Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Pirating is the right thing to do here. Even private division doesn't take that much of a hit that way, it's only epic that gets hurt.

The right reply would be buying on the Microsoft store.

LOL @ this concept that Microsoft is somehow a good guy here, or the one to support. Epic's tactic of getting exclusives to compete with Steam (likely the only thing that would work to take them down a bit) is what it is, but Microsoft have been a cutthroat corporation for decades. There's no altruism here, just pure business like the Corleones would say.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Pirating is the right thing to do here. Even private division doesn't take that much of a hit that way, it's only epic that gets hurt.

LOL @ this concept that Microsoft is somehow a good guy here, or the one to support. Epic's tactic of getting exclusives to compete with Steam (likely the only thing that would work to take them down a bit) is what it is, but Microsoft have been a cutthroat corporation for decades. There's no altruism here, just pure business like the Corleones would say.

True, but on this specific case it is preferable to the Epic Store. The most obvious reason being that Obsidian is a Microsoft first party developer now.
So, if you actually want to support the game by buying it, you might as well do it on the Microsoft store since that means more incentive for Microsoft to support Obsidian.

Otherwise, take the life of a pirate matey.

ArchAngel

Arcane

True, but on this specific case it is preferable to the Epic Store. The most obvious reason being that Obsidian is a Microsoft first party developer now.
So, if you actually want to support the game by buying it, you might as well do it on the Microsoft store since that means more incentive for Microsoft to support Obsidian.

Otherwise, take the life of a pirate matey.
Nothing wrong being a buccaneer and taking from rich Yankees. They take from the whole world and kill those that object, at least we can take something back this way.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Obsidian is Microsoft, there's no meaningful distinction between the two.

Sure there is. I want to tell Microsoft "I like Obsidian let them make more RPGs," I don't necessarily want to tell them "I like everything you're doing, do it more." I do take the point however that if the goal is to send that message it might work best on the Windows Store or whatever it's called. I'll either download the game elsewhere to actually play it or use an offline private mode, so it matters little where I buy it in the end.

My main point is that I think buying the game to keep Obsidian making RPGs is more important than protesting a new client, which basically in my view comes down to "I want Steam to run everything!" which is WAY more anti-consumer than Epic buying exclusives, IMO.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I want to tell Microsoft "I like Obsidian let them make more RPGs,"

The best way to do that is to buy it from the Microsoft store then, couldn't be clearer.

That's also going to be the only place going forward. Perhaps you should get used to it.

I don't necessarily want to tell them "I like everything you're doing, do it more."

Great, and that has nothing to do with buying from the Microsoft store.

Obsidian is a Microsoft subsidiary now. There is no meaningful distinction between the two, at the risk of repeating myself.

My main point is that I think buying the game to keep Obsidian making RPGs is more important than protesting a new client, which basically in my view comes down to "I want Steam to run everything!" which is WAY more anti-consumer than Epic buying exclusives, IMO.

I don't disagree, but that doesn't have anything to do with my point.

It's important to understand that Obsidian will not publish outside the Microsoft store going forward. Seeing as that's the case, and Obsidian games will not be reliably available on any other store than the Microsoft store, your only practical way to support Obsidian is to buy their games from Microsoft.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It's important to understand that Obsidian will not publish outside the Microsoft store going forward. Seeing as that's the case, and Obsidian games will not be reliably available on any other store than the Microsoft store, your only practical way to support Obsidian is to buy their games from Microsoft.

Depends if Microsoft continues their current strategy of moving out of their closed ecosystem, because then they might as well end up on Steam. (I mean Halo, their flagship franchise of all things does) At least until Microsoft changes their minds again.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Depends if Microsoft continues their current strategy of moving out of their closed ecosystem, because then they might as well end up on Steam. (I mean Halo, their flagship franchise of all things does) At least until Microsoft changes their minds again.

That's why I wrote (and you quoted) "Obsidian games will not be reliably available on any other store than the Microsoft store".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's why I wrote (and you quoted) "Obsidian games will not be reliably available on any other store than the Microsoft store".

You still seem to think you're making some kind of epic point though, and you're not. There's tons of examples of Microsoft games being sold on other services than their own. With Halo being announced for Steam and this being announced for Epic, there's no sign of that changing. There's no real "get used to buying it on their store!" point to make outside your own crystal ball predictions. Also I don't really care if that day comes, my whole point from the start was that I don't give two shits which client I use and then ignore.

Flou

Arbiter
In the interview Feargus mentions they have three-ish team at the moment, one for Outer Worlds, a small one to wrap up Deadfire and another team working on something they can't say at the moment.

So there is another ongoing project and it is probably a project related to Microsoft.

Actually he said they have one working on TOW, two on unannounced projects and the "ish" team is finishing up Deadfire.

So there are basically only three choices:

1. Buy it from Windows Store
2. Pirate it
3. Wait for the Steam version

Hmm....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom