Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview The Outer Worlds Gameplay Footage on IGN and Twitch E3 2019 Broadcasts

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jun 11, 2019.

1. RickOmbo Educated

RickOmbo
    Why the game doesn't have the exp system from VtMB? Do Cain and Boyarsky hate it now?

• decline decline x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    XP junkies would rebel given the heavier focus on killing things out in the wild.

• Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Josh SJWyer Barely Literate

Josh SJWyer
    Tim Cain gave a presentation in 2017 on the mistakes to avoid in RPG development, and one of the main takeaways was that numbers are too complicated for most people to understand. This presentation was made during a time when The Outer Worlds was well into development, so you can be sure that what he says in this presentation is a good way of looking at his mindset in making the game and the decisions he made in designing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEewLWDpscA

Tim and company are rethinking the way that RPGs are made, because Math is too hard for zoomers to understand. Zoomer brains are atrophied because they rely on smart phones to do all the thinking for them, so RPGs also have to be dumbed down accordingly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. hexer Arcane

hexer
    I think Tim didn't want to get rid of math, he couldn't even if he wanted, he just opted for a visual representation i.e. geometry.
    That should be easier to memorize even for zoomers with shortest attention spans.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. curry Arcane

curry
    Gotta get that wider audience, bro

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    We still haven't seen The Outer Worlds character creation and there's actually no evidence yet that the shapes-based system he described in that talk made it into the game.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Tim's skill affecting recoil (from that same conference with the shapes) also hasn't been confirmed either yet.

^ Top  
  8. Goliath Arcane Zionist Agent

Goliath
    So it's a FPS game with some RPG elements. Like most FPS games these days. This seems more like Bioshock than Fallout: New Vegas.

• Agree x 5
    • Disagree x 4
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. hpstg Learned

hpstg
    This sounds like the kind of idea that Feargus would insta-kill in a meeting.

^ Top  
  10. sputtering fart balloon Educated

sputtering fart balloon
    He says it's spiritually a new New Vegas but then he says it's "just" open world, i.e. not a sandbox where you can go anywhere. Doesn't sound like a spiritual successor to NV to me if that's the case. Also the aesthetic sucks. But I am now more hype for this game than I was before just because it has a lot more emphasis on character customization than I thought it would.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    How do you take Unreal Engine 4 and produce that THING with it... :negative:

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    That gunplay looks pretty bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)