Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do you really think that Obsidian had zero say in it? That it's some nobody Take2 can do with as they please? And I suppose it's a coincidence that it's the only Epic "exclusive" that's going to be released on Windows Store? How thoughtful of Take2.

Yes, I expect Obsidian had a publishing and financing deal made with Take2. I expect that deal to be quite solid, Take2 aren't some second rate publisher which is making its first contracts.
Just because there's a publishing deal doesn't mean that Take2 can do whatever they fucking want. That's not how these things work. Not to mention there's leverage - the IP itself, which is enough to give Take2 a reason to treat Obsidian as a partner rather than an indentured servant who has no say in this matter.

Fair enough, but to the extent Obisidian’s publishing deal gave them any say in the matter, they handed that say over to Microsoft when they sold the company. Why would Feargus be the guy making this call for Microsoft?

Mustawd

What's funny is that piracy doesn't poof out of nowhere. Someone buys the game, cracks it, and makes it available to others. There are the people who pirate their games, and the people who have enabled piracy. And these people have literally no reason to do so, because they already own the game.

What?

You’re talking about ONE aggregate bought cooy to benefit tens to hundreds of thousands.

tens to hundreds of thousands of zero revenue owners of a game. Wtf are you talking about?

What? I said that the funny thing about piracy is that it is enable by people who already bought a game. It makes sense for pirates to pirate a game they don't own. What doesn't make sense is someone who already bought the game to engage in illegal activity for others to benefit from.

Oh I misread.

Anyways you’re wrong. It makes perfect sense. If cracking games is a hobby and you enjoy the attention why not?

Also, there are ways to make money off of cracking games. No one says you have to put it on a torrent website.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
ust because there's a publishing deal doesn't mean that Take2 can do whatever they fucking want.

They can do whatever the fuck the deal says they can do. That's exactly "how these things work". Since you're not privvy to the contents of said deal, perhaps you should tone down the obnoxious attitude.

Not to mention there's leverage - the IP itself, which is enough to give Take2 a reason to treat Obsidian as a partner rather than an indentured servant who has no say in this matter.

Obsidian is now a Microsoft company. There will be no more deals with outside publishers, from now on everything from Obsidian will be published and financed by Microsoft. There is no incentive for Take2 to consider any future "partnership" with Obsidian, there's no "future partnership" to be had.

This is Take2 and Obsidian fulfilling a contract made when Obsidian was an independent developer. Microsoft isn't going to be using Take2 to publish their IPs going forward, of that you can be sure.

Last edited:

Mustawd

They can do whatever the fuck the deal says they can do. That's exactly "how these things work". Since you're not privvy to the contents of said deal, perhaps you should tone down the obnoxious attitude.

Many times deals have unenforceable language. It’s up to other party to contest it. Also, one party might take actions that are not outlined in the deal at all. Or there may be a grey area where contesting might be an option.

You’re right in that none us know what is in the agreement. So I suggest we ALL take your advice and stop pretending we know.

Codex Year of the Donut
ust because there's a publishing deal doesn't mean that Take2 can do whatever they fucking want.

Not to mention there's leverage - the IP itself, which is enough to give Take2 a reason to treat Obsidian as a partner rather than an indentured servant who has no say in this matter.

Obsidian is now a Microsoft company. There will be no more deals with outside publishers, from now on everything from Obsidian will be published and financed by Microsoft. There is no incentive for Take2 to consider any future "partnership" with Obsidian, there's no "future partnership" to be had.

This is Take2 and Obsidian fulfilling a contract made when Obsidian was an independent developer. Microsoft isn't going to be using Take2 to publish their IPs going forward, of that you can be sure.
As a consumer it is Not My Problem. Obsidian put themselves in this situation and if they can't get out of it then it's their fault.
The amount of consumers willing to eat any shit shoveled in front of their face is one of the main problems with this industry.
"Going forward they won't require you to install chinese spyware to buy their games! Thank goodness they've graced us with their product and are so gracious as to allow us lowly peasants to buy it!"

Oracsbox

Game could be utter horsehit anyway.
Even if it isn't I seldom buy games new and RPG's often need a year of patches (unless it's Bethesda and then we know it'll never be patched properly )and dlc shit to be worth playing and if obsidian want to bugger about with exclusivity I can wait.

Vatnik Wumao

As a consumer it is Not My Problem. Obsidian put themselves in this situation and if they can't get out of it then it's their fault.
The amount of consumers willing to eat any shit shoveled in front of their face is one of the main problems with this industry.
"Going forward they won't require you to install chinese spyware to buy their games! Thank goodness they've graced us with their product and are so gracious as to allow us lowly peasants to buy it!"

Then as a consumer just do not buy it instead of whining ad nauseam of how the dev betrayed you, of how sinister installing chinese spyware is and how Steam no longer has a monopoly over your ass. The very fact that consumers are "willing to eat shit" as you put it means that those concerns are ultimately minor and most people do not see it as a big deal.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
we'll take everything up to, like, an R-rated movie or an M-rated game
© Tim Sweeney, 2019

Any guesses for the ESRB rating? :lol:

ratingsymbol_t.png
:smug:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Then as a consumer just do not buy it instead of whining ad nauseam of how the dev betrayed you, of how sinister installing chinese spyware is and how Steam no longer has a monopoly over your ass. The very fact that consumers are "willing to eat shit" as you put it means that those concerns are ultimately minor and most people do not see it as a big deal.

If you just don't buy it and don't say anything then the devs don't fucking know why you didn't buy the game? Was is the storefront, was the game released on the wrong time of the year, did players lose faith in the studio, is gaming dying? Fuck if they know. Whining is one of the most beneficial things to do because then the devs know exactly why they've fucked-up. The only issue could be whining on Codex in a civilized manner instead of bothering the devs at twitter.
Also if the publishers cared about players, they'd release it on GOG if they didn't the entire "we want to break the monopoly" excuse is moot. "Release games on good store, don't bother with shitty ones" is not exactly rocket science.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also if the publishers cared about players, they'd release it on GOG if they didn't the entire "we want to break the monopoly" excuse is moot. "Release games on good store, don't bother with shitty ones" is not exactly rocket science.
The bold part is :lol:
Breaking Steam's quasi-monopoly will in the end (most likely) be beneficial to customers. But I don't think anyone holds that up as the reason to go Epic exclusive. You'd really have to hate Steam with a passion for that, and I don't know any devs who do that.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Breaking Steam's quasi-monopoly will in the end (most likely) be beneficial to customers.
Again, in the given scenario this approach is just an embodiment of "fabulously optimistic". There's nothing tangible pointing to this benefiting the customers and a lot to suggest that things will get worse. The only positive development is that other players remain cool so far, looking from a distance at epic sperging around offering free booze and hookers to thirsty devs and publishers. But if they decide to retaliate then we're in for a ride and I bet we won't like it. Getting even closer to the autistic console playground is the last thing PC scene needs.

Good thing that there are like two games I'm genuinely looking forward to and I'd be happy with staying with my enormous backlog and replaying my favorites from the nineties, like the jaded cunt that I am.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Breaking Steam's quasi-monopoly will in the end (most likely) be beneficial to customers.
Again, in the given scenario this approach is just an embodiment of "fabulously optimistic". There's nothing tangible pointing to this benefiting the customers and a lot to suggest that things will get worse. The only positive development is that other players remain cool so far, looking from a distance at epic sperging around offering free booze and hookers to thirsty devs and publishers. But if they decide to retaliate then we're in for a ride and I bet we won't like it.
Retaliate with what? Sales? Cheaper prices? Consumer wins.
Exclusivity? Irrelevant, it's just a fucking launcher, get over it. People will play using whatever launcher is required to play their game.
Game flatrates? Will probably become standard at some point anyway, just like it did with movies and music. Bad for developers, sure, but if music and movie industry can deal with it, so can the games industry.

Getting even closer to the autistic console playground is the last thing PC scene needs.
I've seen this argument made often, and as usual with tinfoil hatter arguments, it doesn't make sense.
Console exclusivity cannot be compared to PC store exclusivity, because no money is involved in having either/both PC stores. While buying consoles costs money, each - that's a real decision.
Having another store on your PC is just another program, taking a negligible amount of space. You're already registered at dozens of services with your credit card/PayPal/name/etc. As if one more is going to make a difference.

Will it?
There won't magically be multiple platforms each having a tiny slice, it will just be replaced with something else dominating the market.
Steam is relatively benign, careful with the monkey's paw.
I don't see much pointing at EGS not becoming relatively benign. Beyond the nonsensical "China bad!" and "Oh noez! It scans muh files!" stuff.
Keep in mind the store is out only for a very short time and I fully expect it become much better over time, eventually reaching parity with Steam's features. If not, well, then it won't get a big share anyway. Exclusivity will get them a good start, but they cannot keep it up if users leave disappointed in the store.
Their content moderation alone is a huge plus to me, at least it won't have something like Steam's "disovery queue" that is filled with 9/10 asset flip/hentai/crap.

And I don't see what is negative in having two big players vs. just one.
It will be good for developers, because those stores need to compete for them. And it will be good for players, because those stores need to compete for them as well.
Seriously, what worst case scenario are you so afraid of?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom