Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like how the time-limited disguise mechanic interplays with stealth. As you explore an area in disguise, you're also on the lookout for places to hide so you can recharge it and keep on exploring. Social + stealth combined.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I like how the time-limited disguise mechanic interplays with stealth. As you explore an area in disguise, you're also on the lookout for places to hide so you can recharge it and keep on exploring. Social + stealth combined.
On the other hand, three strikes and you're out feels really gamey.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The face animations are a letdown, but I guess nothing can be done. I wish they had improved on that particular oblivion feature.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Final batch of previews:

Engadget: https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/13/the-outer-worlds-e3-demo-sense-of-humor/
Tech Advisor: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/games/the-outer-worlds-3698073/
TechRadar: https://www.techradar.com/news/the-...y-away-from-its-fallout-roots-and-thats-great

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-outer-worlds/vats

The Outer Worlds’ version of Fallout’s VATS can detect favourite foods
Outer-worlds-food-580x334.jpg

We know that upcoming sci-fci RPG The Outer Worlds from Fallout: New Vegas studio Obsidian will include a Fallout VATS-adjacent system called TTD (Tactical Time Dilation). Used as an aid for aiming weapons at foes, it will have some cool features – as its name implies, it slows time, and also helps you figure out the sweet spots on an enemy’s body to shoot at. What we didn’t know until now is that it has another intriguing feature – you’ll be able to see your targets’ favourite foods.

Introduced in a guided demo of The Outer Worlds at this year’s E3, this feature could potentially give you the upper hand against your enemies – though it’s not totally clear how just yet. It seems that poison will feature to some extent in the game, as during the demo a poisoned blade was shown – perhaps you’ll be able to add a little dose of something to an enemy’s dinner if you’ve used the TTD to learn what that is?

Or maybe learning a goon’s go-to grub will help you out in social scenarios, where you’ll have to draw on any communication-related ‘aptitudes’ you’ve set for your character, and use your knowledge to win over (or get out) a situation. Perhaps dropping in a hint that you’ve got just the right snack could feature into this in the game. Neither is confirmed – but that info will very likely come in handy in some way.

Details on just what kind of foods you might learn about are also currently sparse. In an interview with Outer Worlds Senior Narrative Designer Megan Starks on ShackNews, it was revealed that the game features sausages made of genetically-modified pigs’ tumours, branded ‘Boarst Wurst’. Yuck. IGN also reported that there is some branded bread in-game called Bred. Plus, in Outer Worlds gameplay footage from E3 there are neon signs advertising pancakes (“now with nearmaple flavour!”) and something called “Spacer’s Choice”, with extra artificial ingredients. I can hear the NPCs’ stomachs rumbling already.

Keen to know more about The Outer Worlds? Check out our video below on 6 ways it’s more than Fallout in space.

The Outer Worlds drops on October 25. Be ready to use the TTD – you’ll be dining out on that info for a while.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-outer-worlds/companions

One of the Outer Worlds companions is an alcoholic big game hunter
the-outer-worlds-edgewater-580x334.jpg

It looks like upcoming space RPG The Outer Worlds will have plenty of interesting features. You’ll be able to use dialogue skills in combat, lying, intimidating, and persuading foes to win a fight, and sometimes making them flee in the process. You’ll be able to pick ‘aptitudes’ and ‘flaws’ for your character, making them more dynamic. Pretty intriguingly – you’ll also be able to add an alcoholic big-game hunter as a helpful companion.

Introduced in a guided demo of The Outer Worlds at this year’s E3, Nyoka is a bounty hunter who it seems loves a tipple as much as she does “attacking the big creatures on the planets”. She has some weapon and stealth skills you’ll be able to “use to [y]our advantage”, alongside a new character concept developer Obsidian has created – the Leader type, which has its own perk tree. If you choose to be a Leader, you’ll sacrifice a certain level of personal skill and ability – but pick the right companions and some good things will come back to you. Make Nyoka your companion and it looks like her stealthy and weapon-savvy ways will send some bonuses your way.

Another companion you’ll be able to add is called Ellie. She’s a “fast-talking medic” who’ll give you access to some dialogue skills (“probably lies mostly”, apparently) as well as medical know-how, which could definitely come in handy during a scuffle.

As in its earlier title Fallout: New Vegas, Obsidian seems to be keen to include some intriguing, fleshed-out characters with backstories of their own to the game, and it’s good to know you’ll be able to add some of them to your rag-tag bunch of companions.

Keen to find out more about The Outer Worlds? Check out our video below on 6 ways it’s more than Fallout in space.

We’ve now got a release date of October 25 so it won’t be long now until you can bring Nyoka and Ellie on-board.

jf8350143

Liturgist
We have seen 3 companions so far and their design is kind disappointing to me. Not sure whether we can change their outfit or not.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can tolerate bad face animations, but why the hell would they zoom in so close in this case.
My explanation would be that it's cheaper to zoom in on the area from the shoulders up, than having to create animations for body language. The same solution that Morrowind originally went for.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
We have seen 3 companions so far and their design is kind disappointing to me. Not sure whether we can change their outfit or not.

You're forgetting Parvati:

There are two more companions that haven't been revealed yet.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Parvati so far is the only decent/good looking female.. Ellie has a strange skin problem, to say at least and Nyoka's hair is a giant pink steel wool.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who even cares about companions in a first person action RPG. They only get in the way.

7185f8b4c755e17b1f6f76c935d6a195.jpeg

Diego begs to differ. Granted, Gothic's third person, but the same principle applies. There are plenty of ways to make companions interesting in a first person or third person over-the-shoulder ARPG, talking purely in terms of gameplay. Piranha Bytes does it pretty much every time: make the PC a weak ass bitch who needs the protection of badass compadres to even get from point A to point B during the early game. Mass Effect's ARPG with pause system is maximum popamole, but it lets you get some decent use out of your companions.

It's true that Bethesda has never really managed to make this work (although for all of its faults, Fallout 4's companions were more effective than the typical glorified porters Bethesda saddles you with. Dogmeat holding enemies in place with his big german shepherd jaws was a real step up), and that mostly goes for New Vegas as well. But I think Tim is onto something with this leadership play style for TOW. In the interview after the latest footage, Leonard mentioned that Tim just finished a playthrough using a leader build; apparently it plays very differently. Paraphrasing:
  • Leadership skills and perks make your companions much more powerful in combat and also allow you to get higher bonuses from your companions' skills (your skills always get some level of boost from your companions, but it sounds like that scales with something in the leadership family of skills--IIRC, all skills come in groups of three or four and as long as they're below 50, adding skill points boosts the whole group).
  • It sounded like you can give your companions loose orders in combat if you take certain leadership perks.
  • Leonard said that a leadership build plays more like you're a squad leader, giving orders from the rear. Your combat skills will likely be substantially lower, but your buddies will be overpowered. He said you can't tell them to take specific actions, but "you can send them to clear out a whole area over there." Or something along those lines.
  • Outside of combat, you get to be a jack of all trades, as long as you swap out your companions so you have the right skill loadout for whatever you're doing at the time.

Maybe it will suck--it doesn't 't sound that fun to me--but IMO this is a smart way to integrate RPG systems into an action game. Your build should give you new capabilities that change how the game plays. I think Tim gets that; he's been thinking about how to do this for a very long time.

Prime Junta

I re-watched some of the videos... and, funny thing, but the jank is growing on me. Everything these days tries to go for realism and usually falls right into uncanny valley, this doesn't even try to hide that it's a vidya. Bring on the jank I say.

Or, if you prefer, embrace your failures.

(I dunno where this sudden wash of optimism comes from. Maybe somebody put something in the water, or it's the glorious summer weather with the birds singing, or the endorphin high of being deep into Kerbal Space Program again after the glorious Breaking Ground DLC.)

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
(I dunno where this sudden wash of optimism comes from. Maybe somebody put something in the water, or it's the glorious summer weather with the birds singing, or the endorphin high of being deep into Kerbal Space Program again after the glorious Breaking Ground DLC.)

The gameplay footage is scratching that New Vegas itch. For better or worse.

Quillon

Arcane

They said we can equip them however we want.

And both humans according to Dan McPhee... I was expecting at least one of them to be an animal or a robot.

2 dudes to be revealed or more woman? :D

jf8350143

Liturgist

They said we can equip them however we want.

And both humans according to Dan McPhee... I was expecting at least one of them to be an animal or a robot.

2 dudes to be revealed or more woman? :D

By outfit I mean what they wear outside the combat, like when they are on the ship.

Maybe they will wear whatever we give them on the ship as well.

Quillon

Arcane
Don't think they will separate that, unless they have set casual clothing. Time and budget :P

If they have separate casual clothing, I'd prefer it isn't up to us to choose what they wear. They should change their initial clothing overtime themselves imo, or only 1 time after their quests completed like it was in NV.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/outer-wilds-was-influenced-by-futurama-firefly-1218331

What were your influences for this game?

Firefly and Futurama. I’ve been watching Futurama a lot again lately and the branding in our game is very much influenced by it. We used to be big Simpsons fans and there’s a couple prominent Easter eggs in Fallout that are from the Simpsons. On the writing side, besides Firefly, I had my writers look at things like Wes Anderson, the Coen Brothers, definitely Deadwood and True Grit. Obviously, we didn’t want to go that far, but we really wanted some of that flavor in there. I was also pushing them to read some early Vonnegut.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/outer-wilds-was-influenced-by-futurama-firefly-1218331

What were your influences for this game?

Firefly and Futurama. I’ve been watching Futurama a lot again lately and the branding in our game is very much influenced by it. We used to be big Simpsons fans and there’s a couple prominent Easter eggs in Fallout that are from the Simpsons. On the writing side, besides Firefly, I had my writers look at things like Wes Anderson, the Coen Brothers, definitely Deadwood and True Grit. Obviously, we didn’t want to go that far, but we really wanted some of that flavor in there. I was also pushing them to read some early Vonnegut.

So they confirmed the Futurama reference.. I knew it. It is basically Futurama in space... Not really appealing from a narrative perspective.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I watched that E3 Coliseum interview that was posted here and I must say, if you exclude combat in the open space and the level of roleplaying as shown stays consistent throughout, this game should be very enjoyable similar to how FNV was. In that short demo, and although it was a carefully crafted showcase, you are presented with different paths to reach destination and another set of branches to resolve a quest using variety of skills including combat, hacking, persuasion, stealth, and perhaps traits like charisma. Sounds been there done that but I can't count on my hand the number of titles in the last few years that even attempt this kind of tried and true system let alone set in a sci-fi setting.

And some new details such as armor modding for stealth (via dampened sound, not visual camouflage) and how skills mesh each other, and the depths that seem to underly their thinking in corporate brands and other trappings (expanded banter among party members) make me ever hopeful that this game will deliver on expected quality roleplaying experience while trimming the expensive fat (open world/vehicles, romance, trannies, motion capture, random loot, etc.).

Duraframe300

Arcane
BTW: There are also additional quest solutions according to the previous footage shown in the questlog which don't seem to require you confrontig Clive directly.
Probably only show up if you grill Catherine for them.
(Crystpig Food Supply/Canning machine/Financial records)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom