Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Outer Worlds Feature at Game Informer: Hype Control and Combat

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For instance Baldur's Gate was "closed world", because between locations there was nothing except some random boring shit encounters.
Baldur's Gate was open world with loading screens. Most of it connects to a reasonable degree.
So what's "closed world"? What do Cain and Boyarsky mean when they say OW is not going to be open world?

It's a hub based game like KOTOR 1/2 or Mass Effect. You use your spaceship to jump between different maps.

selkin

Liturgist
For instance Baldur's Gate was "closed world", because between locations there was nothing except some random boring shit encounters.
Baldur's Gate was open world with loading screens. Most of it connects to a reasonable degree.
So what's "closed world"? What do Cain and Boyarsky mean when they say OW is not going to be open world?

It's a hub based game like KOTOR 1/2 or Mass Effect. You use your spaceship to jump between different maps.
In BG, you use your adventuring party's legs to move between different maps in a similar way. You click and then the game loads you there. I don't see the difference.
I may be wrong though.

I also think it'd be better to talk about gameplay linearity too.

But anyhow, basically map dimensions and the terminal lines of maps are the building blocks of a game's physical world. Open world is meaningless or shall I say, a wrong concept, as any game with finite map sizes is not open world. Sandbox is a much better term.
Again, BG is not a sandbox game. edit: or it is, but a fucked up shape of sandbox.

Last edited:

imweasel

So, according to this impressions discussion at Game Informer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJxY6tzkHg

... the game is about immigration to a fucked up capitalist society. Also, if I got this right, the player is in the role of an immigrant.

Embrace for impact.
Well, they are from "Commiefornia." They pay taxes out of the ass and enjoy it.

I'd say we help them redistribute wealth from their pockets into ours by visiting the Pirate Bay on release day. :smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It works like BG but the traveling between areas is abstracted.

Trashos

Arcane
But anyhow, basically map dimensions and the terminal lines of maps are the building blocks of a game's physical world. Open world is meaningless or shall I say, a wrong concept, as any game with finite map sizes is not open world. Sandbox is a much better term.
Again, BG is not a sandbox game. edit: or it is, but a fucked up shape of sandbox.

IIRC (it's been days since i watched the interview), Cainarsky said it is "not a sandbox". I was the one who commented here that it is not open-world like New Vegas. So maybe I confused you for no reason.

Anyway, the point is that it is not the same structure of world as New Vegas. I expect that New Vegas fans are going to be disappointed, if this is not communicated effectively in the marketing campaign. Which it probably won't be.

Viata

Arcane
Those slow motion cams after your partner kills a monster reminds me so much of Bethesda Fallout I fail to see why the fuck would they do something like this. The trailer looks like another Bethesda Fallout.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Those slow motion cams after your partner kills a monster reminds me so much of Bethesda Fallout I fail to see why the fuck would they do something like this. The trailer looks like another Bethesda Fallout.

Because after failing to be Bioware 2.0 they now want to be Bethesda 2.0?

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
More like because they think it is 'cool'. There should be an option to turn it off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom