Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Let Doom die.

But it will live forever in time as a zombified corpse, even wearing the face of the original DOOM.

If there's one thing that always rubs me wrong its a sequel that takes the same name as the original. If the new game is shit it's pissing on the corpse of a classic and even if its good (it won't be) it's a pita to distinguish in speech.

iqzulk

Augur
Finishers? Doublejumps? Huge (and inventive? what? for Christ's sake, that's DooM we're talking about!) weapons? What?

Also, I don't understand why, after Carmack had left, id/Beth didn't try to just rehire all the "old guard" (Hall, Romero, Adrian Carmack, Wilbur, Kevin Cloud, if he has already been fired, Paul Steed, etc.), Carmack has personally managed to oust from the company in the first place. I mean, it's barely even id at this point, more like "Tim Willits' little derpityland". I mean, rehiring at least some of those guys and giving them something like 30 people in order to create some sort of experimental "vertical slice" prototype of something new (and with maximum openness to and active communication with the community), while the main part of the team would still be working on, say, DooM reboot, would be one way to save id's face even if DooM plants itself head first right into the ground. AND, as I've said before, it would at least be clear, just why that place is still called "id" and not "TWLD" (see above). The only other option for "id", should DooM end up a total failure, I fear, is being renamed to "idTech5 engine support house" by Beth and being done with the games for good.

Last edited:

iqzulk

Augur
I sure hope so. Tim Willits' persona doesn't inspire any confidence in me though. Whatsoever. Nope, not even a hint.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Also, I don't understand why, after Carmack had left, id/Beth didn't try to just rehire all the "old guard" (Hall, Romero, Adrian Carmack, Wilbur, Kevin Cloud, if he has already been fired, Paul Steed, etc.), Carmack has personally managed to oust from the company in the first place.

Why would they want to? Did they get the team that made Daggerfall for Skyrim?

iqzulk

Augur
And that is why I despise you.
Don't care about that as well. The only Beth game I happen to really like is Battlespire. Sadly, it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

Last edited:

Renegen

Arcane
Not sure Bethesda is the type of company that believes in its employees and surrounding them with talent and all that jazz. They just bring an idea from the top down and expect it to be made.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
^^^ According to my AV, dat page tries to load a potential virus from http://a.pomf.se/owbums.png

See if it gets flagged for you.

_____

In other news, Tyrant Carmack's departure may be breathing life into the company's projects.

But if the game has proper co-op campaign with loading and saving, I'll let you tear my arms off and beat me with them. Because it won't. Nothing does anymore.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The game is called Doom, not Doom 4. It's an origin game, reimagining everything about the originals."--Stratton

Same case as Tomb Raider or Thief? no thx

Even promises of return to the roots are not convincing when (1.) best people abandoned the shit (2.) modern gaming won't leave it untouched by their filthy dark powers.

No Linux version?
:killit:
When Linux become user friendly aka usable for mere mortals who are not IT workers.

Astral Rag

Arcane
TimWillits_zpsc45662b9.png

:hmmm:

also:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...r-picks-for-best-games-of-the-generation.aspx

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Ugh, the GameInformer preview advertisement is so fucking terrible. Now wonder nobody takes games journalism seriously. You had to pick through all the gushing to find anything of worth and all I could take from it is that it has a weapon wheel, so it is obviously aimed at consoles just as we expected.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
From IGN's preview:

• Fast-paced combat against multiple enemies at once - Doom 3 this ain't.
  • Set outside a massive UAC research facility on Mars as it's being invaded by the forces of Hell.
  • Hellknights, cyberdemons, revenants, mancubii, and other classic monsters were spotted throughout the demo.
  • Classic Doom weapons, including the fan-favorite double-barrell shotgun return. Plasma rifle, rocket launcher, and the good old chainsaw were also shown off.
  • Go fast. "Doom is not about about taking cover" said executive producer Marty Stratton.
  • Doom is powered by IdTech 6, and will be for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. They are "committed" to 1080P at 60 frames-per-second.
  • Wonderfully gory close range executions, including special ones for dropping down on enemies from above.
  • Revenants now have jetpacks and can hover about while firing rockets at you.
  • At least one weapon, the combat shotgun, has an alternate fire mode, which allows you to charge up and release multiple shells in rapid succession.
  • Sprinting, double-jumping and mantling are all possible, making for very fluid motion during combat.
  • Enemies can teleport in for old-school style ambushes
  • Dying results in a crazy fatality scene depending on what killed you a la Dead Space. Revenants rip your arms off and punch straight through your combat helment.
  • Old school mechanics. No reloading your clip, hold as many weapons as you want, health and ammo pick-ups etc. NO REGENERATING HEALTH.

The bold parts all make me happy. Some of the other stuff sounds like it could be fun, as well. If "Wonderfully gory close range executions" means specific death animations instead of the usual lame ragdolls, I'm all over it.

I'm positive, overall. The only thing missing, on paper, is complex levels with lots of secrets.

Of course, a bunch of good sounding features doesn't mean the game will be good, but it seems they're going for the right thing.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
That sounds like Brutal Doom to me which is a bit odd, basing the next Doom on a rather dividing mod is a weird thing to do. Anyways that does sound already better than the new Wolfenstein. Revenants with jetpacks? *woosh* *AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*

Astral Rag

Arcane
"Update: It’s over. You can read all about it below, though. The short version: it’s Doom, but with ludicrously violent, ultra-fast melee finishers. Not even sure if Bulletstorm was on this level in that respect. Otherwise? It looks ok. Fast combat, linear levels, emphasis on madcap action over scares."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/18/doooooooooooooom/

Yeah that sounds like Doom alright :roll:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
That sounds like Brutal Doom to me which is a bit odd, basing the next Doom on a rather dividing mod is a weird thing to do.

Hopefully it's nothing like Brutal Doom. Brutal Doom is an "everything and the kitchen sink" mod created by what appears to be enthusiastic teenagers. It is a schizophrenic Adderall-fueled mess that destroys the elegance and playability of the original design. Looks great in videos and plays like camel dung.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Update: It’s over. You can read all about it below, though. The short version: it’s Doom, but with ludicrously violent, ultra-fast melee finishers. Not even sure if Bulletstorm was on this level in that respect. Otherwise? It looks ok. Fast combat, linear levels, emphasis on madcap action over scares."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/18/doooooooooooooom/

Yeah that sounds like Doom alright :roll:
linear levels
linear levels
linear levels
:nocountryforshitposters:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sounds way too good to be true. Can't really be surprised by linear levels but the rest of it... might even be worth 50% off instead of the usual 75%!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom