Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Outer Worlds Gameplay Footage, Previews and Interviews

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I would probably take his advice on Shimano or Sram bicycle chains. Unless his apparent taste on cycling is jsut a vapid superficial ornament on his wall.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's why I find certain reactions to this video premature and a little weird.

There is a game called Fallout: New Vegas. Today, it's widely considered to be among the finest RPGs of its era.

In the early stages of New Vegas, you arrive at a generic-looking town called Primm. It's been taken over by a generic-looking gang. There's some dialogue before, but basically your mission is to go into the hotel they've occupied and kill them all.

Due to its simplicity, action-packedness and lack of spoilers, that quest would have been perfect material for say, a 14 minute gameplay preview reel released before the game's launch. A reel full of janky, terrible-looking and fairly trivial Bethesda Gamebryo corridor shooting.

How do you think you would have reacted to it? What conclusions do you think you would have drawn about the game from it?

With these open-world action-RPGs, it's all about how it comes together. You might say that for every Chief Hanlon conversation, you need a few trips to a Ranger station. The experience of travelling the world, how your choices gradually build up, starting from the small stuff before arriving at something grand.

Cross

Arcane
How can the art direction be this bad? That's the one thing I took for granted from Boyarsky, a solid art direction.
You're getting Boyarsky's vision filtered through the artistic lens of the dozens of pink-haired character modelers and environment artists working under him.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
How can the art direction be this bad? That's the one thing I took for granted from Boyarsky, a solid art direction.
You're getting Boyarsky's vision filtered through the artistic lens of the dozens of pink-haired character modelers and environment artists working under him.

Going by PoE1-2, the character and enviromemt artists at Obs are probably their strongest point.

"Pink haired people" seem mostly confined to the writers room..

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The gameplay is fine. It's F3:NV in space.

Time dilatation instead of VATS.
No lock-picking QTEs
Stealth seems to be in
Dialogues with more than 4 options (*means complete dialogue tree with branches and stat checks)
Dumb option in dialogues

Life is good.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

They did say openly they're aiming for mainstream success... That's why this blasphemy is an amalgam of everything that's trendy right now

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Hey look Infinitron I am actually really okay with this situation. Its Unreal 4.

You see that short haired lesb there? Nude mods and tits physics incoming.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Tim Cain still sticking with that lame "stats as geometric shapes" isdea for this one?

Good question. One of the few things that Obsidian are still hiding is character creation and attributes (see GameSpot preview). Maybe because they know they'll need to dedicate some time to explaining it?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Agreed, it's absolutely soulless.
Define soul of computer game, give at least some religious explanation (although I doubt that you can, but you can try) because fanatics like you don't use any facts.
Amazing how they managed to look like Fallout, Bioshock, Borderlands, Overwatch and Guardians of the Galaxy at the same time.
There nothing from Overwatch, because Overwatch don't have it's own style, it's just a mix from different settings. Guardians of the Galaxy based on parody vision of sci-fi of 70s, not late 19th - early 20th century. Borderlands have different artstyle, you just blind to see a difference (and Borderlands took a lot inspiration from Fallout games). Even if mixing ideas is bad (which is not), your examples just stupid. Amazing how reverse-engineering exist through many ages and there still exist imbeciles like you, who refuse admit that.
This disgusting populism is the very opposite of what RPGs used to be. Should we even call this an RPG?
Define RPG.
Instead of carefully crafted passion projects targeted at a niche audience, we now have a dozen audiences rolled into one populistic project.
You are idiot, RPG was always for dozen audiences rolled in one product, just ask someone "what is rpg?" and people tell you over9000 definitions. If ofc you will able listen to them, without screaming like bitch about superiority of your tastes.

Quillon

Arcane
Is Tim Cain still sticking with that lame "stats as geometric shapes" isdea for this one?

Good question. One of the few things that Obsidian are still hiding is character creation and attributes (see GameSpot preview). Maybe because they know they'll need to dedicate some time to explaining it?

Well its said we get perk points on every 20 points on stats up to 100 so?

Then again did one of the article's said Tim wouldn't tell them something? I forgot what it was :P

Quillon

Arcane
Then again did one of the article's said Tim wouldn't tell them something? I forgot what it was :P

Oh it's the acronym he wouldn't say(gamespot dude asked also) hmn.

Maybe he renamed the attributes for the acronym to be letter-elly "S.H.A.P.E.S" :D

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
To have a peculiar atmosphere/vibe/feeling of its own?
atmosphere/vibe/feeling - all subjective, can't be count as actual definition since facts doesn't care about feelings.
This game looks like a mix of cliches as well. There's nothing original to it, it looks generic as fuck.
Can be said about any game ever, it's mater of tastes. Yearly games of Fallout series had shitload cliche from retro-futurism, Arcanum had cliche from steampunk fantasy, BG had Tolkien vibe. They also was generic and bad?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I already played New Vegas and this looks like New Vegas with worse art direction and characters in Dragon Age: Inquisition-style hubs. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom