Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ The Noah Caldwell-Gervais Thread

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Tried watching a few of his videos but just like almost every Youtuber he takes too long to get to a point, it's just rambling bollocks, the fuckers need to self edit.
Watch the Tyranny video. The narrative is interesting.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Tried watching a few of his videos but just like almost every Youtuber he takes too long to get to a point, it's just rambling bollocks, the fuckers need to self edit.
Watch the Tyranny video. The narrative is interesting.

He makes some interesting points but over explains them like he's talking to a five year old, and repeats points all throughout. He also almost totally omits gameplay, and focuses far too much on his feelings about the narrative and setting, games are meant to be played.

I got bored shitless after so much waffle about such simplistic issues as the interpretations of justice and law.

He should focus on his points and omit a good bit of the extrapolation, a good well edited script would help.

Lemming42

Arcane
This guy sends me to sleep. His vocabulary is so forced and his videos so long that I can't actually focus past like the three minute mark. I watched his video on Homeworld and, as it ended, I realised I hadn't heard a word he said and that I may or may not have gone to sleep at some point, genuinely couldn't tell.

I like his video about visiting the Fallout locations in real life. His narration about how some crap wooden shed he's found "acts as the epitome of the American dream-turned-nightmare, a stalwart remnant of a forsaken age of broken optimism, standing proud as if unaware that the world has turned and left it behind, echoing the past as if trapped in amber" or whatever the fuck just sort of becomes background white noise as you get to see all the cool locations. His voice actually becomes so droning and impossible to focus on that it ends up sounding like the background ambience in one of Mark Morgan's soundtracks for Fallout, which really adds to the whole video.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
His Rubbish American McGee's Alice video!
Alright let's get down to it.

He believes men are incapable (in an indicating tone that suggests"not allowed") of/to write female characters, especially characters that are beyond just eye candy.
He ties everything back to author, refusing to accept that the character feels as such due to the reasons explained within the narrative itself. Dismisses parts of the writing due to the author not fitting into the category that is allowed to write about such things.
The story has justification for the characters and their actions. As well as the premise. But, refused to be accepted due to either the 'quality' or authors lack of 'eligibility'.

He dismisses things because he wants relatability. Anything he can't relate to, or something specific to women is not allowed to be written by a man, because ofc. how the fuck does he know. What gives him the right! Consultation is a thing that only happens in fantasies ofc.

He calls Alice a Manic Pixie Dream girl, I have no idea how he came to this conclusion as a simple google search would've told him what it was. Regardless let's take the implication as he believes Alice to be American McGee's waifu.
And since ofc. it's a waifu, she cannot be anything her growth and personality suggests her to be because she was created for a Man's satisfaction.
Insisting 'x' character fits into 'y' category because has some traits from 'y' category? And because the author falls into some-other category who isn't allowed to write about 'n' category.

Also, goes on a rant about Sucker Punch movie for 10min. I'll just copy paste the comment from the video here:
"With respect, I think you missed the idea of Sucker Punch.
We, the audience, want to see it because of the promise of sexy girls kickin' ass.
However, all these action sequences happen while the characters are trying to get things from abusive men at the asylum.
In the metaphor, WE are the pervy, exploitative sleezebags. THAT is the Sucker Punch of the title.
Objectification is not liberating, which is why the plan fails." -PavarottiAardvark3

Goddamn self-righteous prick.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
He must've gotten a PS4, but using PS NOW online streaming is not good. I can only imagine how much more annoying it made the QTE's for him like it did for me.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Frickin Story fag. He didn't give one fck about gameplay. And Nu God of War is mature and all that shit. This guy is starting to get on my nerves.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
I remember I used to hate this guy because he seemed like a noob who doesn't understand the importance of game mechanics and systems.
Now I came back to his videos and I'm honestly enjoying them for the different point of view that he presents.
The red dead video is pretty good. Same with GR Wildlands.
And his take on Dark souls games is stellar, in my opinion.
I also like his travelogues.

So basically I changed my opinion completely :)

Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
He's pretty much the only RPG video essay guy who examines narrative and themes beyond a surface level analysis.
His vids on Cyberpunk/Outer Worlds/Andromeda are some of the best critique I've seen of those games, even if I think he's far too forgiving of their respective insipidness.

Ivan

Arcane
Noah has his own thread on the codex? what a legend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom