Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

bussinrounds

Augur
Has anyone played this Doom classic complete on the ps3 ?

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_Classic_Complete

Haven't played it but I know that the Xbox version comes with a new episode called No Rest for the Living which I'm told is pretty nice.

It doesn't seem to be included with the Ps3 version

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/No_Rest_for_the_Living
Looks like the PS3 version does have this.

What they should of done was added the PS1 ambient music for Doom/Final Doom. They had the better soundtracks if I recall.

Just found em:smug:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Best Games Of The Generation by Tim Willits

TimWillits_zpsc45662b9.png

:negative:
At least he likes Little Big Planet.

ID said:
Fast-paced combat against multiple enemies at once - Doom 3 this ain't.

Go fast. "Doom is not about about taking cover" said executive producer Marty Stratton.

"We'll talk about the fast paced competitive multiplayer later"
:thumbsup:

Oh wait:
ID said:
"Demo was played with an Xbox controller on a PC"
:negative:

Enemies with HUEG hitboxes confirmed.

Perkel

Arcane
It is kind of funny how the original Doom plays perfectly fine on a gamepad, but nobody tries to make a similar game for consoles. Instead they try to ape Half-Life, which was designed with mouse controls in mind from the ground up.

I don't think you noticed but FPS games main platform is not PC but consoles.
Thread name has been updated appropriately.

Offtop.

Does RPGcodex is looking to support WebM format ?

Roderick

Savant
level design will probably make or break this, so without mod support (which i'm guessing it will probably not have), it won't be very good. And i don't know if the new crazy maneuvers/jumps will all be for the better in a DOOM game, same with the brutal DOOM copying (and I love Brutal DOOM but it doesn't replace the original DOOM for me)

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It is kind of funny how the original Doom plays perfectly fine on a gamepad, but nobody tries to make a similar game for consoles. Instead they try to ape Half-Life, which was designed with mouse controls in mind from the ground up.

I don't think you noticed but FPS games main platform is not PC but consoles.

It's great that you made this astute observation for me bro, but I am somewhat puzzled as to how it relates to my original post.

Renegen

Arcane
On a related question, what are some good Doom-style games besides the first Serious Sam and Painkiller?

Perkel

Arcane
Do i need to spell it for you ?

Because Doom is considered shit game on many levels now.
Run and Gun gameplay is considered shit design worthy of mobile games.

And the most important part of it. Doom was never big on consoles. IT was THE game of PC back then (even if 99% were pirated).
So no console gamer cares about that kind of gameplay.

Perkel

Arcane
On a related question, what are some good Doom-style games besides the first Serious Sam and Painkiller?

There are no good doom like games.

Serious Sam is completely different genre.
Painkiller is in doom genre but it doesn't hold up after years (i loved it).

Astral Rag

Arcane

You probably just forgot to list Quake 1. I wouldn't really put SS and Painkiller in the Doom-style category, they have "Quake-like" gunplay but are seriously lacking in the interesting level design department.

If you want other FPS with great level design play Duke3D and Blood1

Obviously there are also other great id Tech 1 games, Raven's Heretic for example.

edit: There are many great custom Doom and Quake maps but I feel Doom the Way id Did and Doom 2 the Way id Did deserve a mention here as they were designed to mimic the style of the original games.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_the_Way_id_Did

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_2_the_Way_id_Did

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Well if you count Q1 there is always Duke Nukem 3D.

edit:

I find it fascinating how good lvl design is in DN3D after all these years.

Perkel

Arcane
No way SS:TFE is doom like game.

SS is basically shoot things in closed flat room or in big open flat space.
SS is fun but let's not put it in other genre that it is.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Renegen

Arcane
Thanks guys, I'm going to replay Heretic...

wait, no. I'm going to sadly contemplate what became of the FPS genre, and then replay Doom 3.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Do i need to spell it for you ?

Because Doom is considered shit game on many levels now.
Run and Gun gameplay is considered shit design worthy of mobile games.

And the most important part of it. Doom was never big on consoles. IT was THE game of PC back then (even if 99% were pirated).
So no console gamer cares about that kind of gameplay.

If you think this is what you wrote earlier, then yes, I think you would benefit from spelling things out a bit more. As in, write what you actually mean clearly instead of some unrelated bullshit.

On that note:

Painkiller is in doom genre

Is what you mean here perhaps "Painkiller plays nothing like Doom"? I wouldn't want to misunderstand again bro.

zwanzig_zwoelf

So they're ripping off Brutal Doom and not Hideous Destructor?
:decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom