Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.5%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.3%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Well, then you keep working hard at your job, so that the legendarily unachievable single stretch marathon MM6-9 LP remains as far as possible from a mortal's grasp.

Luzur

Good Sir
Humanity has risen! said:
Luzur said:
Humanity has risen! said:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7154

Haha, in the poll at Celestial Heaven virtually no one picked III, IV or V.[/quote

i voted MMIII

but those guys are M&M6-8 younglings, mostly, its just me and like 2 other guys that promote MM3-5.

EDIT: noticed i typed M&M II instead of III.

Then why don't you try promoting the games instead of letting VI-VIII overshadow everything else? It seems like these guys are practically unaware of their existence.

"OMG you youngsters get off your butts, dust off the M&M pack you got on GOG and try III, IV, and V. Here's why you should..."

You could even post a link to this thread.

I'm playing III right now and I'm so glad I did. It's simple, colorful and so beautiful, and there are a lot more features than in VI.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... 968#289968

good enough?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wyrmlord said:
legendarily unachievable single stretch marathon MM6-9 LP
6-9 is very achievable. As I said a legendary one would be MM1-9 & HOMM1-4 with expansions. That would be epic.

Wulfstand said:
Within 2 seconds of the first video he calls MM1 "Gates to another world" :decline:
Seriously, thanks for the link. This could be fun.

Luzur said:
good enough?
Weird. Your writing style there is completely different.

Luzur

Good Sir
what? its regular RPGcodex GD style.

btw, anyone else installed MM6 with that TCC mod? im on part 2 now and....its got so damn boring, having to trudge through millions of 3500+HP Wyverns, Rocs and Sylphs on empty maps.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Luzur said:

btw, anyone else installed MM6 with that TCC mod? im on part 2 now and....its got so damn boring, having to trudge through millions of 3500+HP Wyverns, Rocs and Sylphs on empty maps.

I'm playing part 1 and loving it, but I've already planned to forfeit part two. Looks like a stupid ego trip over a boring endless ocean. Even those who enjoy it make it sound dreadful : "OMG zillions of dragons ! Teh fun !".

Tails

Arbiter
MM3 is pretty awesome, for a simple dungeon crawler. Yet the worst thing is inventory system, and overall shopping. It's just irritating that I need to enter shop and identify item, like normal sword to get exact statistics. Equipping & removing also is badly done. The game maybe was released in 1991, but still, simple inventory improvements, like allowing player to check weapon stats, remove equipped item when switching to different one from same category, should be rather obvious for Devs.

Luzur

Good Sir
Lonely Vazdru said:
Luzur said:

I'm playing part 1 and loving it, but I've already planned to forfeit part two. Looks like a stupid ego trip over a boring endless ocean. Even those who enjoy it make it sound dreadful : "OMG zillions of dragons ! Teh fun !".

imagine bigs maps (put together Blackshire and Freehaven into one map) and fill it with trees, rocks and ALOT of enemies (like 20 in every enemy group and also very close to eachother so you get 40+ enemy hordes coming at you) and no gold, food or loot anywhere, or civilization .

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Tails said:
MM3 is pretty awesome, for a simple dungeon crawler. Yet the worst thing is inventory system, and overall shopping. It's just irritating that I need to enter shop and identify item, like normal sword to get exact statistics. Equipping & removing also is badly done. The game maybe was released in 1991, but still, simple inventory improvements, like allowing player to check weapon stats, remove equipped item when switching to different one from same category, should be rather obvious for Devs.
I can't think of any CRPG that had all these features in 1991 so I guess I can forgive MM3's UI, and besides it's still simpler to use than some highly acclaimed games from the 2000s. I stopped needing to identify items after a while, since you eventually figure out what each prefix does and the bonus provided by each material. And equipping works alright, items being automatically removed would've been pretty stupid for things like rings when you can equip up to 8 of them.

Luzur said:
Yeah but you don't usually write in regular GD style (thankfully).

Luzur said:
imagine bigs maps (put together Blackshire and Freehaven into one map) and fill it with trees, rocks and ALOT of enemies (like 20 in every enemy group and also very close to eachother so you get 40+ enemy hordes coming at you) and no gold, food or loot anywhere, or civilization .
That sounds dreadful. How does part 1 compare?

Luzur

Good Sir
Luzur said:

sometimes i step out of my serious dress and go wild, thats all.

Luzur said:

That sounds dreadful. How does part 1 compare?

feels like a new game, new monsters, new NPCs, new quests, the works.
its still the same game area-wise, New Sorpigal is still New Sorpigal.

too bad BDJ didnt change some of that, since he can clearly create new maps.

had to use a editor and cheat myself way high stats/skills and blaster rifles, so i could fly around with guns blazing at all those hordes in part 2, there is so much enemies its the only way you can survive for longer periods while searching for something to click.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Luzur said:
Luzur said:

sometimes i step out of my serious dress and go wild, thats all.

mm13.jpg

fu-manchu-Pappa.jpg

DaveO

Erudite
I'm unemployed and likelier a better candidate for a MM6 thru MM8 LP session. I also was part of the MM8 Lord Brinne Tribute. I've held off on my MM8 character creation video due to my Wizard's Crown LP. I'm camped outside Tarmon's Palace for my second run.

P.S. - I'm not a fool and won't attempt a MM9 LP due to the fact that RPGenie has not posted a video for a long time, and I suspect MM9 had a lot to do with him not making any videos.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DaveO said:
I'm unemployed and likelier a better candidate for a MM6 thru MM8 LP session.
THIS IS NOT A PROPER MIGHT AND MAGIC MARATHON. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

I also was part of the MM8 Lord Brinne Tribute.
I'm still impressed that NWC put the Tomb of Lord Brinne in the game, considering the whole thing would have made no sense whatsoever to anyone who wasn't on the forums. They were really in touch with their fans.

Lurkar

Scholar
7 introduced Arcomage, which is pretty much the only enjoyable minigame in any RPG that has ever existed, so it has that going for it.

Cynicus

Augur
Sceptic said:
Cynicus said:
Run install and try the Sound Canvas driver instead of LAPC/MT-32.
I should've been more specific - it's the Sound Canvas option that does this. Works fine with MT-32 option, except I don't have an MT-32 and the emulators don't sound quite right.

Ah, sorry. You had mentioned the MT-32 just before that and I assumed that was the setting you were using. If your sound card supports soundfonts, you could try loading a different GM bank. It might at least make the obnoxious sfx more tolerable if nothing else.

Lurkar said:
7 introduced Arcomage, which is pretty much the only enjoyable minigame in any RPG that has ever existed, so it has that going for it.
Final Fantasy 8 has a fun card mini-game. Really good, especially since you can, of course, collect those cards and find rare ones etc.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Wow. Started M&M6 today.

It sure is :decline: after 3-5. Especially the borked combat system, no races and only 6 classes.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor said:
Wow. Started M&M6 today.

It sure is :decline: after 3-5. Especially the borked combat system, no races and only 6 classes.

Burn in hell heretic.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
It might seem so, but the previous ones weren't too complicated in the first place (especially compared to wizardry).
M&M6 has 3d (say what you must, i find it a drastic improvement to cell-scape games), interesting gameplay, lots of great dungeons, great and balanced spell system (apart from light&dark magic, which is gimped) and a sense of epicness. I think this is my favourite. Part 7 may have more classes, races and great light/dark path, but invisibility kinda broke the game.
M&M8 is pretty meh, 9 is crap.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
These things are declined over 3-5, yes. The skill system is also borked and will be fixed in 7. But it has a very nice world design (much better than 7's) and the best dungeons in the series. Since M&M is pretty much all about exploring an interesting world and dungeon crawling...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sceptic said:
Since M&M is pretty much all about exploring an interesting world and dungeon crawling...

It would be all fine and dandy if the combat wasn't so broken, which is mostly due to the 3D. Enemies attacking me through walls is annoying. The fact that the monsters have kinda retarded AI which can be exploited ridiculously easy is also pretty stupid. I also fucking hate the fact that you CAN'T MOVE IN TURN-BASED MODE (or am I fucking missing something here?) which makes engaging enemies that are standing a little behind the stuff you currently killed counter-intuitive and just plain annoying.

Meh, another thing that is kinda sucky is that the game lost its nerdy charm that was present in large numbers in the previous parts. I mean, what are the first monsters you met in 3-5? Moose rats, bubblemen and shitloads of other completely over the top enemies followed soon. Here? Goblins, bats, spiders, mages. MEH. Give me back my iron wizards.

SkeleTony

Augur
Might & Magic VII easily for me. Nostalgia aside, it had the best graphics(which are of little import except to say that one of the great things about NWC's (Heroes of)M&M games is the atmosphere...the unparalleled music + the look of their better games.
Dungeon design was pretty damned good, the game system(debuting in M&M 6) was better than most CRPG systems, multiple races(that M&M 6 lacked), fun classes.

Just the overall FEEL of the game is remarkable! Running around from one city/zone to another looking for the elusive "master" and "grandmaster" skill trainers while completing quests...just a great game.

Archibald

Arcane
Can we track down and maim those 2 faggots who voted for IX?

I`m more of a homm fan and 6-8 had closer relationship with it so i prefer those and obvioously 7 is the best one. I remember launching it just to play some acromage matches, can`t say that i launched any other game just to play its minigame for 1-2 hours. 6 was good but imo 7 did almost everything better and 8, well 8 had some intereseting ideas but blew them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom