Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reposting from the Obsidian forums: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/108935-the-outer-worlds-wont-launch-on-steam/?p=2149504

So here's a new thing. Ubisoft's Anno 1800 has just gone Epic-exclusive, but in an interesting twist, they'e continuing to sell the game on Steam as a pre-order until its release date: https://store.steamp...6440/Anno_1800/

My first thought is, wow, how greedy. Juicing up pre-orders from Epic-hating players desperate to have the game on Steam.

But my second thought is...hey, that's not a bad compromise actually.

It's a long shot, but it may be worth trying to apply community pressure on Obsidian, Microsoft and Private Division to demand a similar arrangement from Epic. Why does Ubisoft get this perk to reduce fan backlash and they don't?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Reposting from the Obsidian forums: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/108935-the-outer-worlds-wont-launch-on-steam/?p=2149504

So here's a new thing. Ubisoft's Anno 1800 has just gone Epic-exclusive, but in an interesting twist, they'e continuing to sell the game on Steam as a pre-order until its release date: https://store.steamp...6440/Anno_1800/

My first thought is, wow, how greedy. Juicing up pre-orders from Epic-hating players desperate to have the game on Steam.

But my second thought is...hey, that's not a bad compromise actually.

It's a long shot, but it may be worth trying to apply community pressure on Obsidian, Microsoft and Private Division to demand a similar arrangement from Epic. Why does Ubisoft get this perk to reduce fan backlash and they don't?

Thats a shit comprimise.

A: Never pre-order

B: Your still getting the game on steam one year later.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Guys, be honest: How many of you are going to break the law and steal Obsidian's intellectual property?

Nobody who has the intellectual property actually cares.

Obsidian doesn't need to go publisher hunting anymore and Microsoft doesn't see much/at all from the games sales anyway (Except XBOX/Microsoft store). The only thing it can influence is how ready Microsoft will greenlight a sequel.

So, go nuts. You're going to hurt Private Division the most.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This will be the first Epic Games Store title I buy probably. No way I'm ignoring this game, and I want this kind of title to get good sales so I'm not pirating it. If the Epic client is super annoying I'll just download a "backup" and play it that way.

There's certainly a "don't support exclusives" point that could be made, but this game being a success is more important to me personally.

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm sure they already have a Microsoft game in development, so regardless of how this game does, it might have little bearing on Obsidians future

jf8350143

Liturgist
In the interview Feargus mentions they have three-ish team at the moment, one for Outer Worlds, a small one to wrap up Deadfire and another team working on something they can't say at the moment.

So there is another ongoing project and it is probably a project related to Microsoft.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm sure they already have a Microsoft game in development, so regardless of how this game does, it might have little bearing on Obsidians future

The commercial success or failure of TOW will probably impact Tim & Leonard’s ability to continue as directors of future projects. Although whether you think that’s a bad thing may hinge on the quality of the game.

Neanderthal

Arcane
This will be the first Epic Games Store title I buy probably. No way I'm ignoring this game, and I want this kind of title to get good sales so I'm not pirating it. If the Epic client is super annoying I'll just download a "backup" and play it that way.

There's certainly a "don't support exclusives" point that could be made, but this game being a success is more important to me personally.

Why?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

It already did, courtesy of Epic.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I’m not pirating the game. On the other hand, I’m not buying it.

I’ll either wait for Steam/GOG release or buy console version for €20, down the line.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
but this game being a success is more important to me personally.
Why is that? Do you own stock in Obsidian or something?

I'm a big fan of their work, and games like this one in setting and style. This isn't a hard concept to understand. I know it's the 'Dex so "lol everything sucks fuck it all" but I actually like some shit. I'm a James Dean rebel that way.

It helps I'm not a "OMG another client I want Steam to rule it all" cuck, too.

Duraframe300

Arcane
but this game being a success is more important to me personally.
Why is that? Do you own stock in Obsidian or something?

I'm a big fan of their work, and games like this one in setting and style. This isn't a hard concept to understand. I know it's the 'Dex so "lol everything sucks fuck it all" but I actually like some shit. I'm a James Dean rebel that way.

It helps I'm not a "OMG another client I want Steam to rule it all" cuck, too.

Why not Windows store then? Supports Obsidian more this way as well.

Last edited:

axedice

Cipher
Pirating is the right thing to do here. Even private division doesn't take that much of a hit that way, it's only epic that gets hurt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom