Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Outer Worlds Documentary by Noclip - Part Three: Building Worlds & Designing Quests

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Daniel Alpert; Megan Starks; Nitai Poddar; Obsidian Entertainment; Paul Kirsch; The Outer Worlds; Tim Cain

The latest episode of Noclip's The Outer Worlds documentary is made up of two parts. The first half is an overview of the game's first few areas, starting from an introduction to Emerald Vale by Nitai Poddar and continuing with a discussion of Groundbreaker and Roseway with Brian Heins and others. That leads into the second half which is about quest design, beginning with the Passage to Everywhere quest on Groundbreaker, where the player has to decide how he's going to acquire a navkey in order to proceed further. Apparently the sheer number of paths available here was the source of a number of bugs. It turns out that the navkey was originally intended to have been sold by Lilya Hagen from Sublight, but Obsidian decided to create the Gladys Culkelly character so that players wouldn't be forced to work with a criminal faction. The episode continues with a look at the C&P Factory quest on Monarch with Megan Starks, and concludes with a few words from Brian about the Tucker Needham and Captain Irion sidequests (which he seems to have brought up in the context of talking about the game's amusing voice acting).

All that stuff is nice, but once again the most interesting part of this episode relates to cut content. Brian Heins reveals that Groundbreaker used to be made up of three separate load zones. Unlike the New Vegas Strip a decade ago, the team was able to merge them into a single area. Unfortunately, that meant the station's bridge had to be cut in order to avoid exceeding console memory limitations, with some of its content relocated to the central promenade. They also had to reduce the number of roaming NPCs on the station and cull them when the player entered side locations. It's disheartening to learn that multiplatform RPGs still suffer from these sorts of issues.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
All that stuff is nice, but once again the most interesting part of this episode relates to cut content.

Perhaps most interesting for you. Again you are sneakily implying that cut content is to blame for this game failing. Not only is it not, of course, but for us with good memory, it's frankly disgusting how often you pull this card with PoE/Numanuma/TOW. You are some kind of an apologetic lawyer of modern RPG failures, le shill extraordinaire.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
These games were conceptual failures, the vision was bad. Simething as cheap as cut content, a missing NPC here and there, has nothing to so with it. It's everyone's favorite excuse.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Really? A documentary? Maybe I'll make a three part documentary.

HarveyBirdman: One Half Bird, One Half Man, One Half Harvey
HarveyBirdman: Observations concerning the increase of manbirdkind
HarveyBirdman: Reloaded

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
This game should, like, change writer team wholly.
Oh, and publicly execute their atrist who made all these acid colors.

The use of color, and the art direction in general, is about the only thing they got right, IMHO.

This game should, like, change writer team wholly.
Oh, and publicly execute their atrist who made all these acid colors.

The use of color, and the art direction in general, is about the only thing they got right, IMHO.

Honestly i couldn't disagree more. I call this style "The Chromatic Aberration Explosion" and it's fucking awful. Remember, a nearly blind man made this game and he insisted it look this way.

Ringhausen

Augur
Unfortunately, that meant the station's bridge had to be cut in order to avoid exceeding console memory limitations
Hmm, PS2 could render crowds like these, but PS4 can't do more than 5 NPCs? Or maybe Obsidian is bad at optimization?
maxresdefault.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Those types of crowds in video games are usually made up of simplified characters with limited AI that don't have a persistent presence in the game world. RPG developers don't seem to be interested in working with that sort of solution. Every character you see is a full-scale NPC.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom