Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Just to take a step back here,

- a handful of shills for a specific online storefront
- a storefront which produces nothing of value
- are pissing themselves with rage and indignation
- because a game that hasn't been released yet isn't on their storefront of choice
- the game is still made available on two other online storefronts
- just not the one they're shilling for

Incidentally, this is exactly what happened when EA Origin started and cut their titles from Steam.

We've been here before, the complaints, the autistic screeches, the frothing of the mouth, hating the new storefront... yet, EA Origin is here to stay. So is Epic, is Steam, so is UPlay and so is Battle.net.

There will be exclusives between these services, there already were before Epic came on the scene, don't pretend this is anything new.

All of these launchers are equally stupid, they're all spying on your hardware, what apps you're running, what IPs you're connecting to, they all add DRM but none of them adds any value.

They're just middleware between you and the game you want to play. So please, cut the shilling. They're all shit.

People in their contrarianism to steam are counter-shilling for an even worse online store that exists not because they provide an adequate service but because they have the zoomerbucks to buyout exclusives. Amazing. Only one shilling are people who are happy that Epic has exclusives now because it "sticks it to the steam". Rest of the people aren't asking it to be a steam exclusive but rather that it not be an exclusive.

This is what "enemy of my enemy" mentality does I guess, you go ahead and support garbage like zoomerstore for no reason other than to stick it to the steam. If steam is most popular platform when the games are not exclusive, how is that the fault of steam? Epic can exists all it wants, so can UPlay, Epic, Battle.net, Origin or whatever else. THat's not the issue here, the issue is the exclusives bought out with zoomerbucks.

"You are a shill because you do not want to participate in a worse service!" what a joke. Meanwhile shilling for epic store's right to buyout exclusives and choke people into buying their garbage client, all because they were REALLY FUCKING GOOD at selling dance emotes to bunch of 14yos.

Here is what happens in reality:

1. People are asking it to not be limited to a specific storefront and leave the storefront choice to customers
2. Bunch of shills are indignant that people dare NOT buy it on a specific storefront that bought out the title as an exclusive

Why are you shilling for zoomerstore? Did you buy its shares? Why the fuck would anyone use the garbage zoomerstore client? Hell I'd not use steam client too but between the garbage like epic, origin, uplay or whatever I won't use it. The only that is halfway decent is the battle.net client.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just to take a step back here,

- a handful of shills for a specific online storefront
- a storefront which produces nothing of value
- are pissing themselves with rage and indignation
- because a game that hasn't been released yet isn't on their storefront of choice
- the game is still made available on two other online storefronts
- just not the one they're shilling for

Incidentally, this is exactly what happened when EA Origin started and cut their titles from Steam.

We've been here before, the complaints, the autistic screeches, the frothing of the mouth, hating the new storefront... yet, EA Origin is here to stay. So is Epic, is Steam, so is UPlay and so is Battle.net.

There will be exclusives between these services, there already were before Epic came on the scene, don't pretend this is anything new.

All of these launchers are equally stupid, they're all spying on your hardware, what apps you're running, what IPs you're connecting to, they all add DRM but none of them adds any value.

They're just middleware between you and the game you want to play. So please, cut the shilling. They're all shit.

People in their contrarianism to steam are counter-shilling for an even worse online store that exists not because they provide an adequate service but because they have the zoomerbucks to buyout exclusives. Amazing. Only one shilling are people who are happy that Epic has exclusives now because it "sticks it to the steam". Rest of the people aren't asking it to be a steam exclusive but rather that it not be an exclusive.

This is what "enemy of my enemy" mentality does I guess, you go ahead and support garbage like zoomerstore for no reason other than to stick it to the steam. If steam is most popular platform when the games are not exclusive, how is that the fault of steam? Epic can exists all it wants, so can UPlay, Epic, Battle.net, Origin or whatever else. THat's not the issue here, the issue is the exclusives bought out with zoomerbucks.

"You are a shill because you do not want to participate in a worse service!" what a joke. Meanwhile shilling for epic store's right to buyout exclusives and choke people into buying their garbage client, all because they were REALLY FUCKING GOOD at selling dance emotes to bunch of 14yos.

Here is what happens in reality.

1. People are asking it to not be limited to a specific storefront and leave the storefront choice to customers
2. Bunch of shills are indignant that people dare NOT buy it on a specific storefront that bought out the title as an exclusive
I have never used steam in my life and still think epic is the worst thing that could happen to gaming.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
People in their contrarianism to steam are counter-shilling for an even worse online store

Does your contrarianism preclude you from comprehending what you're reading? Nowhere in the text you quoted am I shilling for any store. In fact, I take the opportunity and mention that explicitly.

The rest of your post is just meaningless drivel that has nothing to do with the post I made and you quoted. Do you even read what you write before you post?

I have never used steam in my life and still think epic is the worst thing that could happen to gaming.

Gaming as a service is easily worse for gaming than Epic, Steam and all the rest combined into one.

FreeKaner

People in their contrarianism to steam are counter-shilling for an even worse online store

Does your contrarianism preclude you from comprehending what you're reading? Nowhere in the text you quoted am I shilling for any store. In fact, I take the opportunity and mention that explicitly.

The rest of your post is just meaningless drivel that has nothing to do with the post I made and you quoted. Do you even read what you write before you post?

You are counter-shilling against people being rightfully upset about the exclusive deal. You are in fact shilling for not only epic but also other type of exclusives, all because of contrarianism to steam.

Yosharian

Arcane

Gaming as a service is easily worse for gaming than Epic, Steam and all the rest combined into one.
Who's shilling for Steam in this thread?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
You are counter-shilling against people being rightfully upset about the exclusive deal.

It's not an exclusive deal, no matter how many times you repeat it, that won't magically come true.

Furthermore, it's a sad and pathetic tactic to try to paint me as something I am most certainly not. What I am, is completely unsympathetic to your "rightful indignation", because I simply do not care that you can't buy a game from your middleware of choice.

You are in fact shilling for not only epic but also other type of exclusives, all because of contrarianism to steam.

I am doing no such thing and it would rather seem to be your complete failure of simple reading comprehension which has led you to that conclusion. That, or the simple dishonesty of a shill.

I made that absolutely clear in the post you quoted and completely misread, coincidentally like an actual shill would.

Who's shilling for Steam in this thread?

What is this thread about?

FreeKaner

because I simply do not care that you can't buy a game from your middleware of choice.

If that so, what is even your point? Do you even have a point?

Let me put it in your terms, people do not like that they are forced to use middleware that is not their choice. If entire length of your post amounts to "I don't care that people cannot use their middleware of choice" then the rightful and appropriate answer is why the fuck should anyone care what do you think? If you don't care about people's middleware choice, why are you here arguing about usage of particular middleware at the expense of another middleware? Especially if it is only to point them as shills simply because they do not want to use a worse middleware that had to bruteforce its way to be even seen as an option?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Detractors of the Epic Game Store say "Why should we switch to an inferior launcher? Where's the value to the customer?" And they're right! The Epic launcher is worse, and there is no value to the customer. You're being screwed on the launcher, and you can absolutely refuse to buy the game if you feel strongly about that.

But here's the thing. Isn't every choice we make in gaming made up of these kinds of painful compromises? Before this news, you were apparently considering buying a game with quest markers even though you hate quest markers. One could justifiably ask, why is the launcher of all things the dealbreaker for you? Isn't that a bit silly?

That's why I just don't get the hype. This is the world we live in, folks. And for the record, do I plan to D1P the game myself? No, quite possibly not.

The part you are omitting is that the Epic store is the only store out there that was designed specifically to be anti-consumer. Nobody was outraged about games being exclusive to Origin, Uplay, Battlenet or Bethesda's whatever. It's the only store where owners outright stated that devs matter and they don't and the only one that was specifically designed to silence players, and shield devs from "toxicity".

And if they manage to get ahead of Valve using their tactics then Valve is likely to respond by using the very same tactics. They are already changing their algorithms to automatically hide "review bombs". What is very likely is not the future where Steam magically transforms into some consumer-first paradise, but a future where every store is heavily moderated by the publishers, with negative opinions being discarded willy-nilly and big games are parceled between stores behind exclusivity deals.

One of the simplest moves I could think of would be introducing "Steam exclusivity bonus". Valve reduces their cut to meager 15% in exchange to devs agreeing to not sell their games anywhere else on the market. This kills the Epic store, just as well as GoG, itch.io and every other independent store.

Competition is not always good for the consumers. The best example would be console market. Microsoft introduced paid online, while thought that shit will simply won't fly with the consumers. Unfortunately brainless retards bought gold memberships en-masse, which convinced Sony that players are spineless sheeple and will bend over anything. Lo-behold and paid online came to PS4, hurray for competition.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Steam has a tight control of the market due to the network effect. Epic has the right idea that trying to woo users directly would be an uphill battle, and GOG already lost that battle, so they had that past experience to learn from. Having only your games exclusively on your store also didn't work for EA and Origin. Epic is just trying a different strategy and incidentally one that Steam also used in the early years to conquer users from their old habit of physical purchases (my memory is fuzzy on this, but I remember catching the Steam bacillus by opening The Orange Box). Is this good for the consumer? On the short run obviously not, and even on the long run we don't know if it will work to bring effective competition. Even if it works, the threat will most likely lead to Steam signing its own exclusivity deals to keep its dominant position.

One quick way of resolving this would be resurrecting comrade Stalin and have him do it in one quick regulatory swoop: mandating that all digital stores should have a "GOG-like" fallback option that lets users directly download the binaries of the software that they purchase and run it directly from their operating system. That way, buying on Epic, or Steam, or GOG, or Origin, or etc. would not be buying into Epic, Steam, GOG, Origin, etc. The consumer would not be tied to a purchase of services with a purchase of software, but could choose freely to use those social and network services if they wanted.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
One quick way of resolving this would be resurrecting comrade Stalin and have him do it in one quick regulatory swoop: mandating that all digital stores should have a "GOG-like" fallback option that lets users directly download the binaries of the software that they purchase and run it directly from their operating system. That way, buying on Epic, or Steam, or GOG, or Origin, or etc. would not be buying into Epic, Steam, GOG, Origin, etc. The consumer would not be tied to a purchase of services with a purchase of software, but could choose freely to use those social and network services if they wanted.

Congratulations, you've managed to make more compelling argument in favor or socialims/communism than anyone did in the last decade.

Reinhardt

Arcane
aiEJH.gif

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Obsidian- Oh look,our game is at peak hype and desired by every young noble. What could we about this peculiar situation ? If only there was a dashing young knight to sweep us off our feet!
Epic- Hello gorgeous creature,let me buy you a drink ;).

Next day in ifinitron's gem store:
Oh nooo,everything is burning,all the forums are filled with hateful comments about the princes getting away with that rich gypso,EPIC! Now my second yacht and my shilling reputation are in danger. Hmmmm,i know,lets delete all the evul comments and cut the thread in to twenty new ones. That way people isolated in different threads and the whole drama will die out!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Infinitron stop pretending that you don't have a second yacht! At least take us on a codexian nazi yacht party. To repay us for all the abuse you had put us trough,cut thread,edited posts,untaged threads,banning funny trolls while leaving retards like safo el chapo,etc etc!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Competition is not always good for the consumers. The best example would be console market. Microsoft introduced paid online, while thought that shit will simply won't fly with the consumers. Unfortunately brainless retards bought gold memberships en-masse, which convinced Sony that players are spineless sheeple and will bend over anything. Lo-behold and paid online came to PS4, hurray for competition.

Not sure that's due to competition. It's about who thought of if first.
You can think it wouldn't have ever happened if Microsoft didn't enter the console market to compete with Sony but that's just stupid. It could've just as easily started from Sony, it's not like they're strangers to anti-consumer practices.
And if consumers embrace bad practices... well, you can hardly call them anti-consumer, can you? If you don't like them, then separate yourself from the consumer crowd and stop feeding the bad practices.

The part you are omitting is that the Epic store is the only store out there that was designed specifically to be anti-consumer. Nobody was outraged about games being exclusive to Origin, Uplay, Battlenet or Bethesda's whatever. It's the only store where owners outright stated that devs matter and they don't and the only one that was specifically designed to silence players, and shield devs from "toxicity".

Bullshit. They're outraged the game is not on Steam. The main complaint is "I have to install another client". It's got nothing to do with principles. Only convenience and such blind loyalty to a brand that Steam essentially has a strangehold on the entire PC market.

troz

Educated
HEI GUISE, IM SO ANGRY RIGTH NOW THAT MY FAVOURIGHTE ANTICIPAYTED GAEM IS NOT RELEADSED ON MY FAVORITE GAYMING CLIENT THAT IM ACCUDSTOMED TOO
INSTEAD IT GETS RELEASED EXCLUESIVELY ON ONE THAT I DONT KNOW AND IT FUCKIGN SUCKS :-(

I HAVE TOO PIERATE THE OURTER WOLDS NOW :'‑(

Quillon

Arcane
Here are my terms, Obsidian:

Many ITT still treat Obs as an independent studio.

Can understand why MCA does it, he has an agenda but seems you guys still can't get over the fact that YOUR FAVORITE STUDIO OF ALL TIME got acquired (cos most of you didn't buy Deadfire :D ) on top of that the game has another publisher who pays the bills ffs.

This shit is nothing yet all this fuss about it, if MS somehow fucks what's left of Obs up/influences the games themselves heavily, people will mass suicide I reckon.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

Can understand why MCA does it, he has an agenda but seems you guys still can't get over the fact that YOUR FAVORITE STUDIO OF ALL TIME got acquired (cos most of you didn't but Deadfire :D ) on top of that the game has another publisher who pays the bills ffs.

This shit is nothing yet all this fuss about it, if MS somehow fucks what's left of Obs up/influences the games themselves heavily, people will mass suicide I reckon.
Microsoft isn't the publisher for this game you dip

Quillon

Arcane

Can understand why MCA does it, he has an agenda but seems you guys still can't get over the fact that YOUR FAVORITE STUDIO OF ALL TIME got acquired (cos most of you didn't but Deadfire :D ) on top of that the game has another publisher who pays the bills ffs.

Microsoft isn't the publisher for this game you dip

ffs you made me write this shit: learn to read.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom