository

Btw, did anyone like NES MMI? Maybe someone did in all these pages.

Thinking on the earlier posts on mapping games with no automap there is grid cartographer and like programs.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    ^ Top  
  13. KeighnMcDeath Learned

KeighnMcDeath
    I nearly forgot about the turbogfx and super famicon versions.

Why is it some Japanese games have pictures or partial inventories in english and the rest in japanese. Just make bilingual games already.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. No Great Name Cipher

No Great Name
    I played the DOS version from GOG of MM1 and I remember the hermit replacing everyone's inventory with junk items except for those two quest items you need.

^ Top  
  15. KeighnMcDeath Learned

KeighnMcDeath
    I forgot about that dude. Great, a reminder of the hobos/beggars/homeless in the street with carts of crap/junk like a damn wahon train.

^ Top  
  16. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    All games, except X, are dirty cheap on gog today. If anyone still didn't got it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. KeighnMcDeath Learned

KeighnMcDeath
    MMX only on steam? Why the hell didn't gog pick this up?

Steam is having a MMX sale 75% off

Gog is 66% off all heroes & MM1-9

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Efe Scholar

Efe
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    If you get all of them, the discount goes to 85% The GOG ones.

^ Top  
  20. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    It's a Ubi game, Ubi doesn't sell on GOG.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I have all the M&M + Heroes games on GOG with the exception of M&M9. It's 89 cents for me and I still won't pick it up, lol.

• decline decline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Yet you play garbage like mmx....

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    MMX is not garbage.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    Rayman origins is on gog.

^ Top  
  25. MajorMace Learned

MajorMace
    Plus, it's "only on steam but". You need the ubi software on top of steam. And it's a terribly bad one.
    Unlike Epic.

This post was sponsored.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)