Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Outer Worlds Gameplay Footage, Previews and Interviews

theremin

Novice
New Vegas did have poor gameplay due Bethesdas shit engine, what pulled the game above mediocrity was the writing and world building which I agree you cant compress into a trailer.

But the problem is that nuObsidian has proven that they dont have the talent for anything close to good writing.

So at best we could get open world game with poor gameplay, mediocre at best writing and good world building and I dont see any reason to get excited for it.

Sadly, I have to agree on the writing part. There were some good moments in Pillars 2, but Jesus Christ some of those dream sequences with Eothas were unbearable. Just say we're tethered by a golden rope to the mother fucker! Just say there's a shit ton of bells ringing or whatever! Nouns and verbs, guys, nouns and fucking verbs! Be succinct! Help a guy out, please!

Gameplay-wise, ehh, ok (am I the only asshole who likes slow-mo? F.E.A.R. was pretty satisfying, right?) But it's the style/vibe/look that's really throwing me for a loop. The Borderlands' comparisons are earned. Plus the U.I. is strangely similar to Bioshshock's (the health/time bar at least), it seems almost anachronistic in way. Ghosts of video gaming's past and stuff. But now I'm nitpicking. Still cautiously optimistic.

Vulpes

Scholar
Gameplay-wise, ehh, ok (am I the only asshole who likes slow-mo? F.E.A.R. was pretty satisfying, right?)

F.E.A.R. slo-mo works because it's an extension of its preexisting tactical combat. Basically, it doesn't matter if you are slow-mo, you are still dead if you leave cover and play Rambo.
While in The Outer Worlds, based on the gameplay trailer, it seems that you can just stand in the open and tank multiple enemies at once. It's obvious that the slow-mo is just added for marketing, their own alternative to V.A.T.S.
Not to mention that F.E.A.R. also had an excellent AI that always kept you on your toes instead of having enemies that rush you as soon as they see you like in most other games

Tigranes

Arcane
Gameplay-wise, ehh, ok (am I the only asshole who likes slow-mo? F.E.A.R. was pretty satisfying, right?)

F.E.A.R. slo-mo works because it's an extension of its preexisting tactical combat. Basically, it doesn't matter if you are slow-mo, you are still dead if you leave cover and play Rambo.
While in The Outer Worlds, based on the gameplay trailer, it seems that you can just stand in the open and tank multiple enemies at once. It's obvious that the slow-mo is just added for marketing, their own alternative to V.A.T.S.

In other words, it works just like VATS! :negative:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's a bit... reductive.

In F.E.A.R. so-mo you can still miss, and so it is still player skill dependent. V.A.T.S. does pretty much all the work for you + autocrits in melee (if I remember correctly).

So "just like" no. Similar? Yes. :)

Tigranes

Arcane

That's a bit... reductive.

In F.E.A.R. so-mo you can still miss, and so it is still player skill dependent. V.A.T.S. does pretty much all the work for you + autocrits in melee (if I remember correctly).

So "just like" no. Similar? Yes. :)

....no, I mean "it seems that you can just stand in the open and tank multiple enemies at once." We haven't seen much yet, but OW shooter gameplay seems just as braindead as nuFallout. Not a comment on FEAR.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
In fear you can run around enemies and their Ai was absolutely idiotic and horribly scripted, wtf are you two on about?
What fear did you play?
The one existing only in marketing hype? Or are you that braindamaged?

And alltogether it was nothing but a direct copy of Max Payne slow mo, ffs.

The OW trailer isnt representative of actual difficulty of the game since its a godamn first gameplay demo trailer, which means the player was in godmode. AND the player took stealth/sneaking aimed shots to the back of the most enemies.
There is nothing there to conclude you can just satnd in place and tank enemies.

But there is plenty about enemies conveniently being turned away too often and not seeing you at 20 meters distance even when they are turned towards you. And having super dumb suicidal Ai, animals and humanoids both.
Even if they amp damage and hp of enemies to make the game "harder" its still going to be shit if it plays like this all the time.

Drowed

Arcane
I'm still butthurt about the dialogue with Eothas in POE2 that made me ragequit the game (actually more like a borequit), so I'm not too optimistic about TOW. But hey, you never know.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Still cautiously optimistic.

If few years ago somebody told me that Obsidian is making a first person, open world, science fiction RPG and that I would be completely indifferent to it, I would called that person insane, yet here we are.

I didnt see anything in the gameplay video that stood out and made me excited for the game. It seems all the hype is coming from the fact that the game is being made by creators of New Vegas and that it looks like New Vegas, despite many people who worked at that game are no longer there.

So yeah at this point it would take a really impressive gameplay video to make me interested in this game.

Vulpes

Scholar
In fear you can run around enemies and their Ai was absolutely idiotic and horribly scripted, wtf are you two on about?
What fear did you play?
The one existing only in marketing hype? Or are you that braindamaged?
Are you retarded? We're obviously talking about FEAR 1 and it's expansion pack "Extraction Point". Just look up the reviews on that game on any site you like and you'll see it constantly getting praised for it's AI by both critics and players alike

And alltogether it was nothing but a direct copy of Max Payne slow mo, ffs.
It's so obvious that you're talking out of your ass. Not only are you clueless about the FEAR franchise, but it seems you've also never played the first two Max Payne games as well. The combat in these two franchises doesn't come close to being similar. In the first two Max Payne games you're barely ever using cover. Heck, there wasn't even a cover system until Rockstar released the third installment. The only times when you weren't out in the open was when you needed to reload real bad

The OW trailer isnt representative of actual difficulty of the game since its a godamn first gameplay demo trailer, which means the player was in godmode. AND the player took stealth/sneaking aimed shots to the back of the most enemies.
There is nothing there to conclude you can just satnd in place and tank enemies.
Are you blind as well? You can clearly see between 9 and 10 minutes of the video the PC not only running around in the open attacking enemies with a melee weapon but also getting hit with a flamethrower at close range and barely taking any damage

But there is plenty about enemies conveniently being turned away too often and not seeing you at 20 meters distance even when they are turned towards you. And having super dumb suicidal Ai, animals and humanoids both.
Even if they amp damage and hp of enemies to make the game "harder" its still going to be shit if it plays like this all the time.
So because the developers are too incompetent to provide challenging AI, they shouldn't try to compensate it by increasing their damage? What kind of logic is that? Also, no one here ever said anything about turning enemies into bullet sponges. I don't know about anyone else here, but I'd be content if they just increased both the player and NPC damage output. Something akin to S.T.A.L.K.E.R or what mods like RWD or BLEED do in New Vegas. Not only would it make the combat more intense and challenging but also turn the bullet time mechanic into an actually useful feature instead of a tacked on gimmick

Terenty

Liturgist

Im willing to bet anything, that the release version will have the same brain dead blind ai, basically two states: if an enemy has a gun hes shooting without taking any cover, or, God forbid, using any tactics, like flanking, or if its melee, hes rushing you without any trace of self preservation.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are you retarded? We're obviously talking about FEAR 1 and it's expansion pack "Extraction Point". Just look up the reviews on that game on any site you like and you'll see it constantly getting praised for it's AI by both critics and players alike
They put a lot of effort into making it appear smarter than it was. Simple AI with a lot of scripting.
We have four simple behaviors. Get-to-Cover gets all squad members who are not

currently in valid cover into valid cover, while one squad member lays suppression fire.
Advance-Cover moves members of a squad to valid cover closer to a threat, while one
squad member lays suppression fire. Orderly-Advance moves a squad to some position in
a single file line, where each A.I. covers the one in front, and the last A.I. faces backwards to
cover from behind. Search splits the squad into pairs who cover each other as they
systematically search rooms in some area.
Now let’s look at our complex behaviors. The truth is, we actually did not have any complex
squad behaviors at all in F.E.A.R. Dynamic situations emerge out of the interplay between the
squad level decision making, and the individual A.I.’s decision making, and often create the
illusion of more complex squad behavior than what actually exists
There is no point in spending time and effort implementing squad behaviors if in the end the
coordination of the A.I. is not apparent to the player. The squad behavior layer gives us an
opportunity to look at the current situation from a bird’s eye view, where we can see everyone
at once, and find some corresponding dialogue sequence. Having A.I. speak to each other
allows us to cue the player in to the fact that the coordination is intentional.

Vocalizing intentions can sometimes even be enough, without any actual implementation of the
associated squad behavior. For example, in F.E.A.R. when an A.I. realizes that he is the last
surviving member of a squad, he says some variation of “I need reinforcements.” We did not
really implement any mechanism for the A.I. to bring in reinforcements, but as the player
progresses through the level, he is sure to see more enemy A.I. soon enough. The player’s
assumption is that the next A.I. encountered are the reinforcements called in by the previously
speaking A.I., when in reality this is not the case.

Wherever possible, we try to make the vocalizations a dialogue between two or more
characters, rather than an announcement by one character. For example, rather than having
the A.I. cry out in pain when shot, we instead have someone else ask him his status, and have
the injured A.I. reply that he’s hit or alright. When the A.I. are searching for the player, rather
than having one A.I. say “Where did he go?”, we can have two A.I. in conversation where one
asks the other if he sees anything. The other A.I. may respond with a negative, or call out a
known or suspected position.

We also use dialogue to explain a lack of action. If an A.I. taking fire fails to reposition, he
appears less intelligent. We can use dialogue to explain that he knows he needs to reposition,
but is unaware of a better tactical position. The A.I. says “I’ve got nowhere to go!”

A gamer posting to an internet forum expressed that they he was impressed that the A.I. seem
to actually understand each other’s verbal communication. “Not only do they give each other
orders, but they actually DO what they’re told!” Of course the reality is that it’s all smoke and
mirrors, and really all decisions about what to say are made after the fact, once the squad
behavior has decided what the A.I. are going to do.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
34541170686_0c3933a5f0_b.jpg

to all the retards out here, this game is also "not brown" but it looks 1000x better

theremin

Novice
Which in practice made for damn good enemy behavior, who gives a shit what's behind the plating?

Reminds me of that one X-Files episode, "War of the Corpophages" where they discuss creating A.I. and...fight robot cockroaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwMYprMcKDs

Also, in FEAR, you were pretty squishy. Forced to dodge, take cover, manage limited resources and such. I guess I just want some semblance of John Woo Gun-Fu to reenter the video game world is all (FPS).

Trashos

Arcane
Really now, who expected great gunplay? As long as the gunplay is serviceable, I am fine with it.

I 'd be excited if they had any good writers left.

Unwanted

Soulstones

Unwanted
They put a lot of effort into making it appear smarter than it was. Simple AI with a lot of scripting.
We have four simple behaviors. Get-to-Cover gets all squad members who are not

currently in valid cover into valid cover, while one squad member lays suppression fire.
Advance-Cover moves members of a squad to valid cover closer to a threat, while one
squad member lays suppression fire. Orderly-Advance moves a squad to some position in
a single file line, where each A.I. covers the one in front, and the last A.I. faces backwards to
cover from behind. Search splits the squad into pairs who cover each other as they
systematically search rooms in some area.
Now let’s look at our complex behaviors. The truth is, we actually did not have any complex
squad behaviors at all in F.E.A.R. Dynamic situations emerge out of the interplay between the
squad level decision making, and the individual A.I.’s decision making, and often create the
illusion of more complex squad behavior than what actually exists
There is no point in spending time and effort implementing squad behaviors if in the end the
coordination of the A.I. is not apparent to the player. The squad behavior layer gives us an
opportunity to look at the current situation from a bird’s eye view, where we can see everyone
at once, and find some corresponding dialogue sequence. Having A.I. speak to each other
allows us to cue the player in to the fact that the coordination is intentional.

Vocalizing intentions can sometimes even be enough, without any actual implementation of the
associated squad behavior. For example, in F.E.A.R. when an A.I. realizes that he is the last
surviving member of a squad, he says some variation of “I need reinforcements.” We did not
really implement any mechanism for the A.I. to bring in reinforcements, but as the player
progresses through the level, he is sure to see more enemy A.I. soon enough. The player’s
assumption is that the next A.I. encountered are the reinforcements called in by the previously
speaking A.I., when in reality this is not the case.

Wherever possible, we try to make the vocalizations a dialogue between two or more
characters, rather than an announcement by one character. For example, rather than having
the A.I. cry out in pain when shot, we instead have someone else ask him his status, and have
the injured A.I. reply that he’s hit or alright. When the A.I. are searching for the player, rather
than having one A.I. say “Where did he go?”, we can have two A.I. in conversation where one
asks the other if he sees anything. The other A.I. may respond with a negative, or call out a
known or suspected position.

We also use dialogue to explain a lack of action. If an A.I. taking fire fails to reposition, he
appears less intelligent. We can use dialogue to explain that he knows he needs to reposition,
but is unaware of a better tactical position. The A.I. says “I’ve got nowhere to go!”

A gamer posting to an internet forum expressed that they he was impressed that the A.I. seem
to actually understand each other’s verbal communication. “Not only do they give each other
orders, but they actually DO what they’re told!” Of course the reality is that it’s all smoke and
mirrors, and really all decisions about what to say are made after the fact, once the squad
behavior has decided what the A.I. are going to do.

Dumbest shit I read all week and I read all the fandomat posts.
A. there is not a single line of script, if you know what I mean roffles, in FEAR combat AI
B. there is absolutely nothing simple about it
C. quoting quotes about whole squad behaviour in a speedy shooter released before Oblivion...
D. quote the whole doc
E. "search splits the squad into pairs who cover each other as they
systematically search rooms in some area" - simple with scriptin!

The only thing to be said about FEAR AI is that it doesnt specifically flank and it plays behaviour animations far too slowly. It jumps into cover while you already ran over to the other side and shotgun it to the head while the soldier is playing the melee animation.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The only thing I remember from playing F.E.A.R. was how those fuckers would ALWAYS try to flank the shit out of me. Though I think that was mostly only the first few maps. I just had to learn how to be in areas that made flanking way less dangerous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom