Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review The Outer Worlds Launch Trailer and Reviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds

Obsidian unveiled the launch trailer for The Outer Worlds on Friday, a week ahead of the game's release. With three days to go the reviews are out now too. Allowing reviews before launch day is a sign of confidence in a game's quality, and as you'll see that confidence was for the most part well placed. But first, the trailer:

Here's a list of all of today's reviews of The Outer Worlds. There are a lot of them! Scores generally range from high to very high, although a few notable websites chose to ding the game down for playing it too safe. On the whole, it averages a couple of points higher than Fallout: New Vegas.

App Trigger 8.5/10, Ars Technica
Attack of the Fanboy 4/5, AusGamers 8.5/10
CGMagazine 9/10, COGconnected 91/100
Critical Hit 8/10, The Daily Dot 4.5/5
Daily Star 4/5, Destructoid 9/10
DualShockers 9.5/10, EGM 5/5
Eurogamer, GameCrate 8.25/10
Game Informer 9.25/10, GamingTrend 65/10
Game Rant 4.5/5, Gamers Heroes 9/10
GamesBeat 91/100, GameSpace 9/10
GameSpew 8/10, GameSpot 9/10
GamesRadar+ 4/5, Game Revolution 4.5/5
God is a Geek 8.5/10, Hardcore Gamer 4/5
IGN 8.5/10, Kotaku
Mashable, Metro GameCentral 9/10
MMORPG.com 8/10, PC Gamer 79/100
PCGamesN 7/10, PC Invasion 7/10
PlayStation LifeStyle 10/10, PlayStation Universe 10/10
Polygon, Press Start Australia 8.5/10
Push Square 9/10, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
RPG Site 8/10, Screen Rant 4.5/5
Shacknews 9/10, Stevivor 9.5/10
Time, The Digital Fix 7/10
The Indie Game Website 8/10, TheSixthAxis 8/10
TheXboxHub 5/5, TrueAchievements 4.5/5
Twinfinite 4/5, USgamer 4/5
VGC 4/5, Wccftech 7.8/10
We Got This Covered 5/5, Windows Central 4.5/5
Worth Playing 9/10, Xbox Achievements 92/100​

GameSpot's review also reveals The Outer Worlds' sixth and final companion, who (somewhat predictably) turns out to be an enthusiastic robot named SAM. At this point we've probably seen enough of the game, but in case you want even more, Obsidian will be doing a "Twitch Plays" crowd-directed livestream on their Twitch channel later today at 15:00 PDT.

Outmind

Augur
The reviews are all over the place. Not surprised that IGN gave it their max score. Although I am intrigued by PC Gamer's 79. The reviewer says that the story is fun but that the game is too combat-heavy while said combat is uninspired.

Guess it's Fallout 4, space edition. Who knows, things might improve with a DLC or three. 2020 it is then.

Last edited:

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
as mentioned previously, and as generally understood by those who know...

best option with this game by far is to wait for a year or two... after all DLC and patches have already been inserted and massaged to climax

Outmind

Augur
The reviews are all over the place.
You mean they are all over between 80 and 100? Many developers would like to have scores which are all over the place like that.

Considering the hyperinflation of review scores given to every AAA title that's been plaguing gaming journalism for the past 10+ years, I'd say that they really are all over the place. Getting an 80 is tantamount to saying the game is mediocre nowadays.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The reviews are all over the place.
You mean they are all over between 80 and 100? Many developers would like to have scores which are all over the place like that.

Considering the hyperinflation of review scores given to every AAA title that's been plaguing gaming journalism for the past 10+ years, I'd say that they really are all over the place. Getting an 80 is tantamount to saying the game is mediocre nowadays.
Outer Worlds is not a AAA game, nobody thinks it is. The devs themselves were trying to emphasize this during marketing. And Obsidian was never a darling of game journalist, they were more of a punching bag. So no, these scores are actually pretty.

mindfields

Learned
And there it is, the mainstream FPS-RPG gets all good reviews , meanwhile the PoE series is dead. Might as well just admit now that the party-based traditional CRPG is dead and look foward to a decade of shooters with stats. :dead:

Last edited:

molotov.

Novice
Imagine reading nu-obosidian writing after Disco Elysium lol
What an awful situation! But imagine being a RPG scheduled to be release on an unpopular platform amidst Disco Elysium big successful release.

ciox

Liturgist
Tbh I would have liked more quirky characters beyond just the one robot. Fallout 2/PS:T/Anachronox this shit!

Falksi

Arcane
Eurogamer - "Fades very quickly from the mind."

Gamespew - "It’s just a shame that you spend so much time running though environments that feel deader than Fallout’s wastelands."

Even the retarded reviewers are finally coming round to seeing how boring, soulless & empty these modern Open World games are now.

The game even looks like it's already been done a million times before.

Fuck that. Might pick it up in 3-4 years time at around £5 if there's a gaming drought.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And there it is, the mainstream FPS-RPG gets all good reviews , meanwhile the PoE series is dead. Might as well just admit now that the party-based traditional CRPG is dead and look foward to a decade of shooters with stats. :dead:

The Pillars of Eternity games both had higher review scores than this game (FWIW).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Seems like the consensus is that it's "more of the same" for mainstream audiences to play while waiting for Elder Scrolls 6 / Fallout 5. And that Obsidian played extremely safe, which clashes with the political humor they are using to present the game. Also, combat sucks.

They were extremely lucky to get basically an entire year with no AAA RPGs to be compared to. Still, I'm betting Disco Elysium will grab all the "RPG of the Year" awards.

aratuk

Cipher
Smart move going after the glam rock crowd with that music. They really know their target demo. (I.e., me.)

:despair:

With any luck, the game will perform as well as Marc Bolan coming over a moon bridge in the passenger seat.

Is it gonna be on GOG? Steam-exclusive, probably. Maybe they don't know their demo so well, after all.

Edit: That's right, forgot about the Epic Games / Microsoft exclusive. It's been a long time since I've worn a bicorne.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
A well received game by the game journos of this age is the kind of game I have no intention to play anytime soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom