Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Nice to see a few more people waking up to the truth about Tim Cain.

J2IQ0GI.jpg

Violence, violence never...stops being FUN!

Trashos

Arcane
The death animations of the original Fallout always made me think that a lot of fun was had when they were created. So this is probably not new, and maybe a bit unfair.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The death animations of the original Fallout always made me think that a lot of fun was had when they were created. So this is probably not new, and maybe a bit unfair.

Indeed.
Oh how I miss those visceral animations (and radical critical hit effects). No other game came close to such a satisfying feeling when you gib someone. Certainly not the modern Fallout titles.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's like game developers and gamers alike prefer to have fun. Wasn't it Tim & Leonard that couldn't keep playing the original fallout recently?

100 years after Chaplin, hitting people over the head with sticks is apparently still considered fun by modern-day gamers.

passerby

Arcane
These forced laughs from the devs...

"Games are suppossed to be fun" - forced laugh - proceeds to hit people with baton that turns peoples faces into prosper emoticon, the cringe was strong with this one.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
These forced laughs from the devs...

"Games are suppossed to be fun" - forced laugh - process to hit people with baton that turns peoples faces into prosper emoticon, the cringe was strong with this one.

None of those were forced laughs. Was actually one of the least forced presentations I've seen of a gaming company.
Classic dicking around.

Deleted Member 22431

There's zero reason for developers to have a forum for anything other than bug reports.
If they care about feedback, check other sites that discuss your game. Any developer forum will become a circlejerk.
That doesn't hold for indies though. Don't ask. I don't know why.

Duraframe300

Arcane
There were quite a few laughs that sounded forced to me but that's not the point.

It isn't? Honestly the room laughed and its just as valid an approach as any.
It may sound weird that I have that opinion, but I got that one from experience.

Once we went on a weekend trip presenting a new program we started at our station (radio), we prepared for the presentation for nearly a month. The presentation itself was on saturday, but went home on Sunday. So the local guy we worked with asked us if we wanted to do a mini-thing in the lobby in the evening. So we said yes, but since we didn't expect many people and we didn't just want to do the presentation again we decided to casually talk about it including the whole shabang of dumb jokes and dicking around.

Turns out, the initial presentation got us nearly zero feedback and the dicking around got us at least 12 people that activly support us to this day (with several more who we know that are regular listeners). So, yeah, I have nothing against the approach they've shown since the original reveal and especially in the gameinformer coverage. Sorry.

(They did fuck it all up with the epic reveal and as a result can at best do damage control, regardless of what they do in the future, but that's another story)

Edit: That also doesn't mean that its a tactic that always works. Audiences are different and marketing is about knowing how to approach your audience.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Has this been posted yet? Please click a button and say.
D3OEOidUUAAmWnT.jpg:large

A hunderd times, main reason a lot of people are worried. If its any consolation, apart from charachter art no SJW'sms were shown so far with Leonard Boyarsky reafferming that he took a strong stance to editing/keeping on point. Starks also mentioned in the presentation that Leonard gave her strict instructions.

Of course this could still turn out an SJW fest, but at least its not like on Bloodlines 2 where everyone couldn't stop mentioning how progressive and up-punching the game is.

Edit: To be fair, I haven't followed Bloodlines since the *punching up/down* rhetoric from Mitsoda which got me immensly butthurt (for me was one of the worst arguments used during gamergate) so I'm vastly biased on that.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
Everything they've laughed at felt unfunny and awkward to me. I didn't laugh once, but you are right, the audience laughed with devs few times. It felt like watching some unfunny sitcom.

The crown jewel of the presentation, a quest about auditioning for a movie role and killing other actors with real weapons, was conversation on Tenpenny Tower balcony/ meeting Moira after nuking Megaton in F3 kind of "funny" ( didn't play, saw on youtube ).

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
I think Boyarsky should stop smoking whatever he is smoking becouse no sane person would approve of this "art" style. I cant think of a 3d game from the past decade with worse colours/models than this game, its fucking embarrasing. Especially those amateur hour random npcs. Its like they were given a 3d editor and thats what they came up with just fucking around and then decided to keep it as is.

Bioshock infinite, even if its not to your liking had art style, people behind it obviously knew what they were doing.

Here we have an absolute disaster, a mishmash of every colour with absolutely terrible modelling.

ciox

Liturgist
I cant think of a 3d game from the past decade with worse colours/models than this game

There's been a few, I said all the way back when it was announced in 2017 that it would look like Fallout updated with Horizon Zero Dawn/LawBreakers style aesthetics and I was mostly right

ewfOdsi.jpg

CKpLpPj.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom