Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New World Update #24 - The Wasteland

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7540.0.html

The desolation known as the Wasteland, a span of decks torn apart by the unfathomably destructive weapons of Old Earth, was called Mission Control in better times. This was the Ship Authority's domain, an impregnable stronghold and the seat of power.

The mutineers’ attack was months in the making, a decisive, disabling strike at the electronic heart of their world. It should have been over in less than an hour, but such things rarely go as planned. The Ship Authority was made of harder stuff than anticipated and the first assault was driven back.

In the following months of attack and counterattack, the mutineers’ failure to quickly secure the complex cost them much in lost lives and spent firepower. When forced to surrender ground, both sides adopted a policy of destroying anything not of immediate use, so as to deny it to the enemy.

Though the mutineers were able to ultimately capture and hold key positions across several decks, the complex had been gutted and irreplaceable resources lost. Too late they would discover that during the protracted struggle over Mission Control, Ship Authority loyalists in the Habitat had firmly entrenched their position, preparing to fight to the last man and woman. And child, should it prove necessary.

Weakened and shocked by the brutality of Mission Control’s demise, the mutineers weren’t eager to unleash the same horrors on the Habitat. A truce was offered under the pretext that the Ship Authority was finished anyway and there was no reason to waste lives trying to speed up the inevitable. Yet the same inferno that purged the old order also forged the new. The Protectors of the Mission were destined to reclaim everything their predecessors had lost. They would take it all in the end, whatever the cost.

Decades later, deteriorating conditions at home began to drive explorers and treasure seekers farther and farther afield, until a lucky group wandered into the fringes of that fabled battlefield. When the first news trickled back of decks littered with the technological marvels of Old Earth, the scavengers swarmed like maggots devouring a carcass.

Inside of a month, the first two decks were swept clean, but moving deeper into the seemingly bottomless ruins was a more daunting challenge. The entire zone was unpowered and bitterly cold; portable lamps provided the only light. Fused doors and warped bulkheads made a maze of the original corridors and descending to the lower levels, now accessible only through jagged holes in the decking, was a treacherous proposition. Add in the traps left by the long-dead defenders of Mission Control, or by ‘prospectors’ hoping to dissuade the competition, and more often than not it was a one-way trip.

Once the easy pickings had been gathered up and sold, the less principled scavs decided it was easier, and healthier, to let someone else take the risks. And so a new tradition was born: ambushing the suckers returning to the 'surface' with their relics.

Yet those who survived the dangers of both the Wasteland and their murderous colleagues returned with accounts of more than just mummified soldiers and half-melted energy rifles. They told tantalizing stories of security doors with still charged and fully operational turrets, of functioning retinal scanners blocking access to forbidden vaults, and of the Holy Grail itself: the Admin Center, the very brain of the Ship, sealed from within at the height of the Mutiny and never breached. They also spoke of cadavers seemingly unharmed but drained of blood, of mysterious floating lights more terrifying even than the darkness of the void, and of Beelzebub himself. Called Ol’ Bub for short, this terrifying beast was said to dwell deep within the ruined complex, and to feed on any weary prospector foolish enough to let his guard slip.

With the Wasteland our goal is to create a proper, thematically-fitting 'dungeon' with the following features:

1. The focus is on exploration not combat. Navigating the dungeon, finding a way past the obstacles and into the deeper levels is more important than killing monsters and clearing levels.

2. Non-linear with multiple directions and goals. While the Admin Center is the top prize, there are lesser 'prizes' located in different parts of the complex. None of these locations will be easy to get to, because the lore says that many prospectors tried to find these places for years, so you can’t just waltz in, but unlike AoD’s Abyss which had a single path to the central chamber and required a very specific build, there will be multiple ways supporting different stats and skillsets.

3. You’ll be frequently stopped by some obstacles (such as a retinal scanner, for example, or poisonous gas, or tough enemies, humans or otherwise) and would have to leave and return later when you acquire what you need. In other words, you won’t blast though the entire 'dungeon' in one go.

4. Every dungeon needs some enemies and they will come in two varieties: humans (rival prospectors, thugs looking for easy money, the Regulators if you piss them off) and creatures. While every RPG and every dungeon need some 'monsters' we believe that in this setting less is more, so the entire game will have 5-6 mutated creatures and we won’t throw them at you the way we did in Dungeon Rats but handle it very differently and hopefully more memorably.

So, ol’ Beelzebub is a one such enemy. First, you’ll hear the tales, so it won’t be just some creature waiting for you in an empty hallway:

"Guess who got caught with his pants down last night? Big Jim Wilson! Him and his boys got themselves grabbed in flagrante at the whorehouse. They didn’t even get a chance to squeeze off a shot," chuckles the Magistrate. "Best get ready for trial. If half of what I’ve heard is halfway true, it’s going to be a wild ride.

"Story goes that Jim’s the only person alive to do a dance with old Beelzebub and come back mostly in one piece. I heard when he crawled into the prospectors’ camp –literally crawled, on his hands and knees– the left part of his face was missing. Flesh just hanging there like torn rags."
"What do you mean Beelzebub? Like the devil from the Bible?"

"Well, here’s what the Good Book says: the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

"Ol’ Bub is supposed to make his home in the Mission Control complex, which around here is about as close as you can get to a bottomless pit. He’s supposed to be a giant serpent, thick as a Factory transformer, and fast as he is huge. Likes to swallow folks whole, ‘cept for Jim. Guess there’s a reason they call him ‘Big’."

Then you’ll have your first encounter. Odds are, you’ll have two options:

- sacrifice a party member and run away (I know, I know, you’d never do that but this option will make a lot more sense in the, um, heat of the moment)
- fight it off

Then you’ll decide if you really want to go after it. Keep in mind that dead party members tend to stay dead instead of getting up after the fight is over, so if you really want to get that trophy, you’ll have to pay the blood price. Coincidentally, that’s why I dislike different difficulty levels. You want to take it easy? Then avoid tough fights. Problem solved. You want to be a mighty hero? Earn it.

5. If you do manage to find a way into the Admin Center, it will affect the endings (extra options, pre-req. for a different ending, etc.)

Some concept art:

H9XedDP.jpg

^ The prospectors' camp near the entrance

LsKekt7.jpg

^ an eye implant in mint condition, only one previous owner

7zUoY5M.jpg

^ the lower levels

Sacrificing a party member before the fight as a player option before engaging the fight?
If yes, that sounds very Miltiades manner : "Come with me my friend, there's something I would like to show you". I wonder how the other party members (assuming the party is bigger than PC+1 character) will react to that. Some may approve (specially if they disliked the poor "victim") or not. Could be amazing. An interesting option a lone wolf character won't meet.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller said:
The focus is on exploration not combat. Navigating the dungeon, finding a way past the obstacles and into the deeper levels is more important than killing monsters and clearing levels.
Focus on exploration in a colony ship setting seems like a strange choice due to the size of the ship. Fallout/Arcanum exploration was great because the world was quite big (at least there was an illusion of a big world). This ship won't be even as big as Gothic 1 colony unless you'll go the very unrealistic route.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Looks great! I really like the eye implant cadaver concept art.

This ship won't be even as big as Gothic 1 colony unless you'll go the very unrealistic route.

Not necessarily. If you build a ship at the edge of Earth's gravity well rather than inside it, size is a non-issue. The largest craft humanity has realistically envisioned building in the '50s during Orion was about 400 meters in diameter. That's 286 million cubic meters. Mind you, that's not even science fiction, that was a 'we can start building it now if we wanted to' estimate from seventy years ago. TNO's ship is probably a few kilometres on all three axes. You could get lost in that even if it were fully operational.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
The focus is on exploration not combat. Navigating the dungeon, finding a way past the obstacles and into the deeper levels is more important than killing monsters and clearing levels.
Focus on exploration in a colony ship setting seems like a strange choice due to the size of the ship. Fallout/Arcanum exploration was great because the world was quite big (at least there was an illusion of a big world). This ship won't be even as big as Gothic 1 colony unless you'll go the very unrealistic route.
First, I was talking about this particular area, which is essentially a huge building (not that different from any bridge+living quarters towers on container ships). In any given area in any RPG the focus is either on combat (kill everyone to clear the level, i.e. PoE's mega dungeon), stealth (get from point A to point C without being seen), or exploration (the trick is not to get past enemies, one way or another, but find a way deeper/further).

Second, the ship is huge and easy to get lost, as MF said, just continue the logical progression of cargo ships hundreds of years into the future, built in orbit:
Allianz_50_years_of_container_ship_growth_infographic.jpg

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Second, the ship is huge and easy to get lost, as MF said, just continue the logical progression of cargo ships hundreds of years into the future, built in orbit:
This doesn't work that way. Firstly, we're already at the limit of how big cargo ships can be, if only due to the size of the ports/canals (e.g. in Japan the biggest ship can't be longer than 200 m long, bigger ships can come into port but require pilots/other ships to help them). Theoretically they could be much bigger but it wouldn't be economically viable (ports would have to be rebuilt and expanded, same for canals) not only due to infrastructure but also due to mechanical limits (e.g. hull thickness, to withstand water pressure and other forces it has to be thick enough and at some point the power required to move such heavy object would be too big to be economically viable). Secondly, the biggest ships were built in the 70's and nowadays we have much smaller ships.

For space ships these things are even more emphasized, even assuming that they could lift off without any conventional fuel.

Anyway, we will see how that exploration will work, it might be great but so far I'm sceptical.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Remember Goral this area is a no go zone since longtime, so exploration here is fine for me, no matter the size.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Remember Goral this area is a no go zone since longtime, so exploration here is fine for me, no matter the size.
Hmm... I've just got an idea for an RPG - playing as a Liliput (i.e. tiny creature). Then even one house could be a huge location with interesting stuff to do :]. If someone uses that idea gimme dem dolla bills.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This doesn't work that way. Firstly, we're already at the limit of how big cargo ships can be, if only due to the size of the ports/canals (e.g. in Japan the biggest ship can't be longer than 200 m long, bigger ships can come into port but require pilots/other ships to help them). Theoretically they could be much bigger but it wouldn't be economically viable (ports would have to be rebuilt and expanded, same for canals) not only due to infrastructure but also due to mechanical limits (e.g. hull thickness, to withstand water pressure and other forces it has to be thick enough and at some point the power required to move such heavy object would be too big to be economically viable). Secondly, the biggest ships were built in the 70's and nowadays we have much smaller ships.

For space ships these things are even more emphasized, even assuming that they could lift off without any conventional fuel.

Anyway, we will see how that exploration will work, it might be great but so far I'm sceptical.

I assume the ship and its like were build in space and never supposed to land, wouldn't make much sense otherwise

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
This doesn't work that way. Firstly, we're already at the limit of how big cargo ships can be, if only due to the size of the ports/canals ..
But space has no such restrictions so we can expect ship size growth as rapid as that from 1968 to 2018.

These ships will never have to land or lift off as they will move from one orbital station to another (the way container ships move from one major port to another). Smaller ships will load and unload the cargo, and ferry it down, replacing both today's cranes and in-land transportation via the railroad and river ships.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The primary limiter of spaceship size, beyond materials would be heat dissipation/retention (probably the former. Humans generate a decent amount of heat, and space is bad at removing it). However, if you build an elongated ship, that's not impossible to manage.

How's gravity work in this game anyway? Magic gravity generators or spinning bits?

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Hmm... I've just got an idea for an RPG - playing as a Liliput (i.e. tiny creature). Then even one house could be a huge location with interesting stuff to do :]. If someone uses that idea gimme dem dolla bills.
Why not a rat in a dungeon?
No serioulsy, what I meant is that the wasteland area is supposed to be a place full of secrets patiently awaiting some adventurers who would get into it. After all, even AoD has an exploration approach when it's about to discover the hidden lore & history. Exploration can have differents meaning.
Who wants TNW and some of its areas to be as huge as an open world? That would be quite a nonsense. Of course Starfarer must have a reasonnable size too. The question here is in what scale?

Quantomas

Savant
How's gravity work in this game anyway? Magic gravity generators or spinning bits?

That's a critical issue for lots of SF works, because if you could manipulate gravity you would be technologically in an entirely different league.

Spinning can work but the shape and architecture of the ship needs to reflect it. Could be an amazing place to explore though.

hivemind

looks very cool overall but one thing needs clarification imo

is the initial encounter with big B only a thing that happens if you actively like search super spooky places that like imply he might be around or is it more like surprise motherfucker

asking because I think that requiring a party member sacrifice if its the former can feel like pretty bad for a good chunk of the audience

hivemind

also yeah

from balance planning perspective

will beating big B be like mathematically possible for a no companions 4 charisma autismo?

Quantomas

Savant
Leading researchers agree that magic gravity generators are more practical and cost-effective solutions.

It doesn't require all that much.

If you have a ship that spins around its longitudinal axis, you could — for simplicity's sake — have a hollow interior near the axis so that you don't need to deal with low-gravity areas.

You would possibly need to relocate some game locations, because "down" is now towards the hull and in principle the decks don't have hard perimeters as they wrap around like a Civ map.

I wouldn't ditch a hardcore SF setting so readily, because the opportunities that come with it outweigh the impediments by far. Expansions, advanced gameplay, reputation, you name it.

PS
It's a different experience to explore a place in which you are sure that hard rules persist, in contrast to a setting that has surprises.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom