Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Outer Worlds Feature at Game Informer: Rapid-Fire Interview with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The answer to the 60 FPS question is a bit alarming. Tim needs to be up to date, a console game that does not have 60 FPS will fall behind. The only reason id Software's Rage is playable is because it has high FPS. In my opinion.

So either The Outer Worlds will be a great RPG and ppl won't give a fck about the action aspect, or it'll be a great RPG and a great action game as well.
:hmmm:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-fallout-4-performance-analysis

Not many people care when it comes to RPGs.

Vityaz

Augur
Obsidian games run fine for the most part. New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3, South Park, Pillars, KOTOR2 all ran fine for me when they launched, perf-wise.

Yeah same here.

I don't want to sound like an apologist or something (since I am well aware of the reputation OBS has for bugs), but of all their games in past 25 years, only AP gave me some problems and that was just dissapearing enemies in first level upon loading the game.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I don't want to sound like an apologist or something (since I am well aware of the reputation OBS has for bugs), but of all their games in past 25 years, only AP gave me some problems and that was just dissapearing enemies in first level upon loading the game.
That reputation is a bit of a myth too tbh. Of the games I listed, KOTOR2 was not really buggy but was unfinished, and NV was buggy at launch because 18 month devtime combined with gamebryo, the rest was fine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

ArchAngel

Arcane
That reputation is a bit of a myth too tbh. Of the games I listed, KOTOR2 was not really buggy but was unfinished, and NV was buggy at launch because 18 month devtime combined with gamebryo, the rest was fine.
Nwn2 was also a bugfest at launch and for a long time after.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Nwn2 was also a bugfest at launch and for a long time after.
Sure, I never played that one.

ozymandiusz

Novice
what is wrong with that steam punk shit? women who look like men and men who look like pussies.

1/10

Obsidian games run fine for the most part. New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3, South Park, Pillars, KOTOR2 all ran fine for me when they launched, perf-wise.

Yeah same here.

I remember when Kotor 2 was so buggy that patchfining on Dantooine didn't work in some places. If you entered some of those zones your character was not rotating and only going forward for a minute or so. You ended up with a character walking against a wall for several seconds before you could get your control back. And when you got your control back you were in the middle of that zone, so good luck. You had to aim your character as it was a snooker to went through those zones. If you managed to do it in less than four or five "turns" you were lucky. Area around the bridge leading to the ruins of Jedi Academy was such a place.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Everything that was said in this interview paint this as an absolute mediocre game. I do not mean that it will be bad or terrible. But just another game that with nothing new or innovative mechanics. There is nothing special about what was said so far. Am I missing something?

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I love that attempt at being moebius in that art near the end of the video. Very cool, but it does not translate well into the 3D gameplay they have shown. I don't believe Obsidian will deliver anything its just my opinion, they think they can, but they cant. The more I think about it, its not really the games themselves, I dont mind if I am being checklisted to hell in quests in AssCreed or anything, its really the story and worlds being made...except for Sunless Sea unbelievable setting in a garbage game, it seems every single bigger game has fucking apes writing for them.
Jean_Giraud_xyse9mi161qbyi80o10_1280.jpg

aratuk

Cipher
Curious about the programmer Tim Cain cites as the most intelligent developer he's ever met, Loren McQuade at Carbine. Apparently worked on WoW at Blizzard before WildStar at Carbine, and… that's it?

But, there are a bunch of patent applications (and several patents granted) involving graphics shaders from someone by that name (et alii) working at Microsoft.

Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
Hey guys they've released the interviews also.

Leon and Tim talking about the hype building up, which is impossible to meet with any budget. Leon says "people's imagination is unlimited".

Size-wise its about KOTOR2, maybe smaller (i'd rather have a shorter and good game).
Seems 15-40H is a reasonable reference.
Reactivity major thing, warrents multiple playthroughs.

Tim worried about fan's comments on the game. "It's an awesome RPG with reactivity at it's core...not a space similator" (travel not a big thing).

The PC gamer dudes talks
about their conversations with Tim/Leon:
- Budget is quite restricted: this is a Private Division (indie-publisher) projector, not 2K or Microsoft (with millions behind it)
- Same tone as Fallout, but different social commentary: mega-corporations, futility of triablism, classism (7M)

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

There will be so much butthurt when this is released and is fucking awesome.

Though I still have no idea why there is so much doubt here given the two leads are TIM CAIN AND LEONARD BOYARSKY.

Diggfinger

Arcane

Though I still have no idea why there is so much doubt here given the two leads are TIM CAIN AND LEONARD BOYARSKY.

Regardless whether this game is awesome, sucks ass etc...there will be ButtHurt(tm) in abundance. Such is the ways of ze Codex.

Zeriel

Arcane

It's a mixture of Obsidian being 90% trash (see: CA debacle) and the fact the last public thing Tim Cain said before this project was a weird talk about making RPGs simpler, and specifically turning character creation stats into symbols and colors or some shit.

Boyarsky seems like the voice of reason here.

Deleted member 7219

It's a mixture of Obsidian being 90% trash (see: CA debacle) and the fact the last public thing Tim Cain said before this project was a weird talk about making RPGs simpler, and specifically turning character creation stats into symbols and colors or some shit.

90% trash? Because Avellone got massively butthurt at Urquhart and Parker (and Parker’s wife)? Those three people don’t make up 90% of Obsidian. Besides, I’d be interested to hear the other sides to the story.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

90% trash? Because Avellone got massively butthurt at Urquhart and Parker (and Parker’s wife)? Those three people don’t make up 90% of Obsidian. Besides, I’d be interested to hear the other sides to the story.
did you just expect a balanced, open minxed discussion on the codex?

lol, yeah whenever I hear tim cain speak I can't help but think that any good games he created in his past were almost entirely by accident because his natural instincts when it comes to game design seem to be retarded. He appears to have no limit for wanting to simplify and stamp out any and all complexity wherever it might hide.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This will be another classic "old RPG legends" shitshow. These people's best work in the last 20 years are Wild Star and Diablo 3 :badnews:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom