Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Nature of The Codex - 2010 Top 5 Results

Shannow

Waster of Time
mister_matt said:
I joined these forums a couple days ago, and I'm finding myself questioning what makes a game an RPG. Why is oblivion seen as complete horse shit, but the buggy mess known as Arcanum is part of the 'holy trinity' of role playing games?
So you stipulate that Arcanum is not an RPG because it is very buggy and Oblivion is an RPG and not horse shit because it is buggy?

I suppose if I didn't cut this bullshit short I would eventually arrive at something like this: Why is it that the top five stays the same?
Because no better RPGs are released. Obviously.
What is it about these games that I am missing?
It's nothing in the games you are missing. You just lack taste have different preferences. Obviously.

mister_matt

Educated
back to sportforredneck said:
They claim it is Choices and Consequences that make an RPG. But it's bullshit. Because classic RPGs don't have C&C really. Nothing that big really. Even new stuff doesn't either. I say that stats have something to do with an RPG. It just does. I mean shit, name one RPG without stats. Not all games with stats are RPGs but all RPGs have stats. That's just one part of an RPG, but stats is one. Maybe an emphasis on story is another? Changeable equipment and other customizable options. Stuff like that can all be parts of it. But not always required. One part that is basically required is stats though. And my personal preference is customization.

I think at the basic level we can all agree that there are stats, and the participation in a story of some kind, where we, the player, of course, assume a role in the events of said story. That's a pretty big umbrella, but I think it's a start.

I don't we are going to see any games, ever, that are purely C&C. There's already a game with that: real life. It has stats too.

I guess for me, it's 'stats', character building, and a story that makes a game into a role playing game. Those are the three main points, but they come with a pretty large list of finer ones, I'm sure. As far as my different preferences go, I'm sure that is probably a factor as well.

mister_matt

Educated
Shannow said:
mister_matt said:
I joined these forums a couple days ago, and I'm finding myself questioning what makes a game an RPG. Why is oblivion seen as complete horse shit, but the buggy mess known as Arcanum is part of the 'holy trinity' of role playing games?
So you stipulate that Arcanum is not an RPG because it is very buggy and Oblivion is an RPG and not horse shit because it is buggy?
No, I'm just trying to figure out why it is held in such high esteem by so many people.

Turjan

Arcane
mister_matt said:
No, I'm just trying to figure out why it is held in such high esteem by so many peopleCodexers.
Fixed it. I doubt many people even heard of the game.

But yes, a short summary would probably nice, even if the board is full of Arcanum threads :).

I like Arcanum because I find it fun and it provided me with actual feeling and interest in what was happening. I made a choice that made a follower hate me and attack me (and thus die), and I truly felt bad for it. He fought for something he believed in and that I believe is right too, but I didn't think I could live through choosing the other option. I chose pragmatism over ideology and it hit me in a big way.

I didn't put it in my top though because I haven't finished it. I know, herp derp, but I just haven't yet.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
That's a very good list, though I find putting Arcanum above games like Fallout 2 a bit :retarded:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Volourn said:
Call me a douche. A moron. A fanboy. A ool. An idiot.

Volly, dear, I would never, ever accuse you of such. You are and always will be a pretty princess, and I suspect no one shall ever come more close to defining anything in the whole world with two words, than DU did the day he gave you that tag :)

Although I do believe, as I said upon my arrival, that Skyway deserves one too.

Shannow

Waster of Time
mister_matt said:
Shannow said:
mister_matt said:
No, I'm just trying to figure out why it is held in such high esteem by so many people.
Then I suggest you look at some Arcanum threads and some Oblivion threads. It's not like we don't already have hundreds of those :roll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Volourn said:
NWN, btw, is the only REAL RPG on that fuckin' list.
Hey Volly, I've seen you write DA>BG2 numerous times so why were NWN, FO2, and BG2 the only titles on your list? What made you change your mind?
mister_matt said:
Could someone clue me in?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13369 Read everything. It should probably have a quest-compass-like "every new person should click this" disclaimer.

I think Arcanum's a nearly above-average title because of its plethora of potential character builds, multiple quest solutions, city adventuring, mostly wide open exploration, and concise moderately-well-written dialogue. It also has a lot of frustrating features, odd or just plain terrible design decisions, and too many boring dungeons so I can understand its lack of appeal for others.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Grunker said:
than DU did the day he gave you that tag :)

VD gave him that tag, not DU. Just FYI.

Shannow said:
Anyway, Jaesun put everything together so nicely, can we sticky this?

The other polls were not stickied, so no reason to sticky this one. We will bitch about shit as usual, then this thread will just fade away, like a bad memory.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
mister_matt said:
Shannow said:
mister_matt said:
"Arcanum was definitely the best RPG of the decade (and coincidentally the best RPG ever made, period), beating the competition by a large margin. It was Troika's game of passion, a game that truly redefined RPGs by showing just how much is possible, if developers focus on gameplay instead of graphics for a change. Unfortunately, this innovative approach didn't really work out for Troika, but taught a valuable lesson to other developers, which is why a 9 year old game is still the best RPG of the decade.

Like any other great and ambitious game, it had its share of flaws and was by no means perfect, but overall the game delivered a lot more than any other RPG ever did:

- unique steampunk setting with an interesting magic vs technology angle
- huge, well developed, open world with over 60 locations
- detailed skill-based character system: 8 stats, 16 skills, 80 spells, and 56 technological degrees to choose from.
- superb and unsurpassed crafting system
- non-linear, rich and complex story that doesn't revolve around you being a chosen one, even though the game let's you play this angle if you want to
- massive dialogue trees loaded with checks and reflecting more options and choices that you thought was humanly possible.
- plenty of alternative ways, multiple quest solutions, and various consequences
- Gamespot: "Also, if by chance you're not paying close attention to what's being said, you'll find that completing some of the quests in the game will prove very difficult."

It doesn't get any better than that, does it?"

mister_matt said:
I guess for me, it's 'stats', character building, and a story that makes a game into a role playing game.
So adding adjustable stats to any game with a story makes it an RPG? Role-playing is more than increasing stats and skills between cutscenes.

Destroid

Arcane
mister_matt said:
I don't we are going to see any games, ever, that are purely C&C. There's already a game with that: real life. It has stats too.

Actually, there are a lot of little games people have made that consist of no other gameplay apart from choice and consequnce. It's basically a choose your own adventure.

Infact, The Barbarian is running (perhaps it is finished? I didn't read it all yet) one such game over in Codex Playground.

This model is often used for political style games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
mister_matt said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
mister_matt = drog?

No.

Your first post was about Linux games that don't use hardware acceleration, because apparently your legs are broken and you can't walk to a near by store and pick up even a cheep video card.

You then explain you were raised on jRPG's then single out Arcanum and wonder why it is such a great RPG.

You don't really need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
mister_matt said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
mister_matt = drog?

No.
pinocchio1.gif

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Hey Volly, I've seen you write DA>BG2 numerous times so why were NWN, FO2, and BG2 the only titles on your list? What made you change your mind? "

You obviously didn't bother to understand my posts on the subject. Comprehension takes more than reading. It takes intelligence - soemthing the Codex lacks going by the list.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
He only wrote DA>BG2 to antagonize the DA hate. Always so antagonizing, our Volly. In his heart he knows very well that BG2>DA, heck you can't even play a dwarven fighter/cleric in DA.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It doesn't get any better than that, does it?"

Yes, yes, it does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom